Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Brown is a VERY important piece of this team. To me he's part of the core circle but he's only here for 2 more years.

Zub and Brown should be extended, just not sure we will have the money to go around once we give deals to Norris, Pinto, Formenton, Stutzle etc..

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No trading Brown, he’s a leader and core player of the team. He is also one of the play style moulds of our team.

We need to make sure that we maintain the core character of the culture we’re building, and Brown I think is one of those guys that would be awesome to have as a vet all the way through.

Paul has worked too hard and been too good for us to make him a cap casualty.

Reactions: HF Reader

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
No trading Brown, he’s a leader and core player of the team. He is also one of the play style moulds of our team.

We need to make sure that we maintain the core character of the culture we’re building, and Brown I think is one of those guys that would be awesome to have as a vet all the way through.

Paul has worked too hard and been too good for us to make him a cap casualty.
He’s going to have to take less than he would get on the open market. This is what happens when you have good players.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I’d be lookin at giving Paul some security and a raise. Maybe 3 x 3M or 4 x 2.75M. He doesn’t score at that rate but his intangibles are solid. He may try to cash in which is his right.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Can we afford to keep Brown. Can we afford not to keep him. The most obvious comparable in age, production and role is Zachary Hyman who got 38.5M over 7 years.

What is the max you would go with Brown and what’s the minimum you think he would accept.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
5x5 is highest I'd go.

Hyman signed 5.5 but he isn't worth it for that long. Go look at their board. They love the guy but he is not 5.5

Plus, you need game breakers in the playoffs. Look at hyman regular season stats vs playoff.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
$4 million per year for 6 years.

He's offensively producing because we are offensively starved. He's an average second liner, but on a contending team he'd be on the third line. We cannot do with Brown what the Oilers did with Hyman

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

He's offensively producing because we are offensively starved. He's an average second liner, but on a contending team he'd be on the third line. We cannot do with Brown what the Oilers did with Hyman

This would be perfect but i don't think he takes .4 extra only. I think we can get really try to do something with 4.5. I don't think Brown really cares about the extra .5 mil and he's happy here with vital role on the team.

But I do agree with you that his points are because he is playing higher, I don't see his offensive production translating to playoffs at all. I can see it dropping a whole .1-.2 ppg.

Reactions: bicboi64

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I don't see Connor Brown fitting into the longterm plans. This team does not have cap flexibility once Sanderson and Pinto come off their ELC and we need to plan for that. $4.5 might be workable but even then Pinto will command at least that and we don't have the long term cushion to be paying our 3rd line north of $10M, especially if we are hoping to make a UFA splash to bolster our top 6 RW.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
All this complaining about paying Brown because of "flexibility" is silly; teams will want to trade for him if he is priced out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't see Connor Brown fitting into the longterm plans. This team does not have cap flexibility once Sanderson and Pinto come off their ELC and we need to plan for that. $4.5 might be workable but even then Pinto will command at least that and we don't have the long term cushion to be paying our 3rd line north of $10M, especially if we are hoping to make a UFA splash to bolster our top 6 RW.
He is a top 6 rw. Plug one hole empty another. When the cap is 82 million you can absolutely pay your third line 10 million.

They need to extend him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He is a top 6 rw. Plug one hole empty another. When the cap is 82 million you can absolutely pay your third line 10 million.

They need to extend him.
The question is what’s the number. He makes 4M right now. Hyman is a direct comparable so if he is looking for 5.5 x 7 do you do it ?

This is a tough one, I want to keep him for sure but I’m hesitant to go longer than 5 years and more than 5M and I doubt that gets it done.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

They need to extend him.
Let's say in two years we've filled the holes in our 2 top lines. Brown, Formenton, Paul: is this the best 3rd line in NHL?? And how much are they worth? 13-14M?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Well, last night it's true. Pittsburgh is one of the best teams defensively, their system suffocates offense and we are missing half of our best forwards (Batherson, Norris, Pinto, White). But overall this season, the Sens have been scoring 2.72 GF/GP

Based on the injuries the Sens have had all season, I'd say that 2.72 goals for per game is pretty decent, particularly when you look at the main contributors ages (Batherson 23, Tkachuk 22, Norris 22, Stutzle 20, Formenton 22)

Last year, the NHL average scoring was 2.74 goals per game. It's a bit higher this year but to say that we are "offensively starved" would be a false statement.

He's an average second liner, but on a contending team he'd be on the third line. We cannot do with Brown what the Oilers did with Hyman

This doesn't describe Connor Brown very well. He is not a top-6 forward but "average second liner" is also not what he is.

First, Brown has scored 100 pts (43 goals) in 156 games with Ottawa, 0.64 PPG, 53 pts per 82 games. Only 97 NHL forwards have produced more points since 2019-20. Over that period, that's a similar production to Martin Necas, William Karlsson, Pierre-Luc Dubois... So right away, this is not "average production", it's excellent 2nd line production.

But that's the thing, his role is not that of top-6 forward. He doesn't get PP time like a top-6 forward, he is not deployed in the offensive zone to provide offense. He doesn't only play with other top-6 forwards. His main linemate, Nick Paul, is clearly not one. What is confusing is that due to a lack of depth as a rebuilding team and with injuries, he had to fill holes on the wing a bit all over the lineup and since he's the coach favorite player, he is used in a lot of situations.

Another very strong indicator, 78% of his production is at Even Strength and 9% on the PK, only 13% on the PP. In comparison, an elite player like McDavid scores 40% of his production on the PP. For most top-6 forwards 20-30% of their production comes from the PP

Connor Brown also faces the other team top forwards on a consistent basis, he is the most utilized forward on the PK in the whole league. He was 2nd in takeaways last season (behind only THE king Mark Stone) and was voted 17th for the Selke.

Really, "average 2nd liner" is the last thing I'd think of to define Connor Brown. He's a high end 2-way forward and it's taking time for him to get the recognition

Other contracts will come off the books, mainly Colin White, Matt Muray, Nikita Zaitsev. The cap will also resume to rise again. It depends more if there is still an INTERNAL cap. If not, Sens won't have any cap problems for a while unless Dorion continues to overpay some players and/or unless other players like Greig, Jarventie, Sokolov become stars and need to get paid (but then there won't be spots for everyone so we'll have to trade a guy or two. You can only have 5 guys on the PP!)

Sens can easily afford to keep Brown at 5 x5, Zub at 5x5 and Paul at 3x4

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
People do bring up an excellent point that Brown is almost definitely easily tradable because of his style of play--should we need to go that route.

And you can't trade him now, imo; guy is an absolute warrior and embodies how we wish to play even more than Brady. He's like a lesser skilled Stone, which is next best thing I guess..

The potential of what he can bring back is extremely enticing (1st round pick + Zary as comparable) but Brown helps us now and could form spectacular duo with Pinto next few years in our chance to compete for a cup quickly.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Let's say in two years we've filled the holes in our 2 top lines. Brown, Formenton, Paul: is this the best 3rd line in NHL?? And how much are they worth? 13-14M?
I have to wonder if people are watching the games and seeing what Formenton is doing at 22 and don't think he is a top 6 forward. Now that he is on the pp he looks good there too. So strange.... People are expecting all star team depth. Look who is on elite teams third lines they aren't 50 and 60 point scorers.

The question is what’s the number. He makes 4M right now. Hyman is a direct comparable so if he is looking for 5.5 x 7 do you do it ?

This is a tough one, I want to keep him for sure but I’m hesitant to go longer than 5 years and more than 5M and I doubt that gets it done.
I'd pay him 5 yeah. He is good both ways, the sens mantra isn't going to be to outskill teams. It's players that work hard, out compete and have skill to boot. Everyone wants a Fiala when they watch the highlites then they watch the games and realize he stinks away from the puck and lacks compete. The sens need some good players on ELC'S. Like it or not this teams top 8 is going to be comprised of

Stutzle, Tkachuk, Formenton, Batherson, Brown, Norris, Pinto and whoever they draft this year + Greig/Boucher/Jarventi/Sokolov. They aren't spending to the cap. Not with this owner. Ottawa is not a destination. If they have good players they gotta hang on to them.

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019

They need to extend him.

I said north of ten million and he is only a second liner on a team that has a less than ideal second line. We are in the incredibly advantageous position where we have ONE core hole to fill for the next 5-6 years and that's our second line RW position. I'd be disappointed if we stand pat and let Connor Brown fill that and that isn't a sleight on him he just doesn't have the tools to complete a 1A, 1B top 6 offensive threat. Perfect 3rd liner on a team with excellent depth, no question about it.

We will not be a standard model for managing the cap through the lines because of the abundance of riches we have. Our top 6 is going to consume more than average as will Chabot, Sanderson and hopefully Zub on the back end. The only solution when you project ahead on salaries is to squeeze more out of the bottom 6, which if we continue to draft well we should be able to do.

I love Brown's game but signing him to anything beyond 4.5 for 4+ years puts a squeeze on us at a time when he is firmly planted on the third line.

2025-2026 season

Tkachuk (8.2) Norris (6.5) Bath (5)
Formenton (4) Stu (7.5) xxx (6.5)
Paul (2.5) Pinto (4.5) Greig (2.5)
Jarv (1.25) Kasteleic (1.75) Soko (1.75)

Chabot (8) Zub (5)
Sando (8) Thomson (3.5)
Kleven (1.25) JBD (1.5)

Gus (3)
Soogard (1.25)

= $83.5M

Obviously a lot can change and it's a bit of a fool's errand to do this (I'm sure some will be lower some will be higher, some are placeholders, I haven't accounted for 13th forward or 7th d, no buyouts) but playing around with what we have right now I don't see how Brown fits on a long term deal.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad