Confirmed with Link: Connor Hellebuyck nominated for Vezina Trophy - Winner!

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Man all the Hellebuyck doubters are awfully silent this season. I guess that's what happens when he carries your team and earns yet another Vezina nod while doing so. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't win it, especially given the narrative among the media about the award.

Well, I doubted whether Helle was ready for the starter role after the disappointing season with Hutchinson. I knew he'd turn into an NHL goalie at some point.

Glad it happened sooner rather than later :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Man all the Hellebuyck doubters are awfully silent this season. I guess that's what happens when he carries your team and earns yet another Vezina nod while doing so. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't win it, especially given the narrative among the media about the award.

Still need to see him steal a series. He was outplayed by MAF when it mattered most.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
He played well enough to win that series. MAF played better.
Hellebuyck had an awful series against Vegas. VGK's aggressive forecheck was tough to play against too and was the style of opposition play that had given them the most problems all that season, but the Jets dominated for long stretches and would finally put one past Fleury only to have Hellebuyck cough up a terrible turnover and get scored on 2 minutes later. It happened a couple of times and just completely demoralized the whole team. If the goals were a little easier to come by for the Jets, I think they would've won the series in the end, but the combination sank them psychologically.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck had an awful series against Vegas. VGK's aggressive forecheck was tough to play against too and was the style of opposition play that had given them the most problems all that season, but the Jets dominated for long stretches and would finally put one past Fleury only to have Hellebuyck cough up a terrible turnover and get scored on 2 minutes later. It happened a couple of times and just completely demoralized the whole team. If the goals were a little easier to come by for the Jets, I think they would've won the series in the end, but the combination sank them psychologically.

I'll believe Helle gave up a couple of weak ones - over 5 games. If that broke the Jets psychologically then they were already broken. Helle was good, but not outstanding in that series. MAF was outstanding and that was most of the difference.

No way I'm blaming that series loss on Helle.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'll believe Helle gave up a couple of weak ones - over 5 games. If that broke the Jets psychologically then they were already broken. Helle was good, but not outstanding in that series. MAF was outstanding and that was most of the difference.

No way I'm blaming that series loss on Helle.

Yeah I'd put a lot more blame on the horseshoe MAF had up his back end than anything else. He was on a crazy run up until they met the Caps in the finals and then it all came crashing down. We out everythinged Vegas (except goals) but MAF weathered every storm we threw at him.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
A 7 game series is a very short sample size. We need to remember that we are talking about single games here. We could easily pick games where Helle did not look strong from the regular season and string them into 5-7 game batches and say that this is not a strong goalie. That is not how it works. And I'm sure it is especially difficult to be a goalie in a team where the coach does not care if the top line cheats (meaning that usually the top-line-against is gunning for him with ease). Does not even acknowledge it even though it is plain to see for every schmuck in the crowd.

Helle is a big relaxed, very intelligent goalie who should win this prize. Rask is like DiCaprio, everyone with half a brain knows he is one of the best. There just might be someone better that singular year.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I love helly and I admit i was wrong on him.

But as I said before he has a average year then a great year then back to average so far.

If he played like he has this year I'm the blues series it's a different story.

If he strings 2 or 3 vezinas years in a row or even above average not only are the jets going deep but he will be recognized as the best.

He is close

Reactions: Jet

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

But as I said before he has a average year then a great year then back to average so far.

If he strings 2 or 3 vezinas years in a row or even above average not only are the jets going deep but he will be recognized as the best.

He is close

Think of it this way.

Price age 22-26
276 GP - 132 W - 109 L - 31 OTL - .918 sv% - 2.46 GAA - 21 SO
Never once a Vezina finalist during that stretch, never once made an all star team during that stretch. Wasn't until his 27 year old season where he won his Hart, Vezina, Jennings and Pearson.

Helle age 22-26
270 GP - 148 W - 85 L - 22 OTL - .917% - 2.64 GAA - 20 SO
Two time Vezina finalist, one time 2nd all star team goalie, might even win the Vezina this year.

Helle is already on the same trajectory that Price was and in some ways doing better.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Think of it this way.

Price age 22-26
Never once a Vezina finalist during that stretch, never once made an all star team during that stretch. Wasn't until his 27 year old season where he won his Hart, Vezina, Jennings and Pearson.

Helle age 22-26
Two time Vezina finalist, one time 2nd all star team goalie, might even win the Vezina this year.

Helle is already on the same trajectory that Price was and in some ways doing better.

Great comparison but everything is different between the two goalies.

Style , state of team, city , etc etc etc

It's hard to compare

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Think of it this way.

Price age 22-26

Helle age 22-26

Wasn’t the league average goalie numbers a bit better during Price’s time as well?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Think of it this way.

Price age 22-26

Helle age 22-26

Plus hard to imagine any team’s d as bad as ours was this year.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Hellebuyck deserves to win, no question - and I'm not just saying that because I'm a partisan Jets fan. I think Rask will get a lot of votes though...he's had a great season as well (though playing behind a much better team).

I wonder how much Helle starting 16 more games than Rask will be considered?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He is close

I think you make too much of the up & down pattern. In 5 years in the NHL he has had 1 down year. That was not last year. Sv% was down league wide last year. He did start a little slowly but by the end of the year he had his sv% a little above avg.

Look at his first 2 years in the NHL as establishing himself and winning the starter's job. The 3 seasons since have been Vezina nomination, a little above avg and Vezina nomination again. Give the guy a break, FCS. :laugh:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think you make too much of the up & down pattern. In 5 years in the NHL he has had 1 down year. That was not last year. Sv% was down league wide last year. He did start a little slowly but by the end of the year he had his sv% a little above avg.

Look at his first 2 years in the NHL as establishing himself and winning the starter's job. The 3 seasons since have been Vezina nomination, a little above avg and Vezina nomination again. Give the guy a break, FCS. :laugh:

Ok fine I will . If he stays in his net and doesnt try to play the puck anymore lol

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder how much Helle starting 16 more games than Rask will be considered?

Rask played 41 games Halak played 31 games. That is really close to splitting the net.

Rask had a great season but the gap between the quantity and quality of his work load and Helle’s is impossible to ignore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke749

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
The puck soup podcast guys think he could have been in top 3 candidates for the Hart, but might have ended up just missing out at 4th.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I held my peace on this when first announced.

Hellebuyck definitely had a great regular season so good on him for that.

But who cares if you're good in the regular season if you can't deliver the goods in the playoffs? Give me a Price being weak during the season then going into god mode in the play-ins/playoffs over a regular season Vezina any day.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I held my peace on this when first announced.

Hellebuyck definitely had a great regular season so good on him for that.

But who cares if you're good in the regular season if you can't deliver the goods in the playoffs? Give me a Price being weak during the season then going into god mode in the play-ins/playoffs over a regular season Vezina any day.
Fair. I’d argue Helly was pretty good in playoffs it was everyone who wasn’t. A case could be made for a few guys being good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad