LeBrun: Connor Hellebuyck will not sign a new contract with Winnipeg

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

If they keep Meier at 8.5, they will already have 54.5 million of cap space tied up on eight players for the next four seasons (of which 3-4 are wingers, no less). Adding Hellebuyck at something closer to 10 would probably make a lot of roster decisions very painful down the line - there will be all kinds of Mercers and Hugheses to sign during that timeline. A one-year rental could make sense here, although the trade has to benefit the Jets first and foremost.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If they keep Meier at 8.5, they will already have 54.5 million of cap space tied up on eight players for the next four seasons (of which 3-4 are wingers, no less). Adding Hellebuyck at something closer to 10 would probably make a lot of roster decisions very painful down the line - there will be all kinds of Mercers and Hugheses to sign during that timeline. A one-year rental could make sense here, although the trade has to benefit the Jets first and foremost.

I think the most we’d do on an extension is like 8 on a mid term deal. That’d make things tight but workable (I’m also assuming Palat’s dumped in like 2 years). He’d be taking such a massive discount compared to what someone else would give him though that it’s just not reasonable

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think the most we’d do on an extension is like 8 on a mid term deal. That’d make things tight but workable (I’m also assuming Palat’s dumped in like 2 years). He’d be taking such a massive discount compared to what someone else would give him though that it’s just not reasonable

From all reports and interviews, the cup is #1 for him. Trading for him as a rental and convincing him you're the spot for it could work and you go from there.

Can't imagine he wants to Luongo himself

Reactions: hn777 and Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
From all reports and interviews, the cup is #1 for him. Trading for him as a rental and convincing him you're the spot for it could work and you go from there.

Can't imagine he wants to Luongo himself

I mean he can say that but when push comes to shove and you’re looking at taking like 20-30 mil less I’m not sure his #1 priority would be the Cup. If it actually is and he’d sign for like 8 on mid term deal then great. I just don’t see it though

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Why not Helly and now IAFALLO to the sabers. Not sure what that would get you back but it should be a good return.

I think the fit is there for both those players in Buffalo

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I think Winnipeg needs a lightly used All Star goalie on a most excellent contract...

The Jets NEED Tristan Jarry

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Just bring him back home Stevie! Make winnipeg add kyle connor to it, why not. We need a double connor situation in detroit it feels.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would be smart to acquire him now just to see how he gels with your squad. He could be the next Bobrovsky.

He is elite though. He is worth it to get, but any deal should send a good goalie to Winnipeg because they are not rebuilding.

I don't think Winnipeg should hold onto him. This could be a distraction if he has one skate out the door.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I will say it again. They will use him all year then wish him luck and let him go next summer. Take that 6 million in cap space and get a starter next year. They are better than last year and the central worse and they made the playoffs last year. A motivated helle for a new contract is good for the jets.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
The scary part is all 3 were on the rumour block when it was mentioned that the Jets still want to compete. So no official word yet but all we have to go on says we want to remain competative. Management gonna sink this franchise into the ground.

Yeah he's gonna want at least $10m, probably at least 6-7 years.
He backed off the 10 mil supposedly . I’d say he should get around what Sorokin got in his new deal, maybe even slightly less because Helle is older .
Devils would be an excellent fit . I’m sure they have talked trade already but Chevy didn’t like the offers he got . However , I can see why Fitz does not want to pay too much as he is somewhat comfortable with VV and Schmid . And Schmid can potentially become a legit #1 but too early to tell . Do not sure if Devils want a 30 year old goalie that will want his retirement contract. If Helle settles for 6.5 ish ,for 6 years at the very most , then maybe a deal is there .
I don’t see any other teams that fit the criteria - Contender / US team / cap room
Buffalo possibly but they have UPL and Levi

Reactions: My3Sons

tkb81

Mar 15, 2009
I will say it again. They will use him all year then wish him luck and let him go next summer. Take that 6 million in cap space and get a starter next year. They are better than last year and the central worse and they made the playoffs last year. A motivated helle for a new contract is good for the jets.
Jets need to realize they have to rebuild ...

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
It's a decent fit really IMO. Just depends if NJ is willing to either pony up long term or gamble on a year long goalie rental.
I think the Devils are without a doubt looking at Helle / Swayman / Ullmark . Just a matter of if the asking price is doable. No point over-paying as they will just roll with VV / Schmid .
Only thing with Helle is I don’t think the Devils can offer him anything over 7 mil per and still keep the core intact ( Hughes brothers , Nico, Meier , Bratt , Mercer , Nemec) .
And I don’t think Fitz is too pumped giving up assets for a one year rental . Maybe Fitz dies the same with Helle as he did Meier - try to sell him on playing in NJ long term and hopefully take a discount to be a contender for years .

Reactions: Smitty426

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Jets need to realize they have to rebuild ...
1st in the west before shitting the bed in the second half of the season... entering camp with a MUCH deeper forward group. Ehlers, Connor, Morrisey, Lowry signed with term... there's no need to rebuild *yet*

Chevy will give this group a kick at the can then reassess

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
1st in the west before shitting the bed in the second half of the season... entering camp with a MUCH deeper forward group. Ehlers, Connor, Morrisey, Lowry signed with term... there's no need to rebuild *yet*

Chevy will give this group a kick at the can then reassess
Chevy is a very patient and almost too passive GM. I can totally see him sitting on Helle and Scheif as long as possible (TDL) and even past that if the Jets are in a playoff race . I do think the Jets can survive not gettig any return at all for both of those guys though. You’d have to think he might be forced to move them at some point ? It’s hard to know what Chevy will do .

Reactions: Adam da bomb

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Chevy is a very patient and almost too passive GM. I can totally see him sitting on Helle and Scheif as long as possible (TDL) and even past that if the Jets are in a playoff race . I do think the Jets can survive not gettig any return at all for both of those guys though. You’d have to think he might be forced to move them at some point ? It’s hard to know what Chevy will do .
He's systematic AF... I promise you that chevy has thought this through from every possible angle that he could imagine, including the idea of getting sub-par offers for shief and helle at the deadline and deciding to keep them

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3