Conn Smythe Winner?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What if Benn has a big finals?

Can definitely see Benn stealing some of Miro's shine, albeit with some help from the Canadian media (unfortunately).

I still think it's Miro's to lose.

This is all contingent on Dallas actually winning the Cup, of course, as I don't see either player getting enough love from the voters to be awarded the MVP in defeat.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Can definitely see Benn stealing some of Miro's shine, albeit with some help from the Canadian media (unfortunately).

I still think it's Miro's to lose.

This is all contingent on Dallas actually winning the Cup, of course, as I don't see either player getting enough love from the voters to be awarded the MVP in defeat.
I think at this point its Khudobin to lose the media is hyping him as if he's stood on his head all POs or something .

Reactions: sr edler

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Yep. He wasn't particularly good against Calgary either which is why it looked closer than it really was
I don't know if hes getting Conn Smythe hype but i think the media (and hockey fans) like talking about his competitive battle and on/off ice demeanor. He's a good dude.
Who wouldn't want to battle for this guy!

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If the Stars can win the Cup I don't care who wins the Conn Smythe really..it'll be between Heiskanen, Khudobin, and Benn though, and likely would come down to whoever has the biggest Finals run, and if Dallas plays Tampa and somehow wins they'll need a big offensive performance out of Benn and great goaltending from Khudobin. If Miro has a quiet offensive series again and the Stars win than one of those 2 guys will take it

Reactions: Deku

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If the Stars can win the Cup I don't care who wins the Conn Smythe really..it'll be between Heiskanen, Khudobin, and Benn though, and likely would come down to whoever has the biggest Finals run, and if Dallas plays Tampa and somehow wins they'll need a big offensive performance out of Benn and great goaltending from Khudobin. If Miro has a quiet offensive series again and the Stars win than one of those 2 guys will take it

Same....it'd be awesome to see Miro win.

But if the Stars somehow cap off this ridiculous campaign with a Cup win, honestly I'd probably be too overcome with emotion for the Conn Smythe winner to even register. :laugh:

Whatever happens I'm just glad they pulled together and made it this far.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Looking at the performance dip at Tampa when Point isnt playing, I must say there is no Point in this discussion without Brayden Point. Just wanted to Point it out. :sarcasm:
Thats a good point.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I realize Benn is the captain but wouldnt Gurianov be in the running with a big finals? Every cup winner gets pts production from somewhere unexpected.

Tamfastic

Nov 24, 2014
At this point, Point is the obvious winner of Conn Smythe, if Tampa wins Stanley Cup. We just dont seem to win a game without him.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Tampa -
Point
Vasy
Hedman

Islanders -
Varlamov
Pelech (he'd never win because of numbers but he's been as important as anyone on NYI)

Haven't been able to watch much of the West so will not opine.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
At this point:

Heiskanen if Dallas wins unless Khudobin steals a bunch of Finals games.

Point, Kucherov or Vasilevskiy if Tampa wins.

Brock Nelson? If NYI's win this could be a loser wins it year as none of their guys are head and shoulders the lead guy, in which case Heiskanen for Dallas wins it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Tampa -
Point
Vasy
Hedman

Islanders -
Varlamov
Pelech (he'd never win because of numbers but he's been as important as anyone on NYI)

Haven't been able to watch much of the West so will not opine.

A player like Pelech (important or not) would never win the Conn Smythe with those numbers in a million years. Voters always take the highest producing star when obvious, or the highest producing non star players when the stars have been less important.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
A player like Pelech (important or not) would never win the Conn Smythe with those numbers in a million years. Voters always take the highest producing star when obvious, or the highest producing non star players when the stars have been less important.

Yes, the poster brought that up already.

But from an NYI POV, Varly, Pelech and Nelson are the three.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, the poster brought that up already.

But from an NYI POV, Varly, Pelech and Nelson are the three.

I know he mentioned it, but it is so off that I had to mention it. Pelech wouldn't even be top 3 on the Isles if the voting took place right now. Defensive defenders don't garner votes for this even if they were Norris level defensively which Pelech is not. It would be like Vlad Konstantinov winning the Conn Smythe in 1997 with 20 GP and 4 pts even though he was a big part of our defensive game.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I know he mentioned it, but it is so off that I had to mention it. Pelech wouldn't even be top 3 on the Isles if the voting took place right now. Defensive defenders don't garner votes for this even if they were Norris level defensively which Pelech is not. It would be like Vlad Konstantinov winning the Conn Smythe in 1997 with 20 GP and 4 pts even though he was a big part of our defensive game.

No, you didn't have to mention it, since I actually wrote the words "he'd never win because of numbers."

This is like when reporters "break news" by taking another reporter's breaking news who beat them to a scoop but tweak in a little way which makes it their own story.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, you didn't have to mention it, since I actually wrote the words "he'd never win because of numbers."

This is like when reporters "break news" by taking another reporter's breaking news who beat them to a scoop but tweak in a little way which makes it their own story.

Yeah, but by mentioning his name you kind of imply that he would get a decent amount of votes. My point is I am not sure he even gets any, beside possible a few from NYI media people.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yeah, but by mentioning his name you kind of imply that he would get a decent amount of votes. My point is I am not sure he even gets any, beside possible a few from NYI media people.

Okay that's fair. And from my perspective it's Varly and then everybody else, just wanted to give Pelly some shine.

He had one bad game against Philly and that's really it. His numbers would look a lot better if they didn't take a hit when he came in relief of Griess in ECF game 1 and his team allowed him to get blitzed.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Okay that's fair. And from my perspective it's Varly and then everybody else, just wanted to give Pelly some shine.

He had one bad game against Philly and that's really it. His numbers would look a lot better if they didn't take a hit when he came in relief of Griess in ECF game 1 and his team allowed him to get blitzed.

Yeah I get it, nothing wrong with liking his game, and defensive guys are just as important in winning and sometimes much more so, it just isn't flashy enough to draw the voters to it. Has Nelson been as good as his numbers look? Not taking anything away from Bailey but 9 goals and 18 pts to me is more important than Bailey's 2 G and 18 A for for 20 pts.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I get it, nothing wrong with liking his game, and defensive guys are just as important in winning and sometimes much more so, it just isn't flashy enough to draw the voters to it. Has Nelson been as good as his numbers look? Not taking anything away from Bailey but 9 goals and 18 pts to me is more important than Bailey's 2 G and 18 A for for 20 pts.

Yes, Brock definitely has been as good as the numbers and even bringing it on the defensive side & PK.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad