Injury Report: Community Injury Thread

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Your assessment is so far off I don't know what to address first. First off who cares about prospect rankings. The only thing that really matters is how many prospects aged skaters you are adding to the big club. It doesn't matter if it is through the draft, trades, college UFA's, or any other way you add them.

Let's look at just the past 3 seasons and I bet we had one of the worst rated prospect rankings during those years also. 2019 Pens add McCann 22, Pettersson 22, and ZAR 23. In 2020 Pens add Marino 22, Jarry 24, Blueger 25, and Lafferty 24. This year 2021 Pens add Kapanen 24, POJ 21, and O'Connor 22. So when half your starting lineup are players that started on the Pens in the prospect age range you did very well in the prospect additions. I bet the Pens added much more than many of those teams ranked in front of them.

Plus we just didn't add prospect age players but also players in their primes such as Zucker, Matheson, Ceci, Jankowski, and Tanev added to the roster and all added when they were in the 26-28 age range. Pens are one of the younger teams when it comes to players surrounding the core. All the starters are in their 20's besides Sceviour and he is not even a full time starter and also only 31 and a one year rental.

Lastly all those picks and prospects you mentioned. How many of those are doing anything in the NHL? Nothing like Pettersson, Marino, POJ, Matheson, and Ceci? All young additions on the team now. How many of those picks and prospects traded are doing anything close to Kapanen, Zucker, McCann, or even ZAR? Bottom line is you can go all the way back to the start of the Crosby era and the only pick and prospect that turned out from all those trades was Barzal and he was not even on that team we traded him to. The only prospect than turned out good was Kapanen and we got him back. So two players turned out to be good NHL players while we got players like Hossa, Guerin, Kessel, Hagelin, Iginla, Zucker, Kapanen, McCann, Pettersson, Marino, POJ, and so many others with those picks and prospects that the vast majority turned out to nothing.

So go cry about our future to you mommy. Obviously we are not replacing franchise players like Crosby and Malkin even if we kept those picks. You want players like that you better tank to a top 2 pick and even then most draft years don't have a player like them. All trade picks and prospects any day for good NHL players with term and are young or in primes. Unless it is a top 2 pick you are not getting a franchise player unless you are really lucky. All take the Kapanen types all day long. Give me the sure thing.

Let's frame that in a different perspective. The average age of our top 6 forwards (including Kapanen, even though he's better suited for the 3rd line) is 29. The average age of our top 4 defensemen (accounting for the injured guys) is 28. We've got next to no young talent coming up to help replacing the aging top-end talent, and the cost to acquire that is way higher than to draft and develop yourself. I mean, look at how underwhelming Zucker is and the cost to get him was a really good prospect and a 1st. Same with Kapanen -- young 3rd line forward cost us a good prospect and a 1st (canceling out the AHL/depth guys swapped).

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
Interested to see if Dumo returns to practise sometime this week. He's been out about a month almost now. Didn't get any specifics on his injury. Does he go right back to the top pairing role or get eased back in?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Let's frame that in a different perspective. The average age of our top 6 forwards (including Kapanen, even though he's better suited for the 3rd line) is 29. The average age of our top 4 defensemen (accounting for the injured guys) is 28. We've got next to no young talent coming up to help replacing the aging top-end talent, and the cost to acquire that is way higher than to draft and develop yourself. I mean, look at how underwhelming Zucker is and the cost to get him was a really good prospect and a 1st. Same with Kapanen -- young 3rd line forward cost us a good prospect and a 1st (canceling out the AHL/depth guys swapped).

I’d love to see how underwhelming Kapanen and Zucker looked if they had a real coach.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The pens are like literally middle of the league in average age though

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Poor guy has no chance to crack this lineup unless we get injuries. With Matheson and POJ proving good we have 4 LD's in front of him when all are healthy. Nice depth piece that can play though.
Came here to check on the rii injury.

Yeah he is the guy to play when the regulars go down.
When he himself gets injured and the team is playing much better of late, he isn't going to stand much of a chance getting in there. Especially when his sidekick roo got sat for petty.
Roo is even with and or lesser than roo in sully's eyes.

Fret not roo... rii or anyone else... there will be more injuries.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Edited: Upgrading Riikola to day to day since he is practicing with the team, also upgrading McCann to day to day as he is traveling with the team although skating alone and edited to remove Trotman per Randy

PLAYERTYPE OF INJURYDURATIONSTATUSUPDATED
Juuso RiikolaUBI 1/19day to daySkating with team and regular jersey 2/22 2/22/21
Evan RodriguesLBI 1/24week to weekSolo skating 2/22, not traveling with team 2/22/21
Brian DumoulinLBI 1/26week to weekSolo skating 2/22, not traveling with team2/22/21
Jared McCannLBI 2/6day to daySolo skating 2/22, traveling with team2/22/21
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Upgrading Riikola to day to day since he is practicing with the team, also upgrading McCann to day to day as he is traveling with the team although skating alone

PLAYERTYPE OF INJURYDURATIONSTATUSUPDATED
Zach TrotmanRight Knee4-6 weeks from 1/15Recovering from surgery, was placed on season opening IR 1/121/28/21
Juuso RiikolaUBI 1/19day to daySkating with team and regular jersey 2/22 2/22/21
Evan RodriguesLBI 1/24week to weekSolo skating 2/22, not traveling with team 2/22/21
Brian DumoulinLBI 1/26week to weekSolo skating 2/22, not traveling with team2/22/21
Jared McCannLBI 2/6day to daySolo skating 2/22, traveling with team2/22/21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Trotman is no longer on IR and was sent to WBS.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Gonna need McCann soon with Zucker out. Tough to speculate but it looked like a high ankle sprain to me. Hopefully nothing torn or broken.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
Gonna need McCann soon with Zucker out. Tough to speculate but it looked like a high ankle sprain to me. Hopefully nothing torn or broken.

High ankle sprain is probably best case scenario I’m afraid it’s a torn knee. Did Letang get hurt as well??

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
High ankle sprain is probably best case scenario I’m afraid it’s a torn knee. Did Letang get hurt as well??
Agreed. He will be lucky if it's only a sprain.

Like I posted in the PGT, if it's similar to the one I did (and it looks identical), it's like real real real bad. Simply put, I tore/strained/damaged about 80% of the connective tissue on my ankle. Doc said I would have been far better off to break it. Took about a year to make an 80% recovery, I'll never have full strength or mobility in it again. Buttt... I'm old fat and lazy (as much as being in the military will allow that) so I'm sure he is far better positioned for a speedier and more effective recovery. *crosses fingers

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Multiple players were slow to get up at times last night, mostly after big hits by Wilson and Ovechkin...

Look for more of the same tomorrow night and the likelyhood that somebody else will go down with an injury...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad