Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VII: Hart, Ross & Lindsay Winner | 100 Points In 53 Games!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Please don't kill me for interloping on your boards. I just want to congratulate you all for having such a dynamic, once in a lifetime type player on your team. What he does in a normal year is incredible, what he did this year is absolutely historic and is something we'll be telling our grandkids about. That is all and hopefully our big gun can go head to head against your big gun in round 2.
Twice in a lifetime...But otherwise thanks. :)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Pittsburgh hockey writer Rob Rossi of The Athletic
McDavid will win Hart. He’s the best player. Hart isn’t for best player. Or top scorer. If you don’t agree that best player and/or top scorer shouldn’t win Hart every season, change the criteria… All games were in division. Every division has bad teams. Some are top heavy. Others are deeper. But with four divisions and all games within each division, finishing first matters more than most seasons… Those that follow know I make this case about Hart Trophy every season. This time it just happens to be my opinion that Crosby was most valuable to a division-wining team. Doesn’t mean I’m anti-McDavid. But I would, were I to vote, probably have Matthews over him from North.

Absolutely
mindboggling. How this guy can vote?? Lost all credibility.

Honestly, I think he just accepts that the vote is already in the bag so now he wants to use his vote/platform to make a statement. Only thing that really explains his first sentence. The whole first in the division thing makes no sense since there's four teams finishing first, makes it kind of funny that it just "happens" to be Crosby - Why not Stone or Matthews. I think my ballot were I to have one would be McDavid, Matthews, Crosby. So it's not outrageous to nominate him, but this seems more like a statement vote than anything else. Which is not really what the platform is supposed to be for...but here we are.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
McDavid will win Hart. He’s the best player. Hart isn’t for best player. Or top scorer. If you don’t agree that best player and/or top scorer shouldn’t win Hart every season, change the criteria… All games were in division. Every division has bad teams. Some are top heavy. Others are deeper. But with four divisions and all games within each division, finishing first matters more than most seasons… Those that follow know I make this case about Hart Trophy every season. This time it just happens to be my opinion that Crosby was most valuable to a division-wining team. Doesn’t mean I’m anti-McDavid. But I would, were I to vote, probably have Matthews over him from North.

Absolutely

He is also on the PHWA Executive board. Frightening.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I don't know if this has been posted already, but @bellagiobob 's post over in the PGT sparked my interest in GWG per GP.

Here is the list of the top 15 players all-time (>25 GWG total) in GWG per 82 GP:
(I included their birth years for reference)
1. Cy Denneny (1891) 12.46
2. Babe Dye (1898) 9.04
3. Connor McDavid (1997) 8.91
4. Nels Stewart (1902) 8.83
5. Mike Bossy (1957) 8.72
6. Auston Matthews (1997) 8.64
7. Carson Cooper (1897) 8.06
8. Alex Ovechkin (1985) 7.95
9. Aurel Joliat (1901) 7.76
10. Bobby Hull (1939) 7.56
11. Phil Esposito (1942) 7.55
12. Bill Cook (1895) 7.25
13. Brayden Point (1996) 7.24
14. Guy Lafleur (1951) 7.14
15. Brett Hull (1964) 7.11

Other notables: 17. M.Richard, 19. P.Bure, 24. Lemieux, 27. Jagr, 34. G.Anderson, 41. Stamkos ...

Edit: In before someone points it out to me, I don't necessarily expect either McDavid or Matthews to remain as high up as they are once their careers are done. They came into their primes early, and I would expect a healthy amount of years at the tail ends of their respective careers where they will not be able to keep up this pace. Pretty cool to see though, and of course McDavid scores more important goals than Matthews, that is a comparison that can be made :thumbu:

Last edited:

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Absolutely

Currently 40 points more than Crosby and 37 more than Matthews.
More assists than either has points.
Absolutely lethal & spectacular Game winning Goals and primary assists on Game Winning Goals.

Like having ~40 more points in a 50-some game season isn't reflective of having more value?

Only case I would hear would be for an outstanding defenseman or goal tender, but these fools are comparing forwards lol.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Absolutely
How does finishing first this year matter more than other years? If anything, it matters LESS, with no or few fans in the stands.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yes, Tippett has said he won't take him out, but will likely reduce minutes.

I just don't get this. You saw him very slightly injure his finger in the last game. Nothing major and he'll be fine by the looks of it, but weird things can happen in a contact sport. There is exceptionally little benefit of keeping him in the games, unless you believe that the best player in the world will forget how to play hockey if he has a week off, which seems a rather dubious claim. There is significant risk involved though, in a risk matrix analysis of the situation, the likelihood of injury is low (probably a low or unlikely rating), but the impact of an injury would be ranked as a high/critical. If I was assessing an IT implementation (I'm in IT as a career) and the risk analysis was such that it was rated low and critical, and the risk mitigation (in this case avoidance) didn't cost the company anything to enable, I would 100% tell them to enact that mitigation strategy. Why is this any different?

The cost of avoidance is negligible, and is likely actually zero. It is baffling that they are keeping him in the lineup.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I just don't get this. You saw him very slightly injure his finger in the last game. Nothing major and he'll be fine by the looks of it, but weird things can happen in a contact sport. There is exceptionally little benefit of keeping him in the games, unless you believe that the best player in the world will forget how to play hockey if he has a week off, which seems a rather dubious claim. There is significant risk involved though, in a risk matrix analysis of the situation, the likelihood of injury is low (probably a low or unlikely rating), but the impact of an injury would be ranked as a high/critical. If I was assessing an IT implementation (I'm in IT as a career) and the risk analysis was such that it was rated low and critical, and the risk mitigation (in this case avoidance) didn't cost the company anything to enable, I would 100% tell them to enact that mitigation strategy. Why is this any different?

The cost of avoidance is negligible, and is likely actually zero. It is baffling that they are keeping him in the lineup.

I don't want Connor or Leon not playing for 9 days. I want them to keep the machine rolling in the next two games, which are very evenly spaced out. You want to be hitting on all cylinders come playoff time, with the team at their maximum confidence level. Taking out one or two guys also has a ripple effect, in that it likely screws up every line, as guys are moved up the lineup. Bottom line is you don't screw with success and what is working right before the playoffs, when there is no good reason to.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't want Connor or Leon not playing for 9 days. I want them to keep the machine rolling in the next two games, which are very evenly spaced out. You want to be hitting on all cylinders come playoff time, with the team at their maximum confidence level. Taking out one or two guys also has a ripple effect, in that it likely screws up every line, as guys are moved up the lineup. Bottom line is you don't screw with success and what is working right before the playoffs, when there is no good reason to.

Well there IS a good reason to though, its to avoid the chance of injury during meaningless games. You are basically arguing that McDrai are unable to "turn it back on" after a short break. I disagree with that personally, but you might be right.

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
A little off topic
Eberle: 551 points
RNH: 477 points
Taylor Hall: 596 points
McDavid: 571 points

McDavid is flying by these guys playing 5 less seasons.

Heck, McDavid has an outside chance of passing Weight on the Oilers all-time scoring list by Saturday (6 points in 2 games to tie, 7 or more points to pass). Admittedly, it's a stretch given that load management is going to be a thing, but you never know with McDavid.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Well there IS a good reason to though, its to avoid the chance of injury during meaningless games. You are basically arguing that McDrai are unable to "turn it back on" after a short break. I disagree with that personally, but you might be right.

I'm not saying they can't turn it back on, but you don't fix what ain't broke. Much like how Connor plays, you don't play/coach/manage based on fear,whether that is fear of injury, or some other unknown. Sports have too many variables that you can't readily quantify that make it not a great fit for a risk matrix. I understand the logic behind wanting to rest them to avoid injury, but it is outweighed by all of the other minuses that can happen when team chemistry and routine are altered so close to playoff time. Hockey players are creatures of habit, and excel in a routine. Not the time to be messing with it. But like I said, I understand both sides of the argument.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I don't know if this has been posted already, but @bellagiobob 's post over in the PGT sparked my interest in GWG per GP.

Here is the list of the top 15 players all-time (>25 GWG total) in GWG per 82 GP:
2. Babe Dye (1898) 9.04

Other notables: 17. M.Richard, 19. P.Bure, 24. Lemieux, 27. Jagr, 34. G.Anderson, 41. Stamkos ...

Edit: In before someone points it out to me, I don't necessarily expect either McDavid or Matthews to remain as high up as they are once their careers are done. They came into their primes early, and I would expect a healthy amount of years at the tail ends of their respective careers where they will not be able to keep up this pace. Pretty cool to see though, and of course McDavid scores more important goals than Matthews, that is a comparison that can be made :thumbu:

I always thought McDavid was kind of a poor man's Babe Dye.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not saying they can't turn it back on, but you don't fix what ain't broke. Much like how Connor plays, you don't play/coach/manage based on fear,whether that is fear of injury, or some other unknown. Sports have too many variables that you can't readily quantify that make it not a great fit for a risk matrix. I understand the logic behind wanting to rest them to avoid injury, but it is outweighed by all of the other minuses that can happen when team chemistry and routine are altered so close to playoff time. Hockey players are creatures of habit, and excel in a routine. Not the time to be messing with it. But like I said, I understand both sides of the argument.

Yeah I get your point. Hockey players are not IT systems, that is for sure, lol. Hockey players, almost more than any other sport (maybe baseball is worse actually), are creatures of habit as you said. If McDrai are adamant about staying in the games, even after talking it through, then maybe you keep them in and hope that everything you've worked for all season isn't destroyed on one of a million random plays that can take a player out for a few weeks or more. I just think that if you broke down the risks to them, they would see the logic of it personally, but we are talking about young men here who think they are indestructible, and those type of men tend to not be so smrt.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Does anyone know how many times a player has had more assists than every non teammate had points in a season? He still has a shot at doing just that.

Reactions: McDreamy

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Does anyone know how many times a player has had more assists than every non teammate had points in a season? He still has a shot at doing just that.

I can't even think of more than a couple times.

Gretzky in 86-87 is the last time it's happened, right?

Gretzky also did it in 82-83, 84-85, 85-86. 90-91 was close, but Brett Hull exploded that year.

So, 4 times?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

2. Babe Dye (1898) 9.04

I'm curious as to why the huge gulf in natural born winners from 1899-1996.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad