Confirmed with Link: Columbus to host Detroit on 03/01/25 at Ohio Stadium in NHL Stadium Series Game

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm in Columbus because I worked for a fast casual restaurant chain that had a location across the street from campus and needed a manager there, so I got moved. My only other personal connection to the university other than dealing with the rude ass OSU alumni who can't hold their alcohol (no issue with the students, though they also couldn't hang compared to my Bobcats) is my grandfather getting his Masters there in the late 60s. I don't care about football. I have never cared about OSU. I'm very leery of the game having a full OSU theme.
You and me, squash. Charter members of the “I still hope the Ohio State thing isn’t shoved down our throats at the Stadium Series” support group.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm in Columbus because I worked for a fast casual restaurant chain that had a location across the street from campus and needed a manager there, so I got moved. My only other personal connection to the university other than dealing with the rude ass OSU alumni who can't hold their alcohol (no issue with the students, though they also couldn't hang compared to my Bobcats) is my grandfather getting his Masters there in the late 60s. I don't care about football. I have never cared about OSU. I'm very leery of the game having a full OSU theme.
My maternal grandfather (z''l) was a professor of biology and entomology there for several decades until his retirement, and in his twilight years would teach summer classes at Stone Lab in Put-in-Bay while living in campus-provided housing (we'd go up there to stay with my grandparents and enjoy vacations on the lake; it was awesome). My parents both went to school there, and that's how they met (in a computer lab in 1979, so I was clearly doomed from the start; Mom was one of the operators and Papa was a frequent user). They got married on campus at St. Stephen's, and less than a year later I was born at the Wexner Medical Center. Grandpa was a basketball fan (I suspect some of his students were on the team way back when but I was never sure), but Mom and my sister and I are all much more into Buckeye football - we don't watch together as frequently anymore but we'll still end up calling eachother to gush over some particularly awesome play now and again. Oh, and speaking of my sister, she's currently employed by them. She also went to school there, as did my brother for his undergrad (I, shamefully, went to BGSU instead).

I understand folks being a little grumpy about OSU sometimes throwing its weight around and I'm also kind of hoping this game doesn't see the Jackets completely subsumed by OSU everything (and making this an OSU-UM thing would be silly IMO; there's enough historic rivalry between Ohio and Michigan the states to play off of without that), but the institution means a whole hell of a lot to me and mine and so I would be extremely disappointed if it's not included at all. (I've been daydreaming of seeing Script Ohio On Ice before a Jackets game for years, for example.)

Reactions: DJA

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Outside of 4 1/2 years of college in another state I've lived in Central Ohio my entire life. I grew up an OSU fan. Then I became an adult and learned to think for myself and realized I have zero connection to OSU and their "die hard" fans who only care about football that also have zero connection to the school are obnxious. It's been close to 20 years since I've attended a football game there.

If people went to school there and have connections, fine. I'm proud of the school that I went to even though they don't have a BCS football team and only make the NCAA tournament when they win the conference championship.

I don't like having Ohio State fandom forced upon me just like I don't have people forcing their religion upon me.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Outside of 4 1/2 years of college in another state I've lived in Central Ohio my entire life. I grew up an OSU fan. Then I became an adult and learned to think for myself and realized I have zero connection to OSU and their "die hard" fans who only care about football that also have zero connection to the school are obnxious. It's been close to 20 years since I've attended a football game there.

If people went to school there and have connections, fine. I'm proud of the school that I went to even though they don't have a BCS football team and only make the NCAA tournament when they win the conference championship.

I don't like having Ohio State fandom forced upon me just like I don't have people forcing their religion upon me.
That's understandable, but when the event is being held in a cathedral, you have to expect that you're not going to be able to escape some of the religious practices from happening around you.

If this was being held at the crew or clippers stadium I would 100% agree.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
That's understandable, but when the event is being held in a cathedral, you have to expect that you're not going to be able to escape some of the religious practices from happening around you.

If this was being held at the crew or clippers stadium I would 100% agree.
But it is possible to hold events there without throwing the university down our throats. Motley Crue and Def Leppard had no Osu references.

I bet when Manchester City plays there this summer there won’t be any tie ins.

Reactions: Jovavic

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
But it is possible to hold events there without throwing the university down our throats. Motley Crue and Def Leppard had no Osu references.

I bet when Manchester City plays there this summer there won’t be any tie ins.
None of those are FROM Columbus. They don't have direct ties. They aren't on a coming home tour or anything of the sorts. I get not wanting it to be connected, but idk how you can expect it not to be tied when that's the main draw or they would have played in one of the other outdoor stadiums. Playing at the shoe draws the OSU fan base from across the world as well as those in central OH. Which means more viewers and more money for the NHL, CBJ and OSU.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
None of those are FROM Columbus. They don't have direct ties. They aren't on a coming home tour or anything of the sorts. I get not wanting it to be connected, but idk how you can expect it not to be tied when that's the main draw or they would have played in one of the other outdoor stadiums. Playing at the shoe draws the OSU fan base from across the world as well as those in central OH. Which means more viewers and more money for the NHL, CBJ and OSU.
It's a cop out.

How much of the 2014 Winter Classic pandered to the University of Michigan?

How much of the 2019 Winter Classic pandered to Notre Dame?

A couple of small mentions, fine. The event itself should not revolve around it.

The way people talk on here they make it sound like they want a big OSU extravaganza where Woody Hayes is raised from the dead to drop the puck and the marching band perform during intermission. They probably want scarlet and gray stadium series jerseys too.

The stadium is a facility to hold an event and the event itself should be the draw. if people want to pander to the university, they get several opportunities to do so in the fall. This isn't about OSU, it's about the NHL and the CBJ.

However I completely wouldn't be shocked if the league and the team whore themselves out for dollars to continue being the university's red headed step child. It's going to be cringeworthy enough when people do that damned O H I O chant around the stadium during the game.

Reactions: Jovavic

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's a cop out.

How much of the 2014 Winter Classic pandered to the University of Michigan?

How much of the 2019 Winter Classic pandered to Notre Dame?

A couple of small mentions, fine. The event itself should not revolve around it.

The way people talk on here they make it sound like they want a big OSU extravaganza where Woody Hayes is raised from the dead to drop the puck and the marching band perform during intermission. They probably want scarlet and gray stadium series jerseys too.
Oh for f***'s sake. Spare us the hyperbolic bullshit. This is not only incorrect, it's downright insulting. There's only one poster who's saying anything even remotely in that neighborhood - DSL - and he's being deliberately sarcastic. Those of us who care about the institution just would appreciate a nod or two beyond "oh yeah and it's their stadium". It's local color, that's all - like having country music playing in Nashville.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Oh for f***'s sake. Spare us the hyperbolic bullshit. This is not only incorrect, it's downright insulting. There's only one poster who's saying anything even remotely in that neighborhood - DSL - and he's being deliberately sarcastic. Those of us who care about the institution just would appreciate a nod or two beyond "oh yeah and it's their stadium". It's local color, that's all - like having country music playing in Nashville.
Make no mistake, when O-H-I-O goes around the stadium I will despise it.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ok,so you care about the school and I don't and we'll leave it at that. There is more than a significant hint of sarcasm in my post as well but sometimes scarlet colored lenses cloud the view.

For the record, I have no problem with the academics at the school. They employ fine people and people get a solid education there. I think Michigan is actually a better academic school but I digress.

I will support the OSU hockey team and other smaller sports but it doesn't change my feelings that the football team epitomizes everything I hate about college athletics. it's all a money grab. it's not about educating people. it's about wins and losses. Programs like OSU used to be away for someone to get into college and get to use sports to avoid hefty student loans where they were done finding their career path. Maybe if they were lucky they could turn that into a professional career for a few years. In smaller programs this is still the case. Mega college sports programs have ruined college athletics for me because the spirit is gone.

You can be offended if you choose since you seem to get defensive when anyone says anything negative about the school. But respect that people have their reasons to not like the school that is so precious to you. Your experience is clearly different than mine.

That being said, I don't want our legitimate professional sports teams in town overshadowed by the school.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ok,so you care about the school and I don't and we'll leave it at that. There is more than a significant hint of sarcasm in my post as well but sometimes scarlet colored lenses cloud the view.

For the record, I have no problem with the academics at the school. They employ fine people and people get a solid education there. I think Michigan is actually a better academic school but I digress.

I will support the OSU hockey team and other smaller sports but it doesn't change my feelings that the football team epitomizes everything I hate about college athletics. it's all a money grab. it's not about educating people. it's about wins and losses. Programs like OSU used to be away for someone to get into college and get to use sports to avoid hefty student loans where they were done finding their career path. Maybe if they were lucky they could turn that into a professional career for a few years. In smaller programs this is still the case. Mega college sports programs have ruined college athletics for me because the spirit is gone.

You can be offended if you choose since you seem to get defensive when anyone says anything negative about the school. But respect that people have their reasons to not like the school that is so precious to you. Your experience is clearly different than mine.

That being said, I don't want our legitimate professional sports teams in town overshadowed by the school.
Again, I can understand folks being cynical and bitter about OSU football and to a lesser extent basketball. I don't hang out around most other Buckeyes fans because I find so many of them to be absolutely insufferable (it's why I have a lot of sympathy towards non-douchebag Leafs fans here, in fact). But it's still a major part of this community, and I get defensive about it for the same reason I get defensive about anyone being dismissive or disrespectful of Columbus. They're kind of inseparable in my book. (By the same token, I get really annoyed with the Buckeye fetishists who seem to think that Columbus is defined soley by OSU - no, f*** right off with that bullshit. One does not define the other, in either direction.)

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Back in the day there was a proposal to build a Serpent Mound replica over the Broad Street bridge downtown. The idea was when the Goodyear blimp was in Columbus for an OSU football game it would be an awesome thing for the blimp to show to promote Columbus, apart from OSU.

It never happened, but it would have been incredible. And then the Jackets could have incorporated a Serpent Mound theme into the jerseys for the outdoor game.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Back in the day there was a proposal to build a Serpent Mound replica over the Broad Street bridge downtown. The idea was when the Goodyear blimp was in Columbus for an OSU football game it would be an awesome thing for the blimp to show to promote Columbus, apart from OSU.

It never happened, but it would have been incredible. And then the Jackets could have incorporated a Serpent Mound theme into the jerseys for the outdoor game.

There was also talk of making it a walkway and that would have been awesome!

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
One major reason I became a hockey fan as a Cleveland transplant was in response to the rabid OSU crowd here in Cbus. Growing up with professional sports left me dumbfounded why so many locals who have zero personal affiliation with the university (not alumni, no kids attending, not employed by, etc) devote their passion, wardrobe, and income to a college team. I’ve been here over 30 years and still don’t get it.
Count me in the camp of hoping for very few OSU references in the outdoor game.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
One major reason I became a hockey fan as a Cleveland transplant was in response to the rabid OSU crowd here in Cbus. Growing up with professional sports left me dumbfounded why so many locals who have zero personal affiliation with the university (not alumni, no kids attending, not employed by, etc) devote their passion, wardrobe, and income to a college team. I’ve been here over 30 years and still don’t get it.

I went to OSU, off and on, for eight years, graduated, and lived in the campus area for decades. I’m a fan. I want the outdoor game to reflect Columbus and the CBJ. The University is certainly a big part of the growing national image of central Ohio, but this game is a chance to highlight the major league status of a great city and its NHL franchise. OSU needs to stay in the background.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Thinking of non OSU things in Columbus.

Maybe we need some tribute to AmeriFlora. Anyone else remember AmeriFlora?

The butter cow? We love the butter cow.

The NFL was founded here, but I guess that is kind of like OSU.

Something about Wendy’s hamburgers? Maybe Wendy could drop a ceremonial puck.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Thinking of non OSU things in Columbus.

Maybe we need some tribute to AmeriFlora. Anyone else remember AmeriFlora?

The butter cow? We love the butter cow.

The NFL was founded here, but I guess that is kind of like OSU.

Something about Wendy’s hamburgers? Maybe Wendy could drop a ceremonial puck.
Cornhenge. You absolutely have to reference Cornhenge.

• Haha
Reactions: koteka and Derby

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Absolutely no different than someone buying Browns or Indians-oh excuse me, Guardians-gear/tickets/etc..

I'm not a college football fan nor an OSU fan, but I've been to a few OSU football games and the passion/experience at one of those beats the hell out of a Tuesday night CBJ game vs. Calgary or most any Cincinnati Reds game. Sports provide "juice" to the fans whether they be professional or college. They're all entertainment products at the end of the day.

That being said, the hockey game shouldn't be overshadowed in any way by OSU. But Mike Todd should be the emcee;)

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Absolutely no different than someone buying Browns or Indians-oh excuse me, Guardians-gear/tickets/etc..

I'm not a college football fan nor an OSU fan, but I've been to a few OSU football games and the passion/experience at one of those beats the hell out of a Tuesday night CBJ game vs. Calgary or most any Cincinnati Reds game. Sports provide "juice" to the fans whether they be professional or college. They're all entertainment products at the end of the day.

That being said, the hockey game shouldn't be overshadowed in any way by OSU. But Mike Todd should be the emcee;)
I know CR is being sarcastic…. But poke my eyes out and plug my ears…
Better to hear “Hang On Sloopy” the entire game. 😣

And while I am huge OSU fan, I am sarcastic above too. The constant visual of and reference to the Shoe will be enough OSU for the Stafium Series Game. It should be the Union Blue soldier montage of several years ago, along with the cannon, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00