Condon (OTT) on waivers: cleared

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
By all accounts, he sounds like a promising pro. He could be up permanently after the Christmas break if he continues.

Please no! Goalies in particular need seasoning especially coming from over seas.

Belleville is doing fine so far...I will keep saying they need to instill a winning culture there first before it will really translate to the big club.

Let the kids play and grow in a relatively stress free environment and when they come up next year or the year after we have a group who are used to winning and playing the right way together.

A few of them will be impact players but this Ottawa season is shot and no need to mess with the development of the future.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I could see Gustavsson getting a game in to have a taste of the NHL, but otherwise there's no need to rush the guy. His AHL numbers in a short sample size look promising. If he ends up as Anderson's successor 2-3 years from now, that'd be huge for this team.

Reactions: bert and BigRig4

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I have a gut feeling Condon gets claimed for some reason... maybe NYI since Lou had interest in him in toronto

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I have a gut feeling Condon gets claimed for some reason... maybe NYI since Lou had interest in him in toronto

I doubt it. Maybe a trade with some retaining of Condon. Doubt that as well though.

Edit: just realized time. He cleared

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
It gives Condon a chance to regain his form.

It means Condon is not backstopping the Sens any time soon.

It costs Melnyk more money, while #EmptyCTC is draining his resources.

Win-Win-Win.

Reactions: Rand0m

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Still saved the season. He played 25 games in a row and was very solid.

I don't know...

Among goalies who played at least 1000 mins at Even Strength in 2016-17 (on 50 goalies) :

SV% : 43th
HDSV% : 37th
MDSV% : 26th
LDV% : 42nd
Average Goal distance : 45th
Average Shot distance : 40th
SA/60 : 39th
HDSA/60 : 41th

He seemed to have better numbers on the PK (among 51 goalie who played at least 100 minutes on the PK):

SV% : 12th
HDSV% : 11th
MDSV% : 22th
LDV% : 28th
Average Goal distance : 43rd
Average Shot distance : 48th
SA/60 : 30th
HDSA/60 : 46th

The team did a good job defensively in 2016-17

CA/60 at ES : 27th
SA/60 at ES : 13th
SCA/60 at ES : 22nd
HDCA/60 at ES : 14th

On the PK :

CA/60 : 22nd
SA/60 : 11th
SCA/60 : 15th
HDCA/60 : 8th

He did well considering the situation and how good he is, helped the team stay afloat (19-14-6) while Andy was away. Many goalies would have done the same or better.

Last edited:
Reactions: OD99

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Gustavsson got the win for Belleville last night despite being heavily outshot (inclduing 18-0 in the third period alone). Seems like he'd feel right at home on the big club.

Eleven games in the AHL.......and on North American Sized Ice (plus any he may have played in the ECHL) ........ needs a minimum of two seasons in the AHL, before considering moving him up to the NHL

By all accounts, he sounds like a promising pro. He could be up permanently after the Christmas break if he continues.

iu

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Please no! Goalies in particular need seasoning especially coming from over seas.

Belleville is doing fine so far...I will keep saying they need to instill a winning culture there first before it will really translate to the big club.

Let the kids play and grow in a relatively stress free environment and when they come up next year or the year after we have a group who are used to winning and playing the right way together.

A few of them will be impact players but this Ottawa season is shot and no need to mess with the development of the future.

I'm not ready to write the season off yet, but he may force his way up here. Let's hope that is the case.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Still saved the season. He played 25 games in a row and was very solid.

So seems like a good idea to extend him for three years... I mean they just made the mistake with Hammond the exact same mistake lol.

I just dont know how the GM hasnt come under fire for trying to waive 12 million in salary of players he signed in the last two years. Its crazy.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So seems like a good idea to extend him for three years... I mean they just made the mistake with Hammond the exact same mistake lol.

I just dont know how the GM hasnt come under fire for trying to waive 12 million in salary of players he signed in the last two years. Its crazy.

At least he is trying to correct mistakes. GMs sometimes make mistakes you know. Every GM gambles and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If he did nothing about it, I would have more an issue with complacency.

Smith and Condon have not been good enough, and there are consequences to that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm not ready to write the season off yet, but he may force his way up here. Let's hope that is the case.

I don't think he can force his way up. Goalies need time, time, time...you can't rush them.

He needs at minimum this season down there and most likely next season too - he is sharing the crease down there so its not like he is getting tons of minutes anyway.

Not writing this season off but the D won't magically tighten up and putting a rookie goalie in to backstop that is a disaster waiting to happen...can't disagree more with any concept of bringing either of our young goalies up.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

He needs to play at least a couple of hundred games, on North American sized ice, before he's ready to move to the NHL.

Lehner played a season in the OHL, and about 95 games in the AHL before he became the Back up in Ottawa ....... and imo, he was rushed to a point.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He needs to play at least a couple of hundred games, on North American sized ice, before he's ready to move to the NHL.

Lehner played a season in the OHL, and about 95 games in the AHL before he became the Back up in Ottawa ....... and imo, he was rushed to a point.

To even think that the Senators should "Lazar" Gustavsson is mind boggling.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
At least he is trying to correct mistakes. GMs sometimes make mistakes you know. Every GM gambles and sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. If he did nothing about it, I would have more an issue with complacency.

Smith and Condon have not been good enough, and there are consequences to that.
Yep add in EM,s words of money in for money out ,and its not too hard to see why Ottawa is currently in the position its in

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
We better not be giving anything up to just move him...

I mean its more likely than anything else happening realistically. They cant get rid of him for free, and its all about money i wouldnt at all be surprised if a pick is attached to him to get rid of the problem.

Reactions: topshelf15

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I never said that it was ok to extend him for three years for that much money, I just said letting him walk after saving the season wasn't something they really considered. They hoped to sign him for less but we have absolutely no leverage: players know our management can't play hardball cause we have no money, a meddling owner and can't attract UFAs.

Condon's agent used all the tools available and got his client, and himself, the most money he could.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't think he can force his way up. Goalies need time, time, time...you can't rush them.

He needs at minimum this season down there and most likely next season too - he is sharing the crease down there so its not like he is getting tons of minutes anyway.

Not writing this season off but the D won't magically tighten up and putting a rookie goalie in to backstop that is a disaster waiting to happen...can't disagree more with any concept of bringing either of our young goalies up.
I don't think magic has anything to do with tightening up the D. The odds are best with young players, young pros, because they tend to listen to the coaches more. I think they can tighten up, but it will also require the forwards to forecheck a heck of a lot more.

Matt Murray came up reasonably early. It has happened before but of course, he would have to come up when the time is right. To predetermine when that would be would not take into account the development of the player as they all develop at different paces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->