OT: Consolidated Entertainment Thread (TV, Movies, Books, Games) V- Use Spoiler Tags!

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Just finished watching Squid Game, thought it was excellent.

Now we're starting You're the Worst on Hulu. Older show, but I hear it's funny.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Just finished watching Squid Game, thought it was excellent.

Now we're starting You're the Worst on Hulu. Older show, but I hear it's funny.

squid game was a decent binge watch

there's also alice in borderland …similar plot idea….

and 3%…… same premise basically …..games and competition to see who 'survives'……but ya…….it's all about the suspension of disbelief with this genre

Reactions: Satans Hockey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
squid game was a decent binge watch

there's also alice in borderland …similar plot idea….

and 3%…… same premise basically …..games and competition to see who 'survives'……but ya…….it's all about the suspension of disbelief with this genre

when I was growing up with my brothers we used to call that “dinner”

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Rented Old Henry this last weekend, a Western starring Tim Blake Nelson, who was in the Ballad of Buster Scruggs and O Brother, Where Art Though? It's kind of a slow burn, but I did enjoy the twist at the end (which I felt like a complete idiot for not figuring out sooner). If you like Westerns I'd recommend it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Looking forward to watching Dune tomorrow night. I've always been a big fan of the book. It was long reputed to be unadaptable, but Denis Villeneuve seems to have managed it well according to reviews I've seen.

I don't know anything about the book and only saw a few bits of the commercials but it looks cool, definitely looking forward to checking out the movie.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Foundation is another unadaptable sci-fi property but so far they’ve done a pretty good job of keeping some beats and philosophies while re-doing bits for a TV medium.

Only 5 episodes in so they could still fall flat on their face but so far I’m enjoying it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Unadaptable or just requiring multiple movies with tough ending choices in each installment?

It certainly helps that they let him split it into multiple movies. But virtually anything would be an improvement over the 1984 David Lynch shitfest with goddam Sting!

The story and setting require a lot of exposition for people who haven't read the books, and the nuances of the dialogue and action are hard to convey with traditional screenwriting. I'll be interested to see how they've pulled it off here.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Id be shocked if they make a 2nd Dune movie. Even if it is "good" it has to make enough bank for the studio to consider it... Villeneuve makes amazing movies, but never pop at the box offices like the studios want.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Foundation is another unadaptable sci-fi property but so far they’ve done a pretty good job of keeping some beats and philosophies while re-doing bits for a TV medium.

Only 5 episodes in so they could still fall flat on their face but so far I’m enjoying it.

Is this show very slow? I’ve struggled with starting it.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Id be shocked if they make a 2nd Dune movie. Even if it is "good" it has to make enough bank for the studio to consider it... Villeneuve makes amazing movies, but never pop at the box offices like the studios want.

Rumors are that HBO has already greenlit the 2nd one and is prepared for this one to be more of setting the tone for the next one.

Reactions: My3Sons

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

It's possible they leave it hanging, but that would be really sad to see another adaptation fail. Villeneuve might have enough goodwill to convince someone to let him finish it.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings which I found painfully slow to read when I was young (sure it was carved into newly formed and just hardened volcanic glass in cuneiform back then but the earth had only recently cooled and it was the best we could do), so I hold out hope for Dune. I agree the 1980s version was disjointed at best.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's possible they leave it hanging, but that would be really sad to see another adaptation fail. Villeneuve might have enough goodwill to convince someone to let him finish it.

The director has already said the 2nd movie with be Zendayas movie. I think the studio is preparing to not make as much money as they originally had hoped.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is this show very slow? I’ve struggled with starting it.

I do think it’s slow at the start. On the other hand it’s much faster than the books. The show also stops holding your hand pretty quickly so that may or may not feel too fast for some viewers.

They’ve taken some things that were ideas and concepts in the book and created people and faces to those ideas so there is interaction to see setup or resolution rather than having it monologued. That makes the show feel faster.

There is a lot of setup as it’s a series really based around a concept so they have to lay the right “foundation” or the show won’t have good footing later.

If they ever do Asimov’s robot novellas then I think it’ll be a similar situation.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings which I found painfully slow to read when I was young (sure it was carved into newly formed and just hardened volcanic glass in cuneiform back then but the earth had only recently cooled and it was the best we could do), so I hold out hope for Dune. I agree the 1980s version was disjointed at best.

Lord of the Rings was well adapted. Cut out a lot of the slow stuff for the theatrical releases, but filmed everything for the hardcore nerds in the extended editions.

His Dark Materials is another sci-fi/fantasy franchise that has had some adaptation trouble. The Golden Compass movie was pretty faithful to the story and well-acted, but was a box office flop and will never get the planned sequels.

They have a series on HBO now, and it's been ok but I can't quite get into it. Some of the details seem off, and that really matters for a series like that where setting and atmosphere are so important.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I do think it’s slow at the start. On the other hand it’s much faster than the books. The show also stops holding your hand pretty quickly so that may or may not feel too fast for some viewers.

They’ve taken some things that were ideas and concepts in the book and created people and faces to those ideas so there is interaction to see setup or resolution rather than having it monologued. That makes the show feel faster.

There is a lot of setup as it’s a series really based around a concept so they have to lay the right “foundation” or the show won’t have good footing later.

If they ever do Asimov’s robot novellas then I think it’ll be a similar situation.

It’s on my list but with so many streaming options, something normally has to really jump out at me to give it a try.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Lord of the Rings was well adapted. Cut out a lot of the slow stuff for the theatrical releases, but filmed everything for the hardcore nerds in the extended editions.

His Dark Materials is another sci-fi/fantasy franchise that has had some adaptation trouble. The Golden Compass movie was pretty faithful to the story and well-acted, but was a box office flop and will never get the planned sequels.

They have a series on HBO now, and it's been ok but I can't quite get into it. Some of the details seem off, and that really matters for a series like that where setting and atmosphere are so important.

I'm more a horror guy than Sci-Fi guy. Sci-Fi is notoriously tricky to get right. When it's done right it can be great. Sometimes it's held down by the weight of its implications for humanity. Something like Prometheus for example, had great promise and I liked it but it the whole "we were just dumped here by aliens as an experiment that they were going to terminate if their WMD didn't backfire on them" concept added some complexity and slowed it down more than it needed.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
It’s on my list but with so many streaming options, something normally has to really jump out at me to give it a try.

Same here. Also, my wife didn't like it and wanted to start a different series and I haven't found the time to get back to it on my own yet. Probably will eventually.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad