Condon (OTT) on waivers: cleared

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Had to happen unless the team is okay with conceding defeat every game he's expected to play. He's worse than Hammond. Nice enough guy, but considering the contract that he's guaranteed to collect from us, I dont feel bad at all for him right now.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Good, he's terrible and pretty much cost us both games he played so far as well as many last year.

Just try something else, it can't really be that much worse at this point.

Not that anyone is going to pick him up, but maybe we're willing to eat his salary in the minors with a cheap replacement.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Dorion...
Waives Smith right before season starts => puts him back on the top line.
Goalie has an embarrassing game => waives him immediately.
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a clusterf*** last season. It will get only worse going forward.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Dorion...
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a cluster**** last season. It won't become any better going forward.

I mean I get what you're saying but...there's also only 62 roster spots in the NHL for goalies, so as a backup already you're skating on thin ice especially when you have played as bad as Condon the past 2 years.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Good, he's terrible and pretty much cost us both games he played so far as well as many last year.

Just try something else, it can't really be that much worse at this point.

Not that anyone is going to pick him up, but maybe we're willing to eat his salary in the minors with a cheap replacement.

If he gets bought out come June, they'll pay 1.4 million over 2 years on the cap for his buyout vs 2.4 million in 2019-20 for his regular salary. It's worth it.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion...
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a cluster**** last season. It will get only worse going forward.

What are they supposed to with Condon, put him in net and just accept how poorly he'll play? He's also the in guaranteed lost Territory. The team hid him the best they can, a 10pm start in Arizona and he can't even stop a dump in.

This has à Dan Cloutier and Tommy Salo feel to it after he let in the Lidtrom playoff goal and the Olympic Belarus goal. Never recovered from that. My guess is Condon doesn't recover from this, not in a psychological way, last night was the plain blueprint that he doesn't have NHL talent.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Dorion...
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a cluster**** last season. It will get only worse going forward.

So lemme get this straight...

You are against Condon being waived? Do you know why he is being waived?

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Dorion...
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a cluster**** last season.

Im not sure how you can fault Dorion for waiving Condon?

The NHL is not the place for a goalie who's confidence has been utterly shattered (by his own play) to try and re-find his game. Goalies can't be mentally compromised, and Mikey clearly is right now.

Its got to be tough on a dressing room knowing that the backup goalie is playing that night, and will struggle saving shots from the opposite end of the ice. If anything that is going to have a much more negative effect on the room right now than waiving the backup goalie.

I've played hockey at a higher level, and nothing can affect your head and game like knowing that you have a total sieve in your net. Its so much harder to give it your all in those games when you know that your goalie is probably going to lose the game for your team anyways.

And I think we have seen that to be the case with our team this year and Condon, and its exactly the reason why he's been waived.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If he gets bought out come June, they'll pay 1.4 million over 2 years on the cap for his buyout vs 2.4 million in 2019-20 for his regular salary. It's worth it.

But then you still need to fill that spot with a contract. If Hogberg becomes our backup, we're spending $835k instead of $70k. We're only saving ~250k by buying out Condon.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
But then you still need to fill that spot with a contract. If Hogberg becomes our backup, we're spending $835k instead of $70k. We're only saving ~250k by buying out Condon.

It's more of even in a rebuild year next year again, they aren't going to have both Condon and Anderson on the roster. I said a buyout, because taking the penalty > giving up an decent asset (2nd rounder/b level prospect) to trade with Anderson

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dorion...

What would you do instead?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's more of even in a rebuild year next year again, they aren't going to have both Condon and Anderson on the roster. I said a buyout, because taking the penalty > giving up an decent asset (2nd rounder/b level prospect) to trade with Anderson

Why not? I don't understand the logic here. If we can't trade away Anderson without getting anything back in return, we won't trade him (unless, ofcourse, Melnyk mandates it for financial reasons). If we aren't trading Anderson away, why do we need to buyout Condon?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why not? I don't understand the logic here. If we can't trade away Anderson without getting anything back in return, we won't trade him (unless, ofcourse, Melnyk mandates it for financial reasons). If we aren't trading Anderson away, why do we need to buyout Condon?

Anderson already requested a trade, so maybe it's in the back of his head.

If the team is rebuilding, I'd like to see Gustavasson gets games than a 37 year old anderson.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Anderson already requested a trade, so maybe it's in the back of his head.

If the team is rebuilding, I'd like to see Gustavasson gets games than a 37 year old anderson.

A) Anderson has denied he asked for a trade. Besides, even if he did, we aren't forced to trade him. If he has negative value, we're not going to trade him.

B) No, I DON'T want to see Gustavsson get some games if he's not ready. As of right now, he's absolutely not ready. We shouldn't destroy his development.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
A) Anderson has denied he asked for a trade. Besides, even if he did, we aren't forced to trade him. If he has negative value, we're not going to trade him.

B) No, I DON'T want to see Gustavsson get some games if he's not ready. As of right now, he's absolutely not ready. We shouldn't destroy his development.

*next year. not this year. I want to see prospects, not another damn season of the same crap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->