OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I have to give part 1 another shot. I turned it off halfway through cause I was so bored. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood but I like a lot of the actors in these movies so just need to give it another chance.
I watched it all but I’m with you. Was expecting more. I’ve always heard that the 1st is really just setting up the 2nd one. I will watch when it’s out on Max.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Not sure if there are any Twenty One Pilots fans on this board (guessing probably not, as it seems like most people's music taste here is classic rock or metal), but man I am excited for their upcoming album. Not just for the music, but also completing a 4 album long, complex storyline.

I grew up in the 80's/90's and was a massive grunge fan which fortunately saved me from hair metal which has not aged well. For the longest time, Nine Inch Nails were my favorite band and I still like a lot of their stuff.

I didn't really know of Twenty One Pilots when they were at their peak of popularity around 2015 or so as I haven't listened to regular radio in probably 2 decades - having switched to XM Radio and then Spotify. Really got into them a few years back though and eventually learned about their "lore", which is a storyline that will come to a conclusion with their upcoming album/videos. The 4-minute video below that they released a few days ago sums up much of the storyline, though you can go down rabbit holes for hours on the details of this storyline and clues that they've (often cryptically) released to fans over the years.

Anyway, curious to hear if any other bands have done something along these lines? I know bands have had concept albums before, but haven't heard of an ongoing storyline to this extent played out over a series of albums.

I saw their last tour at Prudential, they always put on good shows if you've never seen them live.

I know in terms of concept storytelling albums over the course of different albums that Coheed and Cambria do something like that too.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I saw their last tour at Prudential, they always put on good shows if you've never seen them live.

I know in terms of concept storytelling albums over the course of different albums that Coheed and Cambria do something like that too.

Saw them at MSG two years ago for the first time, which was also the first concert for both my kids. They put on a phenomenal show...certainly one of the best I've ever seen.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Saw them at MSG two years ago for the first time, which was also the first concert for both my kids. They put on a phenomenal show...certainly one of the best I've ever seen.

If you don't already I highly recommend getting them a nicer set of ear plugs and yourself too. I started wearing them a few years ago and I wish I had done it sooner. I can still hear everything perfectly clearly but I don't leave with ringing in my ears.

Hell I've been debating wearing them to the games because the music is so loud sometimes it sounds louder than a concert and I shouldn't have to yell at the people next to me over the music at a hockey game lol

Reactions: HBK27

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Not sure if there are any Twenty One Pilots fans on this board (guessing probably not, as it seems like most people's music taste here is classic rock or metal), but man I am excited for their upcoming album. Not just for the music, but also completing a 4 album long, complex storyline.

I grew up in the 80's/90's and was a massive grunge fan which fortunately saved me from hair metal which has not aged well. For the longest time, Nine Inch Nails were my favorite band and I still like a lot of their stuff.

I didn't really know of Twenty One Pilots when they were at their peak of popularity around 2015 or so as I haven't listened to regular radio in probably 2 decades - having switched to XM Radio and then Spotify. Really got into them a few years back though and eventually learned about their "lore", which is a storyline that will come to a conclusion with their upcoming album/videos. The 4-minute video below that they released a few days ago sums up much of the storyline, though you can go down rabbit holes for hours on the details of this storyline and clues that they've (often cryptically) released to fans over the years.

Anyway, curious to hear if any other bands have done something along these lines? I know bands have had concept albums before, but haven't heard of an ongoing storyline to this extent played out over a series of albums.

ok well I listened to a few of their songs and liked some of them a lot but I didn't know they were telling a story arc throughout their albums. Watching that video I was like hey I recognize those things from the album Trench. Ohhh....

Very cool. And I do like the Trench album a lot from front to back even if I skip a couple of tunes now and again I appreciate the work.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
ok well I listened to a few of their songs and liked some of them a lot but I didn't know they were telling a story arc throughout their albums. Watching that video I was like hey I recognize those things from the album Trench. Ohhh....

Very cool. And I do like the Trench album a lot from front to back even if I skip a couple of tunes now and again I appreciate the work.

Yeah, Trench is their top album IMO - first 5 songs especially on that album are so good while Neon Gravestones is one of the most powerful songs I've heard. Hoping they go back to that type of sound on the upcoming album, which I think will be the case. That's also the album where they really dove into the story, with Jumpsuit, Nico and the Niners, and Levitate videos (in that order) really advancing the story.

The last album was more upbeat, which I think was due in part to being written during the height of Covid and wanting to present a more positive vibe during darker times, plus also aligning with the storyline of being propaganda and trying to fool the citizens versus their reality.

It's a shame the Livestream they did in 2021 (I believe...but when Covid prevented them from performing live) isn't available anywhere (though the audio version is). I was able to find it a while back, but it has since been removed. Was a really cool performance with different sets and the attention to detail and storyline.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I will say Part 2 while still being incredible was definitely less faithful than Part 1.

That's ok, I understand they need to take some liberties to make it work for screenplay.

And given that the best previous adaptation of the Dune universe was a real time strategy game, (Dune 2) just about anything will be an improvement.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Ugh shitty news. Unfortunately not surprising since we knew he was sick and he didn't look well on this current season of Curb. Always found him to be very funny, especially on Curb. It makes that will storyline on this current season a lot more on the nose but that was probably his idea knowing his humor. RIP...

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ugh shitty news. Unfortunately not surprising since we knew he was sick and he didn't look well on this current season of Curb. Always found him to be very funny, especially on Curb. It makes that will storyline on this current season a lot more on the nose but that was probably his idea knowing his humor. RIP...

Thanks for sharing that. He will be fondly remembered by comedy fans thanks to Larry David.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
We’ve been watching Death and Other Details on Hulu. Very interesting series, but somewhat frustrating.

I find myself getting drawn into the intrigue of the murder mystery, only to be repeatedly jarred out of it when the writing turns shaggy with some clunky and insipid cliche.

Oh and I love Mandy Patinkin, but he should have reconsidered the dreadful British accent.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Dune 2 was phenomenal. I think all of the changes from the source material were all justified and made it more coherent.

Herbert was extremely good with themes and allegories, but I find a lot of his character/plot work to be very clunky. Villeneuve's version is a much better story, IMO. The character arcs are more complete and the resolutions feel more earned.

Looks like they're going full steam ahead for Dune: Messiah which I'm all for.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Dune 2 was phenomenal. I think all of the changes from the source material were all justified and made it more coherent.

Herbert was extremely good with themes and allegories, but I find a lot of his character/plot work to be very clunky. Villeneuve's version is a much better story, IMO. The character arcs are more complete and the resolutions feel more earned.

Looks like they're going full steam ahead for Dune: Messiah which I'm all for.

I missed baby Alia. Also sucks Thuffir got cut but ultimately that's kind of whatever. My only real main concern is I hope it doesn't take too long for Paul and Chani to get back together in Messiah. I wish they could've resolved things here and had them together for all of Messiah rather than having to take time out of Messiah to reconcile the relationship

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I missed baby Alia. Also sucks Thuffir got cut but ultimately that's kind of whatever. My only real main concern is I hope it doesn't take too long for Paul and Chani to get back together in Messiah. I wish they could've resolved things here and had them together for all of Messiah rather than having to take time out of Messiah to reconcile the relationship
Baby Alia was fun in the books but IMO it would have been really out of place tonally in this movie. That scene in the book is campy and absurd, it fits in much better with Lynch's Dune than Villeneuve's Dune which is a lot more grounded and serious. I think having Paul kill the Baron felt much more right here, Paul is the one that is constantly talking about avenging his father and it felt much more satisfying for him to be the one to do it.

I actually really like the Alia dynamic in the movie, basically beginning the movie with the spice agony and the abomination. The transformation of Jessica from the warm motherly figure into a much more menacing and controlling character was shocking and Rebecca Ferguson was phenomenal. The conversations she has with Alia are kind of creepy but in a really interesting way. You get the feeling that Alia is kind of pulling Jessica's strings at some moments.

The movie was a lot more Chani-centric than I expected, but I guess if you're casting Zendaya then you might as well get your money's worth. I really liked the dynamic between Chani and Gurney, as the sort of angel/devil on Paul's shoulder.

Definitely agree with Thufir, hopefully we get a Director's Cut with those scenes. I also wish we had a few more scenes with Feyd-Rautha, he was very good but I felt they introduced him a bit late in the movie to be as impactful as they were hoping. Still a fun character.

Javier Bardem as Stilgar was phenomenal casting, I can't wait to see his arc in Messiah.

Reactions: Hisch13r and Saugus

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I thought Dune 2 was great too, and most of the changes in characterization from what they were in the book were good ones.

Chani being more skeptical of Paul as he grows in power, Stilgar leaning into his religious fanaticism, Feyd-Rautha being even more sadistic, Irulan explicitly following Bene Gesserit orders, all good changes.

I didn't like as much that they had Jessica hide from Paul that she knew of their Harkonnen ancestry, whereas in the book she didn't know and he surprises her with it. One important theme in the book is that Paul knows he can always trust his mother even when other characters don't, and this kind of goes against that.

I thought they also did a good job nodding to the lore for people who read the books, but without it being too dense to follow for those who haven't. Several times I thought to myself, I'll need to explain this to my wife later, and half the time the movie explained it right after.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Baby Alia was fun in the books but IMO it would have been really out of place tonally in this movie. That scene in the book is campy and absurd, it fits in much better with Lynch's Dune than Villeneuve's Dune which is a lot more grounded and serious. I think having Paul kill the Baron felt much more right here, Paul is the one that is constantly talking about avenging his father and it felt much more satisfying for him to be the one to do it.

I actually really like the Alia dynamic in the movie, basically beginning the movie with the spice agony and the abomination. The transformation of Jessica from the warm motherly figure into a much more menacing and controlling character was shocking and Rebecca Ferguson was phenomenal. The conversations she has with Alia are kind of creepy but in a really interesting way. You get the feeling that Alia is kind of pulling Jessica's strings at some moments.

The movie was a lot more Chani-centric than I expected, but I guess if you're casting Zendaya then you might as well get your money's worth. I really liked the dynamic between Chani and Gurney, as the sort of angel/devil on Paul's shoulder.

Definitely agree with Thufir, hopefully we get a Director's Cut with those scenes. I also wish we had a few more scenes with Feyd-Rautha, he was very good but I felt they introduced him a bit late in the movie to be as impactful as they were hoping. Still a fun character.

Javier Bardem as Stilgar was phenomenal casting, I can't wait to see his arc in Messiah.

Alia is one of my favorite parts of the book. I think they could've found a way to make it work in the movie. It still could've been Paul that kills the Baron (even though I think Alia with the whole Baron in her head thing would've worked too) but I just wish she was in there.

Yeah Jessica is wayyyyyyy more sinister here than in the books. I think the scene with Paul after she takes the Water of Life where she tells Paul he needs to take it as well and she starts talking in Chakobsa and says "you will see" was definitely Alia coming through.

Yeah the Gurney and Chani stuff was nice. I like the way they sort of flipped Chani and Stillgar's characterization as well. Chani was a blind believer and Stillgar was more of a skeptic and here it's the opposite. I think it made both of them better

One of the things that really sucks about Thuffir getting cut is that it also cut out Feyd stuff. He said his favorite stuff to film was his scenes with Feyd. I imagine those scenes were soooooo good. Denis hates deleted scenes too so probably won't even ever see them. Coming into the film I was hoping they were going to open with Feyd

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00