Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
He's just been on absolute fire lately

Hoping this is the turning point in his career, have seen a lot of good players turn great in that 26-28 age range.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That trade really was fantastic, and even the Dorion haters — and I am definitely one of those — have to give credit where credit is due.

Nobody took issue with getting rid of Ceci or acquiring Brown, Zaitsev was the piece they were upset about. He's better than he gets credit for, but just like Ceci was, is probably sloted too high in our lineup.

I do feel like people might be getting a bit too high on Brown right now though, he's ridding a high and won't likely see his sh% stay at 16% next year, he's still going to be a solid player because his game is so well rounded, but going forward I don't expect more than ~20 goals and ~45 pts type production. Hope I'm wrong.

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
He's just having such a good season. I love his effort, his compete level, he's fired up. The results are great.. It may not continue but its a nice thing to watch in a non playoff year

Reactions: Icelevel

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He was the sweetener in order for us to get rid of Ceci. It’s like getting $100 in exchange for an old broken dryer.

If Brady gets a C and and A is freed up, I’d have zero issue giving it to Connor.

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Still have a hard time believing that I have read earlier in the season that we should leave him unprotected for Seattle. That would be a no brainer for them, their easiest pick to make

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hard not to like his game and effort. We are starting to see a little creativity but I’ve always viewed him as a simple player who looked off a lot of options as he shovelled the puck towards the net .... it eventually gets there ... but I think that keeps him a 3LW. I wish we would play him White who scorers most of his goals of rebounds around the net.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I have been saying it, his relentless 2-way game reminds me of Alfie. CB28 gives it all and I think what you see now is an evolved player in his prime. A freaking bargain at that contract, sheesh!

The Ceci trade looks like highway robbery. Dorion f***ing genius you!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He’s our new Clarke MacArthur. Love what he brings to the table every game and his chemistry with Paul is building at a rapid pace.
I think MacArthur was a bit more skilled and a bit more gritty, but otherwise very good comparison. Brown is more relentless in his pursuit imo and a better defensive player too.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Dude has underrated skating ability and a hound on the puck.

Our best most consistent forward this year, doing it while half of the game or season stuck with Tierney on his line.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
He was the sweetener in order for us to get rid of Ceci. It’s like getting $100 in exchange for an old broken dryer.

If Brady gets a C and and A is freed up, I’d have zero issue giving it to Connor.
He was the sweetener for us to take Zaitsev. All we had to do to get rid of Ceci was not qualify him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He just wills pucks into the net - best to see him constantly reinvent himself with the Sens and on the larger ice.

Probably worth $2-3 million of positive value last year ?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We were running with 3 assistants lat year (somehow we had 4 at the start of the year even though the max is 3 letters) so giving Brady or Chabot a C doesn't change anything. That said Gudbranson is gone (as is Stepan who wore a A at times) so there's an opening

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Would be nice to get C. Brown on another 9M x 2 years contract and Paul to a 10M x 3 year contract just to keep those depth guys that have melded so well for us (rather than chasing for guys like Ennis, Stepan, Pacquette, Gudbranson, MDZ in FA). And their contracts come up when our young core ages into veterancy.

Their incentive would be short quick raises (assuming that's more than fair market value, even a bit of an overpay) and they come off the books at 29-30 and can still chase last contracts on rebuilding teams needing veteran leadership.

Our incentive would be to transition our young group while maintaining quality depth, without handcuffing our internal salary cap too much as they come off the books as young core's salary shoots up (e.g. Chabot and Brady's salaries jump to 10M and Batherson to 5.4M in 3 years). Those contracts come loose as some of our bridges in Lassi, Greig, Formenton, Boucher will expire too.

Reactions: Xspyrit

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Have a feeling he may be our Hyman...If he keeps playing the way he does,we wont be able to afford him ...

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Have a feeling he may be our Hyman...If he keeps playing the way he does,we wont be able to afford him ...
In the 2023 offseason he'll be 29 and looking for a 7 year contract, just like Hyman.

Is a 5,500,000 X7 year contract too much for Brown? IDK.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In the 2023 offseason he'll be 29 and looking for a 7 year contract, just like Hyman.

Is a 5,500,000 X7 year contract too much for Brown? IDK.
Yeah thats some scary term,but if we have just come off a deep run with him being an important piece...Its going to make it hard,to not resign him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad