Player Discussion Connor McDavid Part VII: Hart, Ross & Lindsay Winner | 100 Points In 53 Games!

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
So now that McDavid has hit 100, how many points does he finish with this year and what will his final P/GP be? If he continues at the same pace he's been at over the past 11 games he'll hit 109 points. If he goes 2 P/GP over the last 3 games he'll finish at 106 points. Besides team success, what is McDavid aiming for now? 110 points?
  • 106 points = 1.89 P/GP
  • 109 points = 1.95 P/GP
  • 110 points = 1.96 P/GP
  • 112 points = 2.00 P/GP
People thought 100 points was out of reach not long ago and then McDavid reached 100 with 3 games to spare so I'm not putting anything past Connor. Given that any more points now is gravy anyways I'll just be enjoying the ride and marveling at what a treat it is to watch him play every night.

Reactions: Samus44

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah we don't want Khaira fighting and if Nurse gets hurt our season is toast. I think that we should add a little more functional toughness this offseason.

Ya, I’m sure Khaira would fight, but we need him to hold off. He’s returned to being a valuable 4C, so we can’t risk him getting another concussion this year.

So now that McDavid has hit 100, how many points does he finish with this year and what will his final P/GP be? If he continues at the same pace he's been at over the past 11 games he'll hit 109 points. If he goes 2 P/GP over the last 3 games he'll finish at 106 points. Besides team success, what is McDavid aiming for now? 110 points?
  • 106 points = 1.89 P/GP
  • 109 points = 1.95 P/GP
  • 110 points = 1.96 P/GP
  • 112 points = 2.00 P/GP
People thought 100 points was out of reach not long ago and then McDavid reached 100 with 3 games to spare so I'm not putting anything past Connor. Given that any more points now is gravy anyways I'll just be enjoying the ride and marveling at what a treat it is to watch him play every night.

I feel like 107 is reasonable at this point. His pace to finish the year is nuts though, so maybe he hits 110

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

tenor.gif

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Interesting to note that last year Rossi voted for Panarin as the Hart winner (and didn't have Draisaitl on his ballot at all). So this year playing on a division winner is such an important factor. Last season it didn't even matter if you were in a playoff spot when the season shut down.

Meh.

There is going to be a handful of dummies like this guy (although he doesn't even have a vote this year). The vast majority are going to vote McDavid. It wont even be close.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Please don't kill me for interloping on your boards. I just want to congratulate you all for having such a dynamic, once in a lifetime type player on your team. What he does in a normal year is incredible, what he did this year is absolutely historic and is something we'll be telling our grandkids about. That is all and hopefully our big gun can go head to head against your big gun in round 2.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Interesting to note that last year Rossi voted for Panarin as the Hart winner (and didn't have Draisaitl on his ballot at all). So this year playing on a division winner is such an important factor. Last season it didn't even matter if you were in a playoff spot when the season shut down.

Meh.

There is going to be a handful of dummies like this guy (although he doesn't even have a vote this year). The vast majority are going to vote McDavid. It wont even be close.

Was his voting privilege taken away, or how does that work that he's not voting this year?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Meh.

Huh, Daver has more "credentials" than I thought.

Reactions: frag2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There will be guys like Rossi who will want everyone's attention and suck up to some big market at the same time.

McDavid will win the Hart. It won't be unanimous but it's not a requirement that the journalists be objective.

I actually believe there might be some logic to it in that they are thinking "well, McDavid's going to win it, as he should, but it shouldn't be unanimous because Matthews was also really good, so I'll vote Matthews". But imagine if too many thought that way lol. It won't happen though

Reactions: iCanada

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
There will be guys like Rossi who will want everyone's attention and suck up to some big market at the same time.

McDavid will win the Hart. It won't be unanimous but it's not a requirement that the journalists be objective.

I actually believe there might be some logic to it in that they are thinking "well, McDavid's going to win it, as he should, but it shouldn't be unanimous because Matthews was also really good, so I'll vote Matthews". But imagine if too many thought that way lol. It won't happen though
In the late 60’s Robert Downey (Jr’s father) directed a movie called “Putney Swope” where this exact scenario plays out. The CEO of a Madison Ave advertising agency dies and all the stodgy white board members vote for the token black board member thinking that he would never win. He wins and turns the agency into the “Truth and Soul” advertising agency. A great 60’s satire.
As an aside, anyone who liked the 90’s band “Fishbone”, should watch it.

Reactions: Mr Positive

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I wonder if Connor can break the trend and continue to up his point totals beyond 24-25 yrs old. Most great players have their best point production seasons in their early 20s and drop off around 24-5 onwards. I think there was an article and stat tracking that proved this too.

When NHLers get old, they get old fast - Sportsnet.ca.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Media shouldn’t be voting for any major award. Most of them are hacks that only watch their home team and want to be seen as the smartest in the room. Let the GMs and players vote for all the major awards.

Just to give the media something to vote on create a Media’s Choice award where the media picks their favorite player.

Reactions: TB12 and Dieseloil

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Pittsburgh hockey writer Rob Rossi of The Athletic
McDavid will win Hart. He’s the best player. Hart isn’t for best player. Or top scorer. If you don’t agree that best player and/or top scorer shouldn’t win Hart every season, change the criteria… All games were in division. Every division has bad teams. Some are top heavy. Others are deeper. But with four divisions and all games within each division, finishing first matters more than most seasons… Those that follow know I make this case about Hart Trophy every season. This time it just happens to be my opinion that Crosby was most valuable to a division-wining team. Doesn’t mean I’m anti-McDavid. But I would, were I to vote, probably have Matthews over him from North.

Absolutely
mindboggling. How this guy can vote?? Lost all credibility.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid will win Hart. He’s the best player. Hart isn’t for best player. Or top scorer. If you don’t agree that best player and/or top scorer shouldn’t win Hart every season, change the criteria… All games were in division. Every division has bad teams. Some are top heavy. Others are deeper. But with four divisions and all games within each division, finishing first matters more than most seasons… Those that follow know I make this case about Hart Trophy every season. This time it just happens to be my opinion that Crosby was most valuable to a division-wining team. Doesn’t mean I’m anti-McDavid. But I would, were I to vote, probably have Matthews over him from North.

Absolutely
The guy who factors in on 35% of his teams goals is definitely more important than the one factoring in on 58% of them.

Simple math from someone from Pittsburgh.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Absolutely
I keep thinking it's a take so bad you might lose voting rights in your fantasy league for trades, let alone get to vote for NHL awards. The PHWA needs to sort itself out.

Reactions: frag2 and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->