Conn Smythe Winner?

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Keith's sneaky wrist breaking slashes to Tyler Johnson killed us specifically. Healthy TJ and a few more f/o wins make that series go the other way entirely.

It wasn't a slash by Keith.
It was a hit by Seabrook in Game 1 where Johnson awkwardly landed on his wrist.

And yes, it was clear that Johnson was hurt for the rest of the series. He wasn't even taking faceoffs.
Add to that Bishop playing with a torn groin and Kucherov was injured in Game 5 when he crashed into the crossbar.

Blackhawks had a bunch of injuries as well. Rozy broke his ankle, Oduya tore his elbow, Kruger, Versteeg, and Shaw were playing through injuries. Bickell missed almost the whole series due to his yet to be diagnosed MS.

It was a tight series and everything plays into that of course. Could easily have gone in Tampa's favor.

nihlify

Jan 20, 2010
After the last round I'd say Hedman for Tampa but could tip towards Vasy, Kucherov or Point with a strong final series. Haven't watch enough of Dallas to say, but Heiskanen have look impressive when I did watch.

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
If they all perform similarly in the finals I think it's Hedman's or Heiskanen's to lose. You could make a case for Point or Vasy, but I think Hedman's passed Point the last couple of games and Vasy -- as solid as he's been -- hasn't been too busy. Khudobin was far too shaky against the avs and Heiskanen has been fantastic throughout the entire playoffs. Benn/Gurianov/Klingberg have been great at times, but they're far behind Heiskanen in terms of overall performance.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If they all perform similarly in the finals I think it's Hedman's or Heiskanen's to lose. You could make a case for Point or Vasy, but I think Hedman's passed Point the last couple of games and Vasy -- as solid as he's been -- hasn't been too busy. Khudobin was far too shaky against the avs and Heiskanen has been fantastic throughout the entire playoffs. Benn/Gurianov/Klingberg have been great at times, but they're far behind Heiskanen in terms of overall performance.

Thing is, Heiskanen had a quiet offensive performance vs Vegas. Conn Smythe will probably be awarded based on these last 2 rounds unless he just has far and away more points than everyone on the team, which was the case originally but now Benn has really closed the gap, and if the Stars win the Cup he will need to close that gap all the way imo cause theyll need a big performance from him. Khudobin too

Reactions: voxel

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
No offense to Hedman, but the reason he isn’t being talked about the same way as let’s say Keith is because he’s got more support around him.

Keith was dragging that Hawks defense core in 2015. They basically didn’t play the bottom pairing and Oduya was a corpse by the end of the run. And Hedman has played very well, he’s just had more help is all.

Agreed, Tampas D-core is pretty stacked which is why unless he has a crazy finals, I'm not convinced he will get it.

Plus voters love their high point totals.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hedman unless he looks average and Point continues going bananas.

Heiskanen.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed, Tampas D-core is pretty stacked which is why unless he has a crazy finals, I'm not convinced he will get it.

Plus voters love their high point totals.

Are you under the impression all the defensemen play at the same time?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Yeah but he's doing it after growing a mullet. And when's the last time they gave the Conn Smythe to somebody with a mullet? Don't think anybody with a mullet has won the Conn Smythe since Gretzky. Usually they don't take kindly to players with mullets...
Yeah, everybody scores more with a mullet! Growing a mullet will improve your confidence to magical levels. There's a reason why the top 2 guys on the all time points list both had mullets. But this also has a lot of people question stats that are scored with a mullet. Some would even like to ban mullets as they feel it's a blatant performance enhancement tool.

I know you're jesting here but Hedman doesn't have a mullet, just semi-long hair. Didn't Patrick Kane wear an actual mullet a few years back?

Also lol at people saying Tampa's D is stacked when they're playing guys like Schenn and Bogosian. Both Cernak and McDonagh are minus players so far while Hedman is +19.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I know you're jesting here but Hedman doesn't have a mullet, just semi-long hair. Didn't Patrick Kane wear an actual mullet a few years back?

Also lol at people saying Tampa's D is stacked when they're playing guys like Schenn and Bogosian. Both Cernak and McDonagh are minus players so far while Hedman is +19.
Dude, I'm Mulletman! I think Mulletman knows a little bit more about mullets than sr edler...

Kane's mullet was weak at best. With such thin hair as Kane you need to have a way more defined mullet with longer hair in the back than what Kane ever had. Only guys with more thick hair can pull off a shorter version of the mullet.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Khudobin or Hesk for Dallas and Hedman or Point for Tampa
Kuch should not be in the conversation

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Khudobin or Hesk for Dallas and Hedman or Point for Tampa
Kuch should not be in the conversation

Still plenty of conversing left to do though. Kucherov and Vasy could both get themselves into the conversation with a strong final. The finals are usually given a little more weight in the voting. Point could easily drop out of the conversation because he's so banged up.

To me, it's Hedman's to lose if TB wins, but Kucherov and Vasilevskiy aren't completely off the map right now.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I mean this was a Dallas game. 11 players got points, not a single player got multiple points.

First star was Khudobin, that's probably correct. Second star was Oleksiak, that is also correct he did great. Third star was given to Hanley, I personally think it should have gone to Lindell, but Hanley had a nice goal to open things up. Another star candidate would be Kiviranta, because he had that thundering check on Point (right move and right guy) in the first period setting up the first goal, and he scored the third goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad