Conn Smythe Winner?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
With Point's injury it's not gonna be anyone other than Hedman for the Lightning unless someone goes full Briere out there.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
One of these 6 players will win the Conn Smythe imo (no specific order);

Hedman, Point, Kucherov

Heiskanen, Khudobin, Benn

I don't think Dallas will test Vasilevskiy enough for him to be a stand out player in this series. It'll come down to the guys mentioned above. If Dallas wins, Khudobin will probably have to play the biggest part in it. If Tampa wins, it's a bit of a toss up. Feels like we can safely assume it'll be between these guys though.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Looking at the performance dip at Tampa when Point isnt playing, I must say there is no Point in this discussion without Brayden Point. Just wanted to Point it out. :sarcasm:

How did it go 1st round last year when Hedman was injured and didn't play? Tampa won games?

Reactions: PRZ45MD and Leksand

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Hedman has to be the favorite

3rd most goals in the playoffs by a Dman, ever
Yeah but he's doing it after growing a mullet. And when's the last time they gave the Conn Smythe to somebody with a mullet? Don't think anybody with a mullet has won the Conn Smythe since Gretzky. Usually they don't take kindly to players with mullets...

Reactions: Leksand

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Anyone know if a Conn Smythe winner has ever been lost to free agency the following season?

Wings traded Mike Vernon in the offseason after he won. To San Jose.

Devils traded Claude Lemieux the offseason after he won......to the Avs. He won another Cup the following season. :laugh:

Not sure if anyone's ever flat out walked away after a Conn Smythe win. Probably have to go back to the 70s or 80s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hedman has to be the favorite

3rd most goals in the playoffs by a Dman, ever

Conn Smythe is also about narrative a lot of the time and this isn't necessarily a bad thing but I dont find him being talked about as much as say Keith in 2015, Doughty in 2014, Pronger in 2006 etc. Plus with Kucherov and Point likely to hit at least 30 points each, possible the mid 30s I feel voters will prefer the big numbers.

If Dallas wins it would be nice to see Khudobin win, been 8 years since a goalie last won.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
If the Stars can win the Cup I don't care who wins the Conn Smythe really..it'll be between Heiskanen, Khudobin, and Benn though, and likely would come down to whoever has the biggest Finals run, and if Dallas plays Tampa and somehow wins they'll need a big offensive performance out of Benn and great goaltending from Khudobin. If Miro has a quiet offensive series again and the Stars win than one of those 2 guys will take it
Radulov.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know he mentioned it, but it is so off that I had to mention it. Pelech wouldn't even be top 3 on the Isles if the voting took place right now. Defensive defenders don't garner votes for this even if they were Norris level defensively which Pelech is not. It would be like Vlad Konstantinov winning the Conn Smythe in 1997 with 20 GP and 4 pts even though he was a big part of our defensive game.
Love Vlad

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Conn Smythe is also about narrative a lot of the time and this isn't necessarily a bad thing but I dont find him being talked about as much as say Keith in 2015, Doughty in 2014, Pronger in 2006 etc. Plus with Kucherov and Point likely to hit at least 30 points each, possible the mid 30s I feel voters will prefer the big numbers.

If Dallas wins it would be nice to see Khudobin win, been 8 years since a goalie last won.
No offense to Hedman, but the reason he isn’t being talked about the same way as let’s say Keith is because he’s got more support around him.

Keith was dragging that Hawks defense core in 2015. They basically didn’t play the bottom pairing and Oduya was a corpse by the end of the run. And Hedman has played very well, he’s just had more help is all.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
No offense to Hedman, but the reason he isn’t being talked about the same way as let’s say Keith is because he’s got more support around him.

Keith was dragging that Hawks defense core in 2015. They basically didn’t play the bottom pairing and Oduya was a corpse by the end of the run. And Hedman has played very well, he’s just had more help is all.
I've been thinking about Keith since the Boston series when I watch Hedman this year. God, Keith killed us.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah but he's doing it after growing a mullet. And when's the last time they gave the Conn Smythe to somebody with a mullet? Don't think anybody with a mullet has won the Conn Smythe since Gretzky. Usually they don't take kindly to players with mullets...

Hey, Stamkos scored 60 goals with a mullet. Well, basically a mullet. Maybe these playoffs are a sign. Hedman to break defenseman goal scoring records.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Our D has been very good as a whole, yeah. It's been excellent, really. And that's why none of the series have gotten overly close. Even so, without Hedman, we're not in the SCF right now. No way on earth.

Reactions: PRZ45MD

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Hey, Stamkos scored 60 goals with a mullet. Well, basically a mullet. Maybe these playoffs are a sign. Hedman to break defenseman goal scoring records.
Yeah, everybody scores more with a mullet! Growing a mullet will improve your confidence to magical levels. There's a reason why the top 2 guys on the all time points list both had mullets. But this also has a lot of people question stats that are scored with a mullet. Some would even like to ban mullets as they feel it's a blatant performance enhancement tool.

PRZ45MD

Aug 11, 2016
I've been thinking about Keith since the Boston series when I watch Hedman this year. God, Keith killed us.
Keith's sneaky wrist breaking slashes to Tyler Johnson killed us specifically. Healthy TJ and a few more f/o wins make that series go the other way entirely.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If the Stars win, expect voters to go with Benn. The voters are mostly Canadian, and this thing has only been awarded to a European four time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad