Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
Last year Holtby was a .907 in the regular season (54 games).
The year before, Matt Murray was a .907 in the regular season (49 games).
Quick won it after a .915 season in 2014.
Niemi put up a .912 in Chicago in 2009-10 and won the Cup.

So there's 4 in the last 10 years... ;)
none of those guys are system goalies.... they all play a somewhat erratic style.... but when they are on top of their games they are stellar. Ive seen stretches in the playoffs where Quick has completely dominated and made incredible saves and carry the kings to series victories.
Helle is an average system goalie. Its going to be difficult to win a Stanley Cup with that type of goalie. This isnt the old days in the 90s and 2000s where teams played lock down defence with the trap like the devils did. Scoring is way up, parity around the league is very high...... you need a goalie that can have stretches of complete dominance. Helle aint that guy.
I would take any one of those goalies over Helle... they simply give the Jets a better shot at winning the cup because they have a higher ceiling.
Brossoit, who played half the number of games Helle did this year stole more games and put up better numbers.

I know its only 3 games but so far he has a .897 save %. No one should be defending his play.

Last edited:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
none of those guys are system goalies.... they all play a somewhat erratic style.... but when they are on top of their games they are stellar. Ive seen stretches in the playoffs where Quick has completely dominated and made incredible saves and carry the kings to series victories.
Helle is an average system goalie. Its going to be difficult to win a Stanley Cup with that type of goalie. This isnt the old days in the 90s and 2000s where teams played lock down defence with the trap like the devils did. Scoring is way up, parity around the league is very high...... you need a goalie that can have stretches of complete dominance. Helle aint that guy.
I would take any one of those goalies over Helle... they simply give the Jets a better shot at winning the cup because they have a higher ceiling.
Brossoit, who played half the number of games Helle did this year stole more games and put up better numbers.

I know its only 3 games but so far he has a .897 save %. No one should be defending his play.

I think it's to early to say on Helle, but I will say that I felt at ease watching the Jet's play last year with him in goal. I cannot say the same thing about him this year, as I get the same old feeling of watching him in 2017.(not good) He has some every shaky games, and let's in some real soft goals, and sometimes he plays pretty good. It's puzzling, but it boils down to lack of focus.

As for Brossoit --sometimes he looks like a world beater, and nothing can get by him --especially in the first 10 games or so, that he played this year. Over the next 10 games his play cooled down, and pucks were getting by him. We'll have to see him tested over a longer period.

I did like what I saw from Brossoit this year though, and thought Maurice should have run with him during his hot streak for a lot more games, so we could see what we had in him ??

Let's not forget that when Seattle enters the league the Jet's can only protect one Goaltender, and I think Seattle would pick up Brossoit.

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.

Oh for f***s sake, Helle was over .920 last playoffs, what do you want from him?

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011

I think it's to early to say on Helle, but I will say that I felt at ease watching the Jet's play last year with him in goal. I cannot say the same thing about him this year, as I get the same old feeling of watching him in 2017.(not good) He has some every shaky games, and let's in some real soft goals, and sometimes he plays pretty good. It's puzzling, but it boils down to lack of focus.

As for Brossoit --sometimes he looks like a world beater, and nothing can get by him --especially in the first 10 games or so, that he played this year. Over the next 10 games his play cooled down, and pucks were getting by him. We'll have to see him tested over a longer period.

I did like what I saw from Brossoit this year though, and thought Maurice should have run with him during his hot streak for a lot more games, so we could see what we had in him ??

Let's not forget that when Seattle enters the league the Jet's can only protect one Goaltender, and I think Seattle would pick up Brossoit.
Brossoit is a free agent I believe... Jets wont have the cap space to sign him. It will be a huge "what if" moment because this franchise was too stubborn not to give him a real shot. For some reason it was more important that Helle plays the most games of any goalie in the league the past 2 seasons even though he never deserved that honor based on his play this year. Pure politics.

Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Brossoit is a free agent I believe... Jets wont have the cap space to sign him. It will be a huge "what if" moment because this franchise was too stubborn not to give him a real shot. For some reason it was more important that Helle plays the most games of any goalie in the league the past 2 seasons even though he never deserved that honor based on his play this year. Pure politics.

He is an RFA, all the Jets need to do to retain his services is submit a qualifying offer.

Reactions: Jedub and GNP

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Oh for ****s sake, Helle was over .920 last playoffs, what do you want from him?

Me, I want him to be better than the other goalie every single game, regardless of numbers. Fleury was better than Helly last playoffs. Is it fair to want this? No, but if the other guy is playing 0.940 then your guy had better be playing 0.941.

Reactions: Board Bard

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Me, I want him to be better than the other goalie every single game, regardless of numbers. Fleury was better than Helly last playoffs. Is it fair to want this? No, but if the other guy is playing 0.940 then your guy had better be playing 0.941.
lol those are asinine expectations, but I suppose it is fair to 'want' that. A better question may have been what more can you expect from him?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
He is an RFA, all the Jets need to do to retain his services is submit a qualifying offer.

I'm sure your right on him being a RFA --and the Jets will surely resign him. I sure hope they do, as he could be a great Goaltender. We don't know how he'll fare over the long term, but I think he's solid. Time will tell with Brossoit.

objectiveposter

Jan 29, 2011
lol those are asinine expectations, but I suppose it is fair to 'want' that. A better question may have been what more can you expect from him?
seriously? you are satisfied with Helles play this year? Jets should be up 2-1 in the series. Helle cost the team game 2.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
seriously? you are satisfied with Helles play this year? Jets should be up 2-1 in the series. Helle cost the team game 2.
If you could read you would see I was talking about last playoffs when Helle posted over .920.

Helle's play over the season was satisfactory, just above league average. Not great but not terrible.

Helle's play over the last 2 games has not been good enough. He was great in game 1 though.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm not saying he's been great or that he hasn't let in some soft goals. He was the difference in Game 2. I'm just saying that people writing him off as a bad goalie are wrong.

Everything else in your post suggests you're being misled by small sample variance and narrative hogwash.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
While Brossoit played well in most games, he could be having his own mini Hutchinson renaissance, which we all saw crumble when he was given the reigns from Pavelec.

I haven't given up on Helle yet. To be honest, his adherence to The Secret is more troubling than his high blocker :sarcasm:

Reactions: Gm0ney and Jedub

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Lol Bishop coming from a .934 regular season and first two games in the series .938 and .952... Pretty much no matter what he does tonight, I don't think it's gonna be a comparison that brings Hellebuyck in a good light.
Helly played awesome tonight. It's a sad state of affairs when uneducated posters want Bucky gone.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I am going to say that the ripping that Hellebuyck has been getting right now from both the fans and the media has been 100% earned.

We all want him to do well which gives us a better chance to win but his play has been disappointing in both the regular season and the playoffs.

He is set for life with his contract so he should be more than happy.
Hellebuyck needs to be better for us to compete for a Cup period.

Sorry I forgot, he should be the reincarnation of Dominic Hasek.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Go away please. Helly played awesome tonight. It's a sad state of affairs when uneducated posters want Bucky gone.

What's your problem? Helly wasn't good in the first 3 games of the series and it was not a very good comparison from that poster to bring up Bishop, who was awesome for 2/3 games. When did I ever say I want Hellebuyck gone? He's still very young for a goalie and when he's on, he's great, but he hasn't been on a lot this year. If he can bring this kind of game (game 4) more regularly, he'll be gold for the Jets.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
What's your problem? Helly wasn't good in the first 3 games of the series and it was not a very good comparison from that poster to bring up Bishop, who was awesome for 2/3 games. When did I ever say I want Hellebuyck gone? He's still very young for a goalie and when he's on, he's great, but he hasn't been on a lot this year. If he can bring this kind of game (game 4) more regularly, he'll be gold for the Jets.
Helle stones the Blues, and we are headed back to the Peg city tied at 2-2.

I'm drunk sorry

Reactions: GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
While Brossoit played well in most games, he could be having his own mini Hutchinson renaissance, which we all saw crumble when he was given the reigns from Pavelec.

I haven't given up on Helle yet. To be honest, his adherence to The Secret is more troubling than his high blocker :sarcasm:
Whatever gets it done!

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Now that I have sobered up a bit by drinking water, and grabbing a quick bite to eat, I love you all. I hope I did not go on a drunken tirade against anyone. I was so happy the Jets won that I polished off a fair bit of Vodka and Orange. Hellebuck, you are the greatest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad