Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Connor Brown is a hockey player in the truest sens of the word. He can play 5 v 5, PK, PP, and just competes everywhere. A great addition so far that, if he ever figured how to finish like he did in junior, that would be something

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Connor Brown is a hockey player in the truest sens of the word. He can play 5 v 5, PK, PP, and just competes everywhere. A great addition so far that, if he ever figured how to finish like he did in junior, that would be something
Agreed, a complete hockey player, exactly the kind of player that wins playoff games too & he plays RW a position of weakness on this team & org IMO. He's not a flashy player, but he is a complete player who contributes all over the ice. Definitely a guy who can be a big part of this rebuild.

Last edited:
Reactions: NB613

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I like that he's very responsible and has a decent offensive skillset. He isn't anything out of the ordinary, but he's smart and can handle playing against top lines. I feel he's somewhat like a Pageau on the wing with better passing and a lesser shot.

The type of guy you want in your bottom 6.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

truest sens of the word. Was that done intentionally? I hope so.

Reactions: coladin

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perhaps we should trade for McDavid

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Do you not just love the feeling of knowing you ripped the Leafs off in two separate trades now? I do not see them making a trade with us again for a long, long time.

Reactions: aragorn

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do you not just love the feeling of knowing you ripped the Leafs off in two separate trades now? I do not see them making a trade with us again for a long, long time.

They are very happy about the fact that Ceci isn't going to be around next year. Toronto should get to revamp their D next off season and Ceci being on an expiring contract is great for Dubas.

We make great trading partners because they can take our bad contracts so that they can buy them out/dump them in the minors/pay the player for a year and let them walk while we get their suboptimal contracts which usually means we get a decent player who is a bit overpaid or signed for a bit too long.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Just curious on what you fellow forum dwellers would be comfortable to pay him next year and beyond (assuming he wants to stay here of course)

Next year is his last RFA year.

Since no one wanted to play, I'll say if this play continues, you could be looking at 4x4 to 5x5 territory. (This is if he puts up 40-50 points and good defensively and a leader) similar to what MacArthur was.

*I'm not assuming his production of 9 points per 10 continues. Obviously if that production continued he'd put up 70 and command big money.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They are very happy about the fact that Ceci isn't going to be around next year. Toronto should get to revamp their D next off season and Ceci being on an expiring contract is great for Dubas.

We make great trading partners because they can take our bad contracts so that they can buy them out/dump them in the minors/pay the player for a year and let them walk while we get their suboptimal contracts which usually means we get a decent player who is a bit overpaid or signed for a bit too long.

Given their cap situation, how exactly is Toronto going to revamp their D? They have over 60M committed to 9 players and only one D signed from their current 7 listed on cap friendly. Yes they get to revamp their D. They just dont have any room to do that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Since no one wanted to play, I'll say if this play continues, you could be looking at 4x4 to 5x5 territory. (This is if he puts up 40-50 points and good defensively and a leader) similar to what MacArthur was. I don't know if hes got MacArthur's offensive ceiling though.

Brown looks really good. The problem for Ottawa with him will be figuring out where he fits and slotting his salary. We have a few players coming that likely will take offensive opportunities from Brown.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Brown looks really good. The problem for Ottawa with him will be figuring out where he fits and slotting his salary. We have a few players coming that likely will take offensive opportunities from Brown.

For sure. A lot depends on things like what line combos we go with, how good we are, what role he's put on, etc. He could be more of a passenger on a first line or a driver on a third line. If he's the third asset on a good top line he could put up 60. He could be just as valuable driving a kick ass third line, but only get 35 points. Or anywhere in between.

SENSible67

Oct 31, 2019

20 goal rookie season. It's still in there. Long term he should be our #2/3 RW. His numbers might get inflated this year (our current scoring leader wtf?) and we may not like his ask.

To answer the Op's question I'd like 8 years at 3 mil.

Last edited:

SENSible67

Oct 31, 2019
Given their cap situation, how exactly is Toronto going to revamp their D? They have over 60M committed to 9 players and only one D signed from their current 7 listed on cap friendly. Yes they get to revamp their D. They just dont have any room to do that.

They will wait for inflation to save them. Next year they won't be able to do much but the following year their cap crunch should be gone. I see them keeping Muzzin at around 5 mil and letting Barrie and Ceci walk.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
They will wait for inflation to save them. Next year they won't be able to do much but the following year their cap crunch should be gone. I see them keeping Muzzin at around 5 mil and letting Barrie and Ceci walk.

They are paying a few players to be the best players in the league and that's a problem. Inflation isnt going to solve that short term.

SENSible67

Oct 31, 2019
They are paying a few players to be the best players in the league and that's a problem. Inflation isnt going to solve that short term.
You heard of expansion? the Cap is getting a good bump soon. I wish you were right but I don't think you are. I agree Marner's contract is insane but any GM would pay Tavares or Matthews their pile of gold.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You heard of expansion? the Cap is getting a good bump soon. I wish you were right but I don't think you are. I agree Marner's contract is insane but any GM would pay Tavares or Matthews their pile of gold.

Expansion won't move the cap all that much. Wouldn't they have to generate 34 million over league average for each team to get half a million to spend?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Well they're currently paying Ceci/Barrie a combined $7.25 million to be not great defensively while also being forced to play Holl/Gravel/Marincin in bottom pairing roles while their kids marinate. There's a world where they can actually improve defensively (mind you, while losing some offence on the back end) if they let Barrie/Ceci/Holl/Marincin/Gravel walk while replacing them with UFA (shutdown type)/Dermott (increased role)/Sandin/Liljgren.

It's not an easy task, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities either.

EDIT: To keep this a bit on topic, Brown has been great and if he and Pageau can keep the chemistry up I want them both re-signed to (basically) whatever they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->