Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VII: Hart, Ross & Lindsay Winner | 100 Points In 53 Games!

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Yup, think that's him. Searched and looks like he voted Pasta for the Hart last year. Think marchand before. Likely has been doing it a long time.

Not surprised. He's literally another Jack Edwards with the bruins.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
screenshot_20210509-004826_twitter-jpg.431774

what a f***ing idiot.

Dieseloil

Jul 31, 2016
I’m old, saw Orr live in TO. We had season’s tickets to the Oilers both in WHA and NHL, saw all the usual suspects, this McDavid guy is bar none the fastest most electrifying player i’ve ever seen. To me Mario was most gifted player i’ve ever seen, Connor is right behind him, and Gretzky was the best. Just my humble opinion.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I just posted this on the mains and wanted to share it here to show just how incredible of a season Connor is having.

No less than 22 players had 90 or more points that season (95-96), no less than 12 players had 100 or more points in that season. The top ES points/game player that season was Jagr with 95EVP in 82 games (1.16), Lemieux had 73EVP in 70 games (1.04). McDavid this season has 65EVP in 53 games (1.23).

The Penguins averaged 5.12 PP's a game and had a 26% PP with the likes of Lemieux, Jagr, Zubov and Francis

The Oilers average 3.15 PP's a game and are at 26.4% this season.

The Penguins scored 109 PPG's in 82 games and Mario had 79 PP points meaning that he factored into 0.725% of Pittsburgh's PP goals which is insane since he missed 12 games.

The Oilers have scored 46 PPG's in 53 games and McDavid has 35 PP points meaning that he factored into 0.66% of Edmonton's PP goals.

As amazing as it is to say, McDavid is the better ES player between the two comparing this current season to Mario's in '95-96 but Mario was definitely the better PP player.

If we roughly add 2 PP's per game to the Oilers and figure that McDavid and the Oilers continued the same rate of success, the Oilers would have scored another 28 PP goals and he would've added about 18-19 points to his current total. 118 points in 53 games = 2.23 points/game which is just shy of Mario's 2.3 ppg from that season.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
After his 4 point game against Vancouver:

3 games left with 100 points in the bag. How many will he end up with? He's currently sitting at 1.887 points/game. These are the remaining games left:

Vancouver 1 game
Montreal 2 games

Stats vs. each remaining team:
Vancouver 9gp. 8-13-21 (2.33ppg)
Montreal 7gp. 2-6-8 (1.14ppg)

boatsNhossa

Jun 24, 2015
Do you keep McDavid back in Edmonton, instead of travelling to Montreal and play him in the last game for as many shifts as he wants (tune up game) with the mentality montreal might try to take liberties against him in the 2 games or play him the last 3.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Anaheim's commentary crew already called out the Toronto media this season for even suggesting Matthews should win the Hart. He's still going to get homer votes from idiots like Chris Johnston, but it shouldn't be close in the end.

TSN the other day had Ferraro saying "McDavid should win but..." as if there is some caveat.
All Toronto media is shit

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I’m old, saw Orr live in TO. We had season’s tickets to the Oilers both in WHA and NHL, saw all the usual suspects, this McDavid guy is bar none the fastest most electrifying player i’ve ever seen. To me Mario was most gifted player i’ve ever seen, Connor is right behind him, and Gretzky was the best. Just my humble opinion.
I was pretty young when Gretz was in his prime, so didn't appreciate him as much as I should have. I've watched some of the games over again in the past few years, and it was a different game for sure. So much open ice compared to now. So its hard to compare. I still think Gretz has better vision and can see the game overall better, but I am not convinced he'd be better than Connor in today's game. Might be unpopular, but just my feeling. Connor's speed is what breaks it open for him.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I only watched Orr on video and had my dad and grandpa tell me about him. It was pretty unreal how he could just skate through everyone. McDavid has always been the most like Orr to me. Lemiuex was absurd and his combination of size and skill with the puck is unparalleled. Gretzky flat out changed the game with set plays and amazing agility to go with unreal vision and hands. Those two were what I grew up on. Crosby, Bourque, Lidstrom, Ovechkin are great but none of them are at that level or greatness. Those 3 were so unreal I don't think anyone can top them only match them and it looks like McDavid is doing just that. Ridiculous.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think I am one of Conner McDavids biggest critics.

I wasn't sure his speed alone would be enough to dominate the league at first... but then he adapted and then some.

I am still critical of his two way play but this year... so good.

I thought he would be a great star but a bit short of a truly amazing player like Mario or Gretzky.

In a cap world I thought it would be mathematically impossible for any player to be worth 12.5 million. 2.5 million more than anyone at the time and those few grossly overpaid as well.

This year. That game last night. His play this year. Phenomenal. Magical. Truly awesome inspiring. Worth his 12.5 mill.

It's been a long time when you can literally and unbiased talk about a player being almost as good as Gretzky and Lemieux. While I still have him below those two as of this year and think they are untouchable but who knows maybe he can even challenge some of those perceptions moving forward.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Do you keep McDavid back in Edmonton, instead of travelling to Montreal and play him in the last game for as many shifts as he wants (tune up game) with the mentality montreal might try to take liberties against him in the 2 games or play him the last 3.

IMO you play him the 1st game against Montreal and the final game against Vancouver. Although if there is going to be a 10 day break before the playoffs start maybe just play him in all 3 games and if things get chippy keep him on the bench and return the favor to the other team(s).

Reactions: Dieseloil

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
IMO you play him the 1st game against Montreal and the final game against Vancouver. Although if there is going to be a 10 day break before the playoffs start maybe just play him in all 3 games and if things get chippy keep him on the bench and return the favor to the other team(s).

I don't see him sitting, he's too competitive. They did lock down 2nd so maybe they do it but I'd be surprised. If they do sit him I envision the scenario you laid out but I suspect they'd have to win the first game to do it. Although perhaps they treat the Vancouver game as a preseason game and consider the year over after the Montreal series. It might make sense to see what some of the depth guys can do and rest players who are dinged up.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Tipp already said he’s not resting guys. It’s too bad Kass is out right now, because Nurse is our only other deterrent really if things do get chippy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Tipp already said he’s not resting guys. It’s too bad Kass is out right now, because Nurse is our only other deterrent really if things do get chippy

Yeah we don't want Khaira fighting and if Nurse gets hurt our season is toast. I think that we should add a little more functional toughness this offseason.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The king of the NHL, he brought a tear to my eye last night. On another note, something needs to be done about hockey media in this country. Saturday game on HNIC, and the only panelist who is smiling about an amazing feat by an Edmonton Oiler is Kelly freaking Hrudey. Friedman makes a veiled comment about the penalty against Van being weak. I don’t want the Oilers to win a cup on HNIC, they’ll find a way to spoil the magic.

ps people here seem to like Elliott Friedman for some reason, but this man is a snake. On January 29th of this year on Oilers Now, he stated “I don’t know why anyone would be surprised by it at this point” regarding a McDavid trade request.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Watch any old Bruin vs Oiler game. Steve Kasper was never a foot away from Gretz in the games in Boston. Literally covered him like a blanket. It was pretty bad.

The hooking and the holding from that time is pretty comical to look back on. The NHL has struggled since I've been watching to really get it right. Post lockout was a little much with some of the obstruction calls but it was the closest to reasonable we got for a few years.

The Europeans in contrast call the actual rules and it's sometimes shocking. Sometimes it's too ticky-tacky but I've come to appreciate their style of officiating a little bit more as I've gotten older. It's not perfect either but it is consistent and game management isn't a thing.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The king of the NHL, he brought a tear to my eye last night. On another note, something needs to be done about hockey media in this country. Saturday game on HNIC, and the only panelist who is smiling about an amazing feat by an Edmonton Oiler is Kelly freaking Hrudey. Friedman makes a veiled comment about the penalty against Van being weak. I don’t want the Oilers to win a cup on HNIC, they’ll find a way to spoil the magic.

ps people here seem to like Elliott Friedman for some reason, but this man is a snake. On January 29th of this year on Oilers Now, he stated “I don’t know why anyone would be surprised by it at this point” regarding a McDavid trade request.

It's not Hockey Night in Canada anymore for me. Sportsnet isn't capable of it, it's just another garbage telecast by a garbage network. There's some good things they do but anybody good at their job is the exception not the rule. Sportsnet has always been a second rate operation in pretty much everything they do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don't see him sitting, he's too competitive. They did lock down 2nd so maybe they do it but I'd be surprised. If they do sit him I envision the scenario you laid out but I suspect they'd have to win the first game to do it. Although perhaps they treat the Vancouver game as a preseason game and consider the year over after the Montreal series. It might make sense to see what some of the depth guys can do and rest players who are dinged up.

I think that the long layoffs from COVID delays actually served us pretty well. IMO the room is now mature enough to not allow it to be a distraction and allow a ton of rust to build up in their games. I could also see Connor wanting to play all 3, he has an outside shot at 2 points/game and knowing Connor he'd want to give it a go.

Reactions: Samus44

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I wasn't sure his speed alone would be enough to dominate the league at first... but then he adapted and then some.

I thought he would be a great star but a bit short of a truly amazing player like Mario or Gretzky.

In a cap world I thought it would be mathematically impossible for any player to be worth 12.5 million. 2.5 million more than anyone at the time and those few grossly overpaid as well.

This year. That game last night. His play this year. Phenomenal. Magical. Truly awesome inspiring. Worth his 12.5 mill.

It's been a long time when you can literally and unbiased talk about a player being almost as good as Gretzky and Lemieux. While I still have him below those two as of this year and think they are untouchable but who knows maybe he can even challenge some of those perceptions moving forward.
He's worth way more than his 12.5 mil and I've argued that for a long time because he's the only player who can legitimately lead the league with 3rd liners spending large portions of the season on his line. You can get similar or in most cases better results with McDavid on the ice with cheap wingers than you can for just about any star line up in the NHL. This season he's just blown everyone away now that he has a good stable running mate in Puljujarvi while still getting his share of Draisaitl.

If McDavid plays the last 3 games of the season he is going to finish the season being on the ice for more goals scored than either Anaheim or Detroit scored this season. He's legitimately worth more than either team's entire roster. Almost triple as valuable when you consider he plays just over 1/3 of a game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

In all honesty too, Gretzky and Lemieux barely played any defence. The 80s Oilers would leave Fuhr on an island by himself for periods at a time.

Mario somehow managed to only be +10 in a season he score 160 points, meaning he was on the ice for a shit ton of goals against.

McDavid has a heavier burden put on him too because his team is not overall as good, if he doesn't generate points (often multiple points), the odds are high the team loses that night.

Crosby wasn't a great defensive player at age 24 either, he is more like a uber talented 3rd liner/grinder in a way, his play style is very different, Connor is more in the vein of Gretzky/Lemieux all-offensive attack all the time style.

Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane are not great defensive players either.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad