Confirmed with Link: Columbus to host Detroit on 03/01/25 at Ohio Stadium in NHL Stadium Series Game

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Growing up with professional sports left me dumbfounded why so many locals who have zero personal affiliation with the university (not alumni, no kids attending, not employed by, etc) devote their passion, wardrobe, and income to a college team. I’ve been here over 30 years and still don’t get it.
My late uncle (an OSU pharmacy school grad) used to refer to these people as the “Walmart alumni “ 😂

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Real thing... Am I safe going to the game with Wings gear on?
I’m sure you’ll get some shit (as in banter) but as long as you’re not antagonizing you should be fine.

CBJ fans aren’t as combative about the team as OSU fans are.

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I’m sure you’ll get some shit (as in banter) but as long as you’re not antagonizing you should be fine.

Challenge: impossible for a lot of Wings fans at Jackets games, unfortunately. There were multiple fights last time they were here.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Only because they haven't had sustained success. Give the CBJ a decade of deep playoff runs and we won't be much better.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Only because they haven't had sustained success. Give the CBJ a decade of deep playoff runs and we won't be much better.
Oh I know, and I agree. But we’re not there yet. Some of the Pens games get nasty. Even when we’re terrible.

Reactions: CBJx614

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I think Canton may dispute that. The league was renamed when it was headquartered in Columbus, but was founded a couple years earlier in Canton.

OK, instead of talking about the semantics of the meetings around the formation of a professional football league, let’s talk actual football — how is this?

The Columbus Panhandles, a team which by the way was founded before the Canton Bulldogs, played in the first NFL game.

Reactions: Jovavic

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Cornhenge. You absolutely have to reference Cornhenge.

Cornhenge is one of the greatest things about Columbus, but it was designed by an OSU professor.

For our Finnish and other non central Ohio CBJ fans, may I present Cornhenge:

How about 15 minutes before the game everyone has to eat a Thurmanator?

Reactions: Viqsi

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
OK, instead of talking about the semantics of the meetings around the formation of a professional football league, let’s talk actual football — how is this?

The Columbus Panhandles, a team which by the way was founded before the Canton Bulldogs, played in the first NFL game.
Fine. Playing the first game after a league was renamed, and founding the league, is two different things. The NFL was founded in Canton. Columbus played the first game of the season after the league was renamed, two seasons later.

If you really want to get into semantics, the first NFL game was played in Dayton. So I guess Dayton too, can say it was in Dayton where the league actually began.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Fine. Playing the first game after a league was renamed, and founding the league, is two different things. The NFL was founded in Canton. Columbus played the first game of the season after the league was renamed, two seasons later.

If you really want to get into semantics, the first NFL game was played in Dayton. So I guess Dayton too, can say it was in Dayton where the league actually began.

The whole exercise is looking for non-OSU Columbus things to celebrate. Like being the setting for Family Ties. Or our really cool topiary park based on a Seurat painting.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
The whole exercise is looking for non-OSU Columbus things to celebrate. Like being the setting for Family Ties. Or our really cool topiary park based on a Seurat painting.

Yeah, I get it. If you are really looking for something to celebrate, they should just celebrate the history of hockey in Columbus. Celebrate the local hockey leagues, after all, it is a hockey game. Trying to add all this other stuff, to me, takes away from it.

I am glad Columbus finally got their game and hope it goes well. Hopefully next year's Jackets get better and the game actually means something, and it isn't just another game to run out the string.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Celebrate the local hockey leagues, after all, it is a hockey game. Trying to add all this other stuff, to me, takes away from it.

I know of a couple of teams already planning to go as groups. And that is before the CBJ have even reached out. The CBJ does do a lot for local hockey so I fully expect them to have something for teams to go together. But it would be cool for them to bring out Michael J Fox, Justine Bateman, and Tina Yothers.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I know of a couple of teams already planning to go as groups. And that is before the CBJ have even reached out. The CBJ does do a lot for local hockey so I fully expect them to have something for teams to go together. But it would be cool for them to bring out Michael J Fox, Justine Bateman, and Tina Yothers.
Good those teams are planning to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad