Condon (OTT) on waivers: cleared

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
at that hilarious price and extension... I doubt it
Andy has been good to start the season and still has some gas in the tank. I could see a team like Philly opting to take a chance on him.

Condon, not a chance anyone picks him up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Andy has been good to start the season and still has some gas in the tank. I could see a team like Philly opting to take a chance on him.

you have to think these teams are already paying their own goalies... without the cap yeah sure why not.. but the dollars are important.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I kinda get it to be honest. Condon saved our season and played fairly well although you could see he had a hard time keeping up with the workload at the end. Nowadays when goalies play well, even for short periods of time, they get longer term contracts by teams desperate for goaltending (See Darling, Talbot, Dubnyk, Lack, Hutton and etc). Had we not given Condon a deal he would've gotten one somewhere else and when considering Anderson is often injured and streaky it was a calculated risk.

I get that it now seemingly turned out bad and we can say it was a bad decision but back then the point was to see Anderson and Condon split games nearly 50/50 so his contract considering that wasn't that bad. It's a lot of money for a backup but Condon was counted on to be a 1B type of guy more than a backup.

Condon had a .914 save percentage, he hardly "saved" the season. Andrew Hammond had the exact same save percentage that season. Condon got us through a tough time, but I would give more credit to the players playing forward and defence before giving Condon all the credit.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Condon had a .914 save percentage, he hardly "saved" the season. Andrew Hammond had the exact same save percentage that season. Condon got us through a tough time, but I would give more credit to the players playing forward and defence before giving Condon all the credit.
condon came in and wasn't a wreck. he played like a perfectly fine backup... teams on budgets don't give perfectly fine backups this sort of money

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
you have to think these teams are already paying their own goalies... without the cap yeah sure why not.. but the dollars are important.

We’d Probably have to take one of their bad goalies back, but if the return is decent (2nd round pick) I’d do the trade

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I agree with this, just don't agree with the "he saved our season" peeps.

Well i think the argument is more about him coming and having that ,914 save pourcentage that we would not have had if it was Driedger or O'connor in net. ( Hammond was injured, right? And even Hammond would not have that )

So while ,914 is not spectacular, without that trade we are probably missing the playoff that year.

Now, there is nothing that warrant that contract, that's for sure. But he technically was a big reason we could get to the playoff when you take into account that the other player who would have had the net are Driedger and MOC.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well i think the argument is more about him coming and having that ,914 save pourcentage that we would not have had if it was Driedger or O'connor in net. ( Hammond was injured, right? And even Hammond would not have that )

So while ,914 is not spectacular, without that trade we are probably missing the playoff that year.

Now, there is nothing that warrant that contract, that's for sure. But he technically was a big reason we could get to the playoff when you take into account that the other player who would have had the net are Driedger and MOC.
im pretty sure Hammond actually had that exact save percentage that year.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It was .914 the year before.

You are right, however, Hammond's ,914 save percentage did not instill a whole lot of confidence on the fanbase that year, so Condon's equal .914 save % the following year should have had the same effect.

Yes, we did make the playoffs because he provided stability when needed, BUT there were many other factors that led us to the playoffs.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If Joe Sakic picks up Condon I will cry laughing for a week.

We'd be one bad bounce away from playing I don't even know who for like 60 games this season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You are right, however, Hammond's ,914 save percentage did not instill a whole lot of confidence on the fanbase that year, so Condon's equal .914 save % the following year should have had the same effect.

Yes, we did make the playoffs because he provided stability when needed, BUT there were many other factors that led us to the playoffs.

Condon started 27 straight games and had 5 shutouts. He was amazing for us, so was EK, other players were playing well, but Condon saves that season for us without a doubt and was reason #2 after EK that we made the playoffs

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Condon started 27 straight games and had 5 shutouts. He was amazing for us, so was EK, other players were playing well, but Condon saves that season for us without a doubt and was reason #2 after EK that we made the playoffs

Agree to disagree. Either way, he seems like a good dude, and wish him the best, but he can't stop a beach ball right now and I am not so sure he will be turning it around any time soon. The extension was not necessary.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If Joe Sakic picks up Condon I will cry laughing for a week.

We'd be one bad bounce away from playing I don't even know who for like 60 games this season.

I don't see how any of the kids in the AHL/ECHL could be worse than what we just saw in Arizona.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Could L.A be a potential pick up destination for him seeing that Quick is now injured long term.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Could L.A be a potential pick up destination for him seeing that Quick is now injured long term.

If indefinitely covers the entire season? Then yes, though I have no idea about their organizational depth, only from a cost analysis standpoint.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC

I can’t see them being interested. They have taken chances and failed enough times on iffy goalies

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Agree to disagree. Either way, he seems like a good dude, and wish him the best, but he can't stop a beach ball right now and I am not so sure he will be turning it around any time soon. The extension was not necessary.

I agree. The extension seemed a bit rich but a good idea at the time, you hoped he'd turn into a Reimer type of elite backup / 1B goalie, maybe even a starter like Andy did.

I'd be into him being our starter next year when we are going for the #1 overall pick. He seems to be the guy to do that for you

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I can’t see them being interested. They have taken chances and failed enough times on iffy goalies

I know, but they've given up the most goals in the East by a wide margin and that is a playoff team outside of the goaltending. When you're 1 player away team do funny things. He'd be a good fit there.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Gustavsson got the win for Belleville last night despite being heavily outshot (inclduing 18-0 in the third period alone). Seems like he'd feel right at home on the big club.

Reactions: coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Gustavsson got the win for Belleville last night despite being heavily outshot (inclduing 18-0 in the third period alone). Seems like he'd feel right at home on the big club.

By all accounts, he sounds like a promising pro. He could be up permanently after the Christmas break if he continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad