LeBrun: Connor Hellebuyck will not sign a new contract with Winnipeg

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You do realize there’s a lot more to consider than just “this guy good,” right??

Yes, looking at Hellebuyck shows a guy who has been consistently good to elite and healthy for his entire career. Those guys regularly play into their late 30s.

Hellebuyck's peers are guys like Fleury, Luongo and Lundqvist. All of those guys were starting caliber through their age 36 season. There is zero reason to think that Hellebuyck won't age the same way.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
id say with Helle's style of play not being super reliant on athleticism/flexibility, he may age a bit better than other goalies. a lot of his saves don't end up on the highlight reel b/c he's so positionally sound and not usually making acrobatic saves. i think there's less susceptibility to injury given this style (not a goalie expert though).

he does have high minutes and shots faced so there will eventually be a fall off, but it may not be an instantaneous fall-off or b/c of his style of play or accumulation of injuries.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yes because fans pretend that every one of their prospects will hit and definitely won't bust.

I don't think Hellebuyck is realistically going to get $9.5 million a year because a huge majority of teams can't afford that. I think he's likely going to be falling in the $8 million to $8.5 million range to begin with.

You really think Pens have a good looking future?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A Hall of Famer?

There’s also plenty of examples of goalies that drop off a cliff in their early 30s.

Could Hellebuyck be still be an elite workhorse for 5+ years? Sure. But from a Devils perspective, the risk doesn’t outweigh the benefit.
I'd trust Helly to be very good well into his mid 30's. He plays goal like he isn't even trying he is so positionally perfect all the time. He rarely ever has to make an acrobatic save because he is where he is supposed to be all of the time. His fade off will be very gradual and it won't be for several years. If the Jets were a young contending team, most Jets fans wouldn't blink an eye at paying him what he wants. Whatever team can swing it for him they won't be disappointed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You really think Pens have a good looking future?

No, I think they just have opportunities for a good future due to a good cap structure and what seems like a strong management/coaching staff duo.

Their prospect pool is heinously bad but prospect pools aren't the only thing that will determine what teams have success in 5 years.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yes, looking at Hellebuyck shows a guy who has been consistently good to elite and healthy for his entire career. Those guys regularly play into their late 30s.

Hellebuyck's peers are guys like Fleury, Luongo and Lundqvist. All of those guys were starting caliber through their age 36 season. There is zero reason to think that Hellebuyck won't age the same way.

Cool. Still not a move the Devils should make.

SaltyElkHunter

I …. am…. The LA Kings!
Apr 24, 2019
Utah
I hope he goes to LA and signs for 3 years under the premise of another big contract. Not a bad deal for either party based on the cap going up in 2 years significantly.

Bigger problem is players don’t seem to want to sign there. Makes me think they may want some guys with germ coming back.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
9.5 seems to be the initial ask so it may be able to come down depending on the fit, also the cap should be taking a jump in 24-25 when he is due a raise and could take another jump the following year so paying him 9+ could look a lot different then it would if the cap stayed the same

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No, I think they just have opportunities for a good future due to a good cap structure and what seems like a strong management/coaching staff duo.

Their prospect pool is heinously bad but prospect pools aren't the only thing that will determine what teams have success in 5 years.

You have zero young franchise talent.

You are not going to land them by just cap space.
You have zero trade assets/draft picks that would realistically have you in the talks for landing that caliber players.

& what strong management?
Dubas already had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Kadri, Andersen in place when he got the job and got zero results.
But he’s great because?

Just face it Pens are going to be in the dark for a long time soon enough

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
He wants 9.5 million?

Too much for a goaltender. Then again, i am a big believer that teams should not give goalies big contracts.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Cool….another player who doesn’t want to play in Canada.

Would love to know how many players in the league refuse to play in Canada.

There is no doubt it’s much harder for a Canadian GM to acquire talent when a good chunk of star players refuse to play in the country. The drought continues….
Sadly I'm sure that's true. I only wish I was young enough and good enough to play in Canada (or Detroit). I plan to retire in mouse factory, f*@# Florida.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
This is a joke right? At the time of signing, Sorokin had played 22 NHL games and Shesterkin had 47. This is like saying Hughes is on a 8x8, so that should be plenty to sign any 100 point player in the league.

The comparable for Hellebuyck, at time of signing contract, assuming he has a decent year next year is Bobrovsky. Take into account cap going up, and he should get 10 comfortably.
That seems like too much, but I thought bobrovsky contact would have been death by now, but I'm shocked to see on capfriendly that he only has 3 years left and just had his best playoffs. so....

Reactions: Flair Hay

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
The Jets could do a huge blockbuster trade featuring Hellebuyck, Dubois and Scheifele to Detroit for a big return.
No!! We will have give up way too much. We are not ready for that kind of trade. I think we have to at least make the playoffs before we can pretend to be contenders.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I know there's rumors that the Devils are interested in him, but the max number is really 7 mil and if it's true he's looking for 9-9.5 it's not a fit.

Vanecek makes 3.4 million and would either be involved in the trade or simply comes off the books after two more seasons. That plus 2,575,000 comes off the books after next season with the Schneider and Kuokkanen buyouts and the Kovalchuk cap penalty (LOL). That frees up about 6 mil and makes it easy to fit Helly at 7 without making things too tight cap-wise.

The core is about to be locked up with Meier's impending contract... but Mercer needs a contract after this season and Luke Hughes needs one after next season.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Lots of doom and gloom for the Jets.

Most teams are bad or mushy. Very few are contenders. The Jets are facing the turnover of a few core players simultaneously while they hold high trade value, and before they end up with very high salaries as they age on a team that needs a refresh.

The positive aspects for the Jets are that they already have a decent prospect pipeline with Perfetti, Samberg, McGroarty, Lambert, Lucius, Salomonsson, Chibrikov. So they aren't building on nothing. Beyond that, they have a solid group of other players in Morrissey, Connor, Ehlers, Lowry that can bridge to another core, and also have very high trade value within the next year or two if the Jets decide to go for a full rebuild.

I'd expect the Jets to try to get a mix of young players on an upward trajectory, along with a passel of prospects to try to make a rapid transition to youth.
It would be sad because I kind of like the jets, but if they don't want to resign, you can't pretend like this is finally the year it all fall into place. I love the loyalty my wings have shown their players but it definitely has extended the rebuild.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Helly needs to pick…. Big money or a chance to win a cup…. No top team will pay him 9 mil IMHO…. So he can get 5X7.5 to go to a cup contender …. Or get get 6X8.5 to go to a struggling team looking to do anything to improve.
I’m guessing Helly won’t be hiring you as his agent. At this point any top player will want both and if he doesn’t get it he isn’t obliged to sign and he can just play out the season wherever he gets traded and become a UFA next summer. At that point some GM with his job on the line will offer Helly what he wants. Then he can make a decision on his own where he wants to play.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I’m guessing Helly won’t be hiring you as his agent. At this point any top player will want both and if he doesn’t get it he isn’t obliged to sign and he can just play out the season wherever he gets traded and become a UFA next summer. At that point some GM with his job on the line will offer Helly what he wants. Then he can make a decision on his own where he wants to play.
In reality Chevy plays all the cards. Giving him the chance to discuss contract extension is a nice gesture but with no NMC Chevy could just trade him as soon as he gets a good enough offer. And if Chevy wants something from the 2023 draft the trade very well might come before the extension.

Reactions: GhostfaceWu

Nemec

Apr 5, 2009
I don't watch the guy enough but 3 out his 7 full seasons, his GAA has been close to 3. That's elite?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00