Conn Smythe Winner?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My first vote was Point but honestly Hedman was pretty deserving of it as well. Such a solid team overall that they can win it without Stamkos without much trouble.
I think it just depends how heavily you weigh the finals over the other rounds. Hedman came back down to earth a little bit, whereas Point kept right on driving the bus.

I like that it was close. Hedman was so unbelievable for 3 rounds that I think he deserves it, but if ever there was a year for an honorable mention...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I find it amusing that the Conn Smythe Trophy is still essentially a model of the old Maple Leaf Gardens, a venue that no longer exists, and all the nameplates are still maple leafs.

And yes, I do get Smythe's connection with the Leafs and with the Gardens.

Guess you just don't mess with tradition, although no Leaf has won it since Keon in '67.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
For people doubting Hedman as the playoff's MVP, he finishes 5th in scoring as a D-man and he has played almost 100 minutes more than the 2nd most used player by Tampa. By himself, he has played almost 2 more games than anybody on the Lightning (quality minutes that is).

If that's not MVP, I don't know what is.

You seem to be making the case for Andrei Vasilevskiy here.

I'm
fine with Hedman winning it but Point would have been acceptable as well and Andrei and Kucherov has Conn Smythe worthy playoffs as well.

VVP

Oct 7, 2017
This is the way to put it. You have Tampa without Point and Tampa without Hedman, both teams likely will go deeper in the playoffs? To me the answer is clear.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
You seem to be making the case for Andrei Vasilevskiy here.

I'm
fine with Hedman winning it but Point would have been acceptable as well and Andrei and Kucherov has Conn Smythe worthy playoffs as well.
Vasilevsky did not finish 5th in scoring as a D-man and is a goalie, TOI has nothing to compare to other position.

I agree the 4 pillars for the cup win are Kuch, Vasi, Point & Hedman, I'm just making the case that Hedman was the most valuable of the bunch based on what I posted.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It speaks well of a team that when it is all over and they had three, maybe four worthy candidates. The guys that get the big bucks showed up. You can't say that for a lot of teams.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Apparently it was the closest Conn Smythe trophy vote ever. Hedman 9-8-1 vs Point 8-8-2 per Frank Seravelli

Did you know one of the voters is Swedish? ;)

He voted for Point though. He said he couldn't really decide and didn't want to seem like a homer.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
It speaks well of a team that when it is all over and they had three, maybe four worthy candidates. The guys that get the big bucks showed up. You can't say that for a lot of teams.

You couldn't say that about Tampa in the past.

Everyone came to play this year. Huge difference.

Reactions: Hoek

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Did you know one of the voters is Swedish? ;)

He voted for Point though. He said he couldn't really decide and didn't want to seem like a homer.

Bjurman? He has so much bias against russian players (exception Ovie) that he shouldnt have a vote in anything. Kucherov is the one hes was the worst to before I stoped reading his trash.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Bjurman? He has so much bias against russian players (exception Ovie) that he shouldnt have a vote in anything. Kucherov is the one hes was the worst to before I stoped reading his trash.
Jonathan Lindqvist got to vote, no? He's even from the same town as Hedman, and went to the same school as him. Hes very objective though, and rarely let his blue/yellow heart decide, which is good.

Bjurman is an enigma to me - a music reporter that suddenly got his own sports column, which shows. Guess some people find him fun, but I hope they don't take his opinions into account regarding hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad