Confirmed with Link: Connor Hellebuyck nominated for Vezina Trophy - Winner!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
If you haven’t been happy with Helle’s performance, then you will never be happy with any goaltender.

I am happy with it. But he has one good year then Average year To date. What happens if Chevy actually does try to win next year? And helly has his average year and we are still a bubble team. Will you be happy with his performance then ?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Let’s see if he can play like this two years in a row before people start eating crow
He has a very strong case for best goalie in the league over the past 3 years. 2nd in Vezina voting -> average year -> Vezina winner.

If people's expectation is that he should play at the level he did this year every year, the issue isn't Hellebuyck. If he plays like he did this year, he will become the first goalie to win two Vezina trophies in a row since the trophy started being handed out to the best goalie in the league. If that's the expectations you have, fine, but in that case I expect that you also think Hellebuyck should be the highest paid goalie in the league.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Let's play a game. Pick an NHL team. Any NHL team. Take away three of their starting defensemen in the off-season. Then at the last possible moment before the season begins, remove their one-of-a-kind star player unexpectedly, the one player who cannot possibly be replaced, because there's no one else quite like him in the league, for better or worse. Coincidentally, he also plays the same position of the three players you've lost.

Now start the season with this team. How many teams in this situation are going to make the playoffs?

For bonus marks, ponder how stupid it makes you look if you blame the lack of success on coaching.

Buff is a legit issue.
The other 3 everyone knew way ahead of time.
Pionk replaced Trouba just fine.
There were a number of factors including coaching that contributed to a lacklustre year.
Chevy has his work cut out for him this off season.
A #2C and a top 3 D at least.
The year before we fell hard down the stretch with a few ruffled feathers*

Gut tells me Buff and Maurice didn’t see eye to eye.

*Maurice’s words

Just like Babcock flew off season to see Matthews to smooth things out, Maurice travelled to see Laine to smooth things out.
Not sure everything is as rosy as it could be.

Coaching is not the only problem but it’s one of them.

Hellebucyk’s season masked a lot of shortcomings.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Buff is a legit issue.
The other 3 everyone knew way ahead of time.
Pionk replaced Trouba just fine.
There were a number of factors including coaching that contributed to a lacklustre year.
Chevy has his work cut out for him this off season.
A #2C and a top 3 D at least.
The year before we fell hard down the stretch with a few ruffled feathers*

Gut tells me Buff and Maurice didn’t see eye to eye.

*Maurice’s words

Just like Babcock flew off season to see Matthews to smooth things out, Maurice travelled to see Laine to smooth things out.
Not sure everything is as rosy as it could be.

Coaching is not the only problem but it’s one of them.

Hellebucyk’s season masked a lot of shortcomings.

Probably would of been better for the franchise if we bottomed out with helly playing average.

Still pumped for him though

Reactions: Eyeseeing

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Huh? We lost the play-in to Calgary. We did not make the playoffs. We were not in a playoff spot because the season hadn't ended. The NHL had to come up with a scenario that was 'fair'. So teams that were close to a playoff spot, on the bubble (from a points %) entered a qualifying round or play-in series to see who would make the playoffs. We didn't make it. We didn't participate in the playoffs. We got walked by Calgary in the play-in series. It was ugly. If you missed it, you are better off.

I am very familiar with the format and our unfortunate loss to Calgary. The wordings and classifications are certainly ambiguous for this unusual season. I was just pointing out that we did indeed technically make the "postseason" (sometimes the branding breaks it down into "Qualifiers" and "Playoffs" so I'll say "postseason").

Here's a quote from the original press release:
"For statistical purposes only, all games from the 2020 Stanley Cup Qualifiers (round robin and qualifying rounds) are considered part of the 2020 postseason. Accordingly, all skater/goalie/team statistics accumulated in these games will be included in the 2020 player and team postseason stats. Achievements from these games and series will be included on Records.NHL.com.
Teams participating in a best-of-five series during the Stanley Cup Qualifiers are considered to have made the postseason and participated in a postseason series.
" (NHL, NHLPA ratify four-year CBA extension, Return to Play Plan)
So basically Winnipeg officially made the postseason, lost a best-of-5 series, and players picked up some playoff stats. I suppose this year the word "Playoffs" was reserved for the final 4 rounds of the postseason so it's a bit strange.

Regarding the other point, we were also in a playoff spot when the season was suspended. It doesn't matter that the season hadn't ended because that's the whole point of saying "X Team is in a playoff spot", say in February. While Nashville or Calgary may have won their games in hand and passed us, at the time of suspension, they hadn't and thus by the rules in place in October 2019, Winnipeg was ahead. Again, this is just semantics and doesn't matter.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
He has a very strong case for best goalie in the league over the past 3 years. 2nd in Vezina voting -> average year -> Vezina winner.

Vasilevskiy is ahead. Winning a Cup this year would cement that.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I for one am shocked that people managed to turn Hellebuyck winning the Vezina trophy into some negative spin. Shocked I tell you! :eek:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I have zero time of day for anyone who thinks I'll eat any crow for Helley winning an award voted on by GMs, when no one is willing, seemingly, to change their opinion on Chevy after a decade. The hypocrisy is incredible. Helley stank in the play in series, and he blew the west final. He hasn't won a thing. So congrats I guess for being voted prettiest girl at the dance. I want to win a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I have zero time of day for anyone who thinks I'll eat any crow for Helley winning an award voted on by GMs, when no one is willing, seemingly, to change their opinion on Chevy after a decade. The hypocrisy is incredible. Helley stank in the play in series, and he blew the west final. He hasn't won a thing. So congrats I guess for being voted prettiest girl at the dance. I want to win a Stanley Cup.
Shocking.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people aren't as concerned as you think about your opinion :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

He was also pretty much the consensus pick anywhere you went in the hockey media world as well, and I'm sure the players around the league felt the same. He was 6th in voting for the Hart, the league MVP.

I'll always marvel at the ability of some to turn any positive into a negative.

Last edited:

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
He was also pretty much the consensus pick anywhere you went in the hockey media world as well, and I'm sure the players around the league felt the same. He was 6th in voting for the Hart, the league MVP.

I guess it's more of a "I don't care".

I'm not a relative of Helley, he's not my personal friend. I hope he enjoys his big steak dinner the Jets posted on instagram, comes back next year, and plays consistent goal and doesn't collapse in the playoffs.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I will play devils advocate here.

the Vezina helly won will be good for him and his next contract.

The organization would of been way better off to get a top 5 pick and have him perform this way when we actually had a chance to win.

I am very pumped for helly I just wanted to say there is a negative impact for him winning this award

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I will play devils advocate here.

the Vezina helly won will be good for him and his next contract.

The organization would of been way better off to get a top 5 pick and have him perform this way when we actually had a chance to win.

I am very pumped for helly I just wanted to say there is a negative impact for him winning this award

That's not a negative impact, just a realist impact, right? ;)

There was no guarantee they get a top 5 pick anyway. Detroit was historically bad and missed on the big top 3 picks. A playoff team got the 1st overall. The lottery is a crap shoot.

Hellebuyck's next contract is in 2025. That's a long way away.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
There was a post earlier about people saying there was a lot of silent posters who should eat crow.

I guess I took that as an invitation, chief.

edit:
To state that you won't admit you were wrong because you don't actually care about Hellebuyck's performance. I guess that's one way of admitting you're one of the nameless people.:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad