LeBrun: Connor Hellebuyck will not sign a new contract with Winnipeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If that's the case I'd rather him replace Holtz since I'd be looking to move Yegor somewhere this summer and would rather keep Holtz. Value wise Vanecek, Sharangovich, Casey/Holtz to me seems like a steal on the Devils end even if it's just a rental. I guess if the Jets are looking more to continue competing rather than look for futures it could make some sense but it feels light to me.

They're about to lose their top 2 C's + Wheeler + and their star net minder. They're going in a full blown rebuild. Honestly Hellebuyck wouldn't even be my number 1 from that roster, it'd be Kyle Connor.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
They're about to lose their top 2 C's + Wheeler + and their star net minder. They're going in a full blown rebuild. Honestly Hellebuyck wouldn't even be my number 1 from that roster, it'd be Kyle Connor.
The organization stated they are not rebuilding. They are trying to make the playoffs next season. Not saying they should be, but this is the plan.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I think from the Jets perspective (not saying from the Devils), they might value Casey as well to add some RHD depth. Whether he replaces a piece like Sharangovich, or the Jets add something else to balance. Just spitballing from a potential fit perspective.
Vitek, sharangovich, Casey for hellebuyck would be a good deal for NJ even if it’s for a 1 year rental.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If that's the case I'd rather him replace Holtz since I'd be looking to move Yegor somewhere this summer and would rather keep Holtz. Value wise Vanecek, Sharangovich, Casey/Holtz to me seems like a steal on the Devils end even if it's just a rental. I guess if the Jets are looking more to continue competing rather than look for futures it could make some sense but it feels light to me.
It's sounding like he wouldn't be a rental, and IMO Casey/Holtz + Sharang + VV is closer to a rental price to me as well.

Vitek, sharangovich, Casey for hellebuyck would be a good deal for NJ even if it’s for a 1 year rental.
Agree, I think it's light even for a rental, and it sounds like Hellebucyk could come with an extension. But we'll have to see what the market ends up being.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's sounding like he wouldn't be a rental, and IMO Casey/Holtz + Sharang + VV is closer to a rental price to me as well.

Agree, I think it's light even for a rental, and it sounds like Hellebucyk could come with an extension. But we'll have to see what the market ends up being.

I have hard time believing we'd be paying the price it'd be to sign him.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets will be worse next season, if those are the trades:

Connor - Scheifele - Ehlers
Neiderreiter - Vilardi - Perfetti
Barron - Lowry - Sharangovich
Holtz/Harkins - Gustafsson - Appleton

Morrissey - Demelo
Dillon - Pionk
Samberg - Schmidt

Vanecek
Back-up

We'll probably miss the playoffs and receive a 10-15th overall pick. Hellebuyck accounted for a 31 goal differential according to money puck. How many wins is that? An extra 10-15?

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Even so. Then we have Schmid with just one more year on his ELC, and if this past season is any indication, he would certainly be due for a hefty raise as well.

Unless Fitz constantly just wanted to cycle through goalies on ELCs as #2 or 1b, devoting a material amount of cap space to goaltending would be unavoidable.
With a workhorse like Helle, having an average back up that can play 20-25 games is all you need. Those are available every year for low cost.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
With a workhorse like Helle, having an average back up that can play 20-25 games is all you need. Those are available every year for low cost.

Yeah but the Devils wouldn’t be acquiring a 24 year old Hellebyuck. Not sure if 60 games a year is sustainable long term.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
In my opinion, NJD should aggressively go after Helle. He's legit, and he improves their team more than any other conceivable add would.

Would turn them into a top3 team imo.
We were a top 3 team without him . But I agree that Helle would make the Devils a legit Cup threat .

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah but the Devils wouldn’t be acquiring a 24 year old Hellebyuck. Not sure if 60 games a year is sustainable long term.

Didn't stop guys like Luongo from doing that 10 years ago.

From ages 31-36, Luongo played in 55, 20 (lockout shortened season), 56, 61 and 62 games. Guys like Luongo are good examples to look at when predicting how Hellebuyck would age, I still think he should be good while playing a lot of games up until he's 36 or 37.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

From ages 31-36, Luongo played in 55, 20 (lockout shortened season), 56, 61 and 62 games. Guys like Luongo are good examples to look at when predicting how Hellebuyck would age, I still think he should be good while playing a lot of games up until he's 36 or 37.

Add to that he just doesn't get injured. Even winding him down to closer to 52-55 he'd still be a higher end starter as far as games go, keep him more rested for the playoffs.

Look at that insanity. Just Illness.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Personally speaking, if I were Helleybuyck, I would be adjusting my salary expectations if it meant landing in New Jersey. I’m someone that just wants to win and location and lifestyle are secondary to me. I’d hedge my bets that the Devils are strong contenders for the next decade.

He has stated over and over how Winning is the most important thing to him at this point in his career. If we’re to take him at his word then he should be telling his agent to just get a fair deal done. Makes more sense than to try and capture lightning in a bottle with an aging Penguins roster.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
Personally speaking, if I were Helleybuyck, I would be adjusting my salary expectations if it meant landing in New Jersey. I’m someone that just wants to win and location and lifestyle are secondary to me. I’d hedge my bets that the Devils are strong contenders for the next decade.

He has stated over and over how Winning is the most important thing to him at this point in his career. If we’re to take him at his word then he should be telling his agent to just get a fair deal done. Makes more sense than to try and capture lightning in a bottle with an aging Penguins roster.
If that's the case, then he's got to be willing to work with NJ on term. I don't think Fitzgerald is interested in an 8 year deal at 31.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If that's the case, then he's got to be willing to work with NJ on term. I don't think Fitzgerald is interested in an 8 year deal at 31.

I feel like term is substantially less important than AAV in this case. The cap is going to be like $120 million in 8 years unless there's another pandemic.

I feel like the part that should matter the most for the Devils is whether his AAV can be low enough prior to the big cap rise for them to be able to fill the team out along with their core. So basically what his AAV would be in 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I feel like term is substantially less important than AAV in this case. The cap is going to be like $120 million in 8 years unless there's another pandemic.

I feel like the part that should matter the most for the Devils is whether his AAV can be low enough prior to the big cap rise for them to be able to fill the team out along with their core. So basically what his AAV would be in 2024-2025 and 2025-2026.

They're both issues but the term is the bigger issue. I wouldn't want to do either but I'd be much more willing to pay him 9+ for say 4-5 years than I'd be to pay him like 7.5-8 over 8 years. With the ages of his core they should still be competitive in the later part of that contract and if he falls off then that's a big hole being burned in your pocket that really hinders things. Signing him for the shorter term for a bit more might mean you have to cut corners a bit but it wouldn't be that much more on the AAV and you don't have to worry about the late 30 years. 24-25 we'll still have both Luke and Nemec on their ELCs. 25-26 Luke will be on his big boy deal but we'll still have Nemec on his ELC.

Reactions: Mgd31

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

Regardless, I think Fitz would have pause paying him significant dollars till he's 39. I mean Bobrovsky is being paid till he's 37 and that's already too long. I think the cap hit would have to be 7.5 to 8 on a max deal to stomach it. Even if the AAV is around 9 or over 9 on a shorter deal, I think the Devils can make the money work to sign their next phase of younger guys.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Penguins roster is in a substantially better spot going forward than the Jets roster. Their core is miles better than the Jets core and they're sitting with a ton of cap space going forward.

Beyond that, not many teams can make Hellebuyck's contract demands work for the long run. I could definitely see Hellebuyck preferring to go to New Jersey or Buffalo since they're up and coming, but the fact that they're up and coming may mean that they can't afford him at his salary demands.

There are very very few teams that are looking worse for future than the Pens

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are very very few teams that are looking worse for future than the Pens

Yes because fans pretend that every one of their prospects will hit and definitely won't bust.

Regardless, I think Fitz would have pause paying him significant dollars till he's 39. I mean Bobrovsky is being paid till he's 37 and that's already too long. I think the cap hit would have to be 7.5 to 8 on a max deal to stomach it. Even if the AAV is around 9 or over 9 on a shorter deal, I think the Devils can make the money work to sign their next phase of younger guys.

I don't think Hellebuyck is realistically going to get $9.5 million a year because a huge majority of teams can't afford that. I think he's likely going to be falling in the $8 million to $8.5 million range to begin with.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

A Hall of Famer?

There’s also plenty of examples of goalies that drop off a cliff in their early 30s.

Could Hellebuyck be still be an elite workhorse for 5+ years? Sure. But from a Devils perspective, the risk doesn’t outweigh the benefit.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A Hall of Famer?

There’s also plenty of examples of goalies that drop off a cliff in their early 30s.

Could Hellebuyck be still be an elite workhorse for 5+ years? Sure. But from a Devils perspective, the risk doesn’t outweigh the benefit.

Yeah, which is the actual comparison to make for a guy like Hellebuyck.

Why do we care about how a bunch of shitty goalies who aren't as good as Hellebuyck age? The actual peers to Hellebuyck are good well into their late 30s.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah, which is the actual comparison to make for a guy like Hellebuyck.

Why do we care about how a bunch of shitty goalies who aren't as good as Hellebuyck age? The actual peers to Hellebuyck are good well into their late 30s.

You do realize there’s a lot more to consider than just “this guy good,” right??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad