Pre-Game Talk: Decisions decision decisions

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It wasn't? Against teams that have actual offense he's a pumpkin.
Kulak-Vinny have been ok. Only on for one 5v5 goal against so far playing with the bums in the bottom six.

Nurse and Ceci are the major problem, always have been 1 5v5 goal for, 5 against, viciously outshot and outchanced. They're not good at anything. They aren't even physical.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I used to like Lowetide but his rant how Skinners playoff sample size isn’t big enough especially cause it’s not 20 games in one year.
Like dude, when you suck that bad you can’t get to 20 games in one playoff, so you even know how the playoffs work??
Yeah Lowetides usually good, but sometimes he goes full senile and sounds like an absolute idiot.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Rishaug on his podcast is convinced Vinny’s injured, though Strudwick didn’t say anything in agreement.

VD has been a ghost. 0 hits 0 physicality this playoffs. He has the Lucic mean stare down pat but he’s got eggs in his shoulder pads and his gloves are welded on.

But at least he’s not making 9.25 like our supposed leader on D whose been as quiet as a church mouse.

But at least he’s not Cody Now You Ceci Now You Don’t who for the reportedly strongest guy on the team is an absolute muffin on the ice.

Foegele and McCloed are the invisible men. Those 2 are everything that’s wrong with the Oilers bottom 9 in a nutshell.

Ryan Nohit Hopkins is yet again disappearing in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

Perry other than last night has been a non event. Kane has not imposed his will whatsoever but he is a guy who thrives on ice time which he’s not getting. Zadorov is completely running his show.

Holloway can’t get traction as he doesn’t have a set line. Carrick our one true physical forward isn’t being played. Henrique has been hurt. Gagner has heart but hasn’t been given a chance.

At least Derek Ryan has showed a pulse but his skills are waning. His spear to the nether regions on Hoglander has been the only show of heart and character outside the top line thus far.

Skinner has been dogshit this series and is now statistically the worst goaltender in the cap era come playoff time.

KK playing the top line 30 minutes a game ensures they will be out of gas by the next series - if we get past the Canucks. 3 coaches prior have essentially stacked these guys together come playoff time but KK has doubled even that down going 30! minutes a night for them which is completely unsustainable.

That all said - I’m not worried. We still beat the Canucks in 6. I bet my underwear on it and I’ve been red hot lately.

07F9D1A8-A43B-4B93-A6B3-5C5BBA9F62C9.gif

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lowetide is usually a reasonable and calm voice.

But the love affair with Skinner goes too far for me. These hips don’t lie and neither do the stats

View attachment 870003

Lowetide is obsessed (to a massive fault) with any player that's got a (long) shot at the NHL that the Oilers have drafted

It's ridiculous. I stopped taking him seriously when he was going on about how great Caleb Jones was that first (and only?) season he played here. Like he was a top pairing player in waiting or something

Skinner is a 1B at absolute best, full stop. If he is the starter next season, the new GM will have failed. Priority number 1 is making sure he's only getting 40% of the starts and is not the go to for the playoffs.

I will say, hopefully these guys show up at the start of the season so they can actually experiment with youth and see what they have. Would be nice to see Rodrigue, Petrov, Bourgault get some real live NHL games to see if they might ever end up as players.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
VD has been a ghost. 0 hits 0 physicality this playoffs. He has the Lucic mean stare down pat but he’s got eggs in his shoulder pads and his gloves are welded on.

But at least he’s not making 9.25 like our supposed leader on D whose been as quiet as a church mouse.

But at least he’s not Cody Now You Ceci Now You Don’t who for the reportedly strongest guy on the team is an absolute muffin on the ice.

Foegele and McCloed are the invisible men. Those 2 are everything that’s wrong with the Oilers bottom 9 in a nutshell.

Ryan Nohit Hopkins is yet again disappearing in the playoffs when the going gets tough.

Perry other than last night has been a non event. Kane has not imposed his will whatsoever but he is a guy who thrives on ice time which he’s not getting. Zadorov is completely running his show.

Holloway can’t get traction as he doesn’t have a set line. Carrick our one true physical forward isn’t being played. Henrique has been hurt. Gagner has heart but hasn’t been given a chance.

At least Derek Ryan has showed a pulse but his skills are waning. His spear to the nether regions on Hoglander has been the only show of heart and character outside the top line thus far.

Skinner has been dogshit this series and is now statistically the worst goaltender in the cap era come playoff time.

KK playing the top line 30 minutes a game ensures they will be out of gas by the next series - if we get past the Canucks. 3 coaches prior have essentially stacked these guys together come playoff time but KK has doubled even that down going 30! minutes a night for them which is completely unsustainable.

That all said - I’m not worried. We still beat the Canucks in 6. I bet my underwear on it and I’ve been red hot lately.

View attachment 870013
good breakdown.

Honestly so far the only guys that have shown up for this series is the five man unit of Hyman, McDavid, Draisaitl, Ekholm, and Bouchard. Nobody else can piss a drop in any way. Really disappointing considering this was supposed to be an all in lineup.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Reviewed all the goals vs Skinner.

1st) Brock Boeser from the point on PP. Ryan and VD both go after Quinn Hughes in the corner who makes the pass to BB. Error on Ryan and VD for breaking the PK box. Skinner did not look obstructed on the play. A slight tip. I still think it's saveable.

2nd) McDavid and Ekholm go for the same player in JT Miller who passes to Boeser who's all alone near the slot. Bouchard next to Skinner. I can't blame Skinner on the 2nd goal.

3rd) Foegle gives away the puck near the front of the net leading to a pass to Boeser who goes to the front of the net and scores. Nurse and Ceci both go to the passer and leave Skinner alone. Probably didn't expect the turnover. Not an easy save to make.

4th) PP Goal by Lindholm( pass from Miller) who goes through VD and Ekholm to right in front of Skinner and scores. Not an easy save.

I think the first one is saveable and a playoff goalie should be able to save at least one of some of the difficult ones.
Some costly breakdowns and Skinner's inability to make that extra save is what did them in. Not all on Skinner but best to move on to Pickard.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

1st) Brock Boeser from the point on PP. Ryan and VD both go after Quinn Hughes in the corner who makes the pass to BB. Error on Ryan and VD for breaking the PK box. Skinner did not look obstructed on the play. A slight tip. I still think it's saveable.

2nd) McDavid and Ekholm go for the same player in JT Miller who passes to Boeser who's all alone near the slot. Bouchard next to Skinner. I can't blame Skinner on the 2nd goal.

3rd) Foegle gives away the puck near the front of the net leading to a pass to Boeser who goes to the front of the net and scores. Nurse and Ceci both go to the passer and leave Skinner alone. Probably didn't expect the turnover. Not an easy save to make.

4th) PP Goal by Lindholm( pass from Miller) who goes through VD and Ekholm to right in front of Skinner and scores. Not an easy save.

I think the first one is saveable and a playoff goalie should be able to save at least one of some of the difficult ones.
Some costly breakdowns and Skinner's inability to make that extra save is what did them in. Not all on Skinner but best to move on to Pickard.
Not all on Skinner to be sure, but we again find ourselves in the position that a dangerous chance against is all but assured to be a goal against right now. You can't win that way. You can't play well in front of that knowing that if you're even a bit out of position it's going in your net. The players have to have confidence that what should be stopped will be stopped and a few that shouldn't be will be stopped as well.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If you care to look back I've said we would need Campbell to save us this postseason easily twenty times. Going back to before the season even started.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I used to like Lowetide but his rant how Skinners playoff sample size isn’t big enough especially cause it’s not 20 games in one year.
Like dude, when you suck that bad you can’t get to 20 games in one playoff, so you even know how the playoffs work??
What's the correct sample size then, 0 cups for Mcdavid and Drai? How can even the biggest Skinner defenders comprehend defending the guy at this point. Especially after that lopsided shot clock last night and getting owned by a dude that's played 9 NHL games before this playoffs.

Skinner would be an excellent backup in the NHL, 30-35 reg season games and no playoffs. That's his ceiling imo and he could likely do that for another 8-10 years.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

The goalie shakeup could also have the boys playing differently. We failed out last season cause they refused to move past him.

Boner Pills

Jan 25, 2013
Edmonton
They stopped playing physical against LA, and haven't been very physical against Van.

I want to see Hughes and Peterboys face smashed into the glass at least 4 times each next game if this hit to the head shit is legal all of a sudden. Go after their stars too.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What's the correct sample size then, 0 cups for Mcdavid and Drai? How can even the biggest Skinner defenders comprehend defending the guy at this point. Especially after that lopsided shot clock last night and getting owned by a dude that's played 9 NHL games before this playoffs.

Skinner would be an excellent backup in the NHL, 30-35 reg season games and no playoffs. That's his ceiling imo and he could likely do that for another 8-10 years.
I see Skinner as Jake Allen 2.0. Capable of long stretches of good play and could be the backup on a Cup winner but he just doesn't have the juice to get it done himself.

Of course, this isn't really on him. This is on Holland for not addressing the position after he swung and struck out on Campbell and decided Calvin Pickard was enough insurance.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Kane, Perry, Desharnais and Nurse can all be physical beasts but they are such pushovers I think Yamamoto would beat them in the corners.

I see Skinner as Jake Allen 2.0. Capable of long stretches of good play and could be the backup on a Cup winner but he just doesn't have the juice to get it done himself.

Of course, this isn't really on him. This is on Holland for not addressing the position after he swung and struck out on Campbell and decided Calvin Pickard was enough insurance.
It’s also on Holland for keeping the goalie coach thru all this failure.

Lowetide is obsessed (to a massive fault) with any player that's got a (long) shot at the NHL that the Oilers have drafted

It's ridiculous. I stopped taking him seriously when he was going on about how great Caleb Jones was that first (and only?) season he played here. Like he was a top pairing player in waiting or something

Skinner is a 1B at absolute best, full stop. If he is the starter next season, the new GM will have failed. Priority number 1 is making sure he's only getting 40% of the starts and is not the go to for the playoffs.

I will say, hopefully these guys show up at the start of the season so they can actually experiment with youth and see what they have. Would be nice to see Rodrigue, Petrov, Bourgault get some real live NHL games to see if they might ever end up as players.
Disagree on Bourgault. Petrov looks like he might be fomenting but Bourgault is awful.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
good breakdown.

Honestly so far the only guys that have shown up for this series is the five man unit of Hyman, McDavid, Draisaitl, Ekholm, and Bouchard. Nobody else can piss a drop in any way. Really disappointing considering this was supposed to be an all in lineup.
Same shit, different year. Too many passengers for this to be considered a serious threat. I don't even know what year we're in of "Hope McDavid and Draisatl put up a shitton of points while the rest of the lineup attempts to saw off". I thought we were done with this crap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad