Friedman: Columbus shopping Domi

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think one thing worth noting, well, maybe a couple things, is that his adjustment to Columbus and Torts was extremely difficult on a short year, short camp, new system, new players he couldn’t associate with and develop a bond and a pandemic that likely impacted him mentally (diabetic). By the end of the year he was creative, moved back to center (still bounced around) and Columbus was a train wreck. I’m bummed he doesn’t get a camp to adjust and see if he fits. I do think he’s moved before the deadline but not until he shows where he’s at on the ice. At least he can commingle, for now?, with his teammates and maybe that helps.

All is not lost yet for him but he doesn’t appear to be a long term fit regardless given the wing depth now and coming and the future center depth. I assume he’ll want a multi year deal after this season either way.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
So $10m x 8 years full NMC then?

[...]

Leafs sign him to $10m x 8 full NMC and win cup!

/s

[...]
Domi to the Leafs for a 2nd and prospect. Then resign him to $8m x 8 NMC.

I agree he's $6m max, but you have to add the Leafs Dubas negotiation tax on top. So $8m.

It's like an attention starved kid that keeps making the same joke over and over just because it got a bit of a laugh the first time.

Only one current leaf has an NMC, by the way. Just thought I'd point that out.

Reactions: axlrose87

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
It's like an attention starved kid that keeps making the same joke over and over just because it got a bit of a laugh the first time.

Only one current leaf has an NMC, by the way. Just thought I'd point that out.

At least I'm consistent =)

Look, it's not my job or your job to remember what anyone posts on the forum, the website's server does that.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I like his game, but it’d be tough for Toronto to trade for him cap-wise.

Kerfoot + Engvall + solid prospect
for
Domi with minor retention (~$1 mil retained? Whatever we’d need to make the cap work)

The question would be which solid prospect. Liljegren? That might be a bit too much for 1 year of Domi, though.

Hell we ain’t giving up Liljegren for Domi. Can’t stick in Zona, can’t stick in MTL, his one year with the CBJ was pretty much a disaster and you want To give up Kerfoot who by all accounts been mainly his equal with the exception of the breakout year Domi had.

It’s a wash and they eat in Domi if they want the control of Kerfoot.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
I'm going to assume you just stopped reading at "An RD" and missed the "who can play a "mentor" role" part entirely. Because no part of "mentor role" sounds anything like "reclamation project".

* * *​

New rule of thumb: The answer to every proposal involving a Strome to Columbus is "no".

The truth is obviously slightly more nuanced than that, but for 99.9% of expected cases (including this one) it'll suffice. If necessary I can elaborate as to why for the eleventy billionth time, but we've gone over it so often I'm kind of out of patience with doing it with every refusal.
I was just saying what I would give for him. Didnt propose a trade and dont follow you to see what you think on the issue. Relax

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Domi for E. Kane?

Domi to Toronto please!
I can definitely see Domi going to Toronto in 2022 on a one year deal.
He will be fully recovered and back into hockey shape. he will have something to prove and will want to improve his stock.
The leafs should have the opportunity for him at left wing.
His family name has a very happy history there.
It all makes sense…. For 2022.
There is no way anyone is trading anything for him right now. Even at half salary retained.
He needs to get back on the ice in December and get back into the swing of things. If he looks good, Columbus can move him at the deadline.
Shoulder surgery is a tough one. It will take time.

Reactions: Tarmore

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That can't be right. I am by no means a fan of Kyle Dubas, but I don't believe for a second he would turn down Kerfoot for Savard.

I don't remember who reported it because it was over a year ago but it was reported that Dubas turned it down because Columbus wanted to do it 1 for 1 and Dubas wanted another asset because Savard was in the last year of his dwal at the time while Kerfoot had term.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Not sure he has much value around the league right now given the fact he was exposed and undrafted at the expansion draft.

I think CBJ is better off having him play this season and trade him at TDL.

That being said I d take him back in MTL for a low price right now.

Reactions: Monk
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
They said not a Blue Jacket previously though.
He's not a Blue Jacket. There is no question in my mind she means Wennberg.

A lot of Jackets fans think he's an ok player, solid defensively, weak offensively for his skill set.

Wennberg's hesitancy to shoot got to a point where defenders would only play the pass when he had the puck on his stick. The Columbus staff tried for years to get him to pull the trigger on his shot.

A number of Blue Jackets fans hold him up to ridicule. Some call him Wenny the Pooh.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
For Domi??? Again, he isn't playing most of the year, his previous year was horrible, pending UFA.

How could he be worth a 1st?

He's probably worth a second. If you want $3 million in retention or to send salary back, it'll cost you.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If true, which I doubt it is not since he was left exposed in the ED, he sure seems to not be able to stick with a team for long...would be his 4th NHL team already.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I can definitely see Domi going to Toronto in 2022 on a one year deal.
He will be fully recovered and back into hockey shape. he will have something to prove and will want to improve his stock.
The leafs should have the opportunity for him at left wing.
His family name has a very happy history there.
It all makes sense…. For 2022.
There is no way anyone is trading anything for him right now. Even at half salary retained.
He needs to get back on the ice in December and get back into the swing of things. If he looks good, Columbus can move him at the deadline.
Shoulder surgery is a tough one. It will take time.

The only problem with that is Domi wants to play center, not wing. That would especially be the case if he was signed to a one year contract and was therefore playing for a new long term deal. He whined when the Habs wanted to move him to the wing. It's one of the main reasons he ended up traded to Columbus.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He's not a Blue Jacket. There is no question in my mind she means Wennberg.

A lot of Jackets fans think he's an ok player, solid defensively, weak offensively for his skill set.

Wennberg's hesitancy to shoot got to a point where defenders would only play the pass when he had the puck on his stick. The Columbus staff tried for years to get him to pull the trigger on his shot.

A number of Blue Jackets fans hold him up to ridicule. Some call him Wenny the Pooh.
No, I was (sardonically) referring to Horvat and Lindholm.

Wennberg would have also been welcome, though.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I don't remember who reported it because it was over a year ago but it was reported that Dubas turned it down because Columbus wanted to do it 1 for 1 and Dubas wanted another asset because Savard was in the last year of his dwal at the time while Kerfoot had term.

I think that was a big mistake by Dubas. Last years Leafs with Kerfoot removed and Savard added are a better team IMO.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
He seems like he could be a replacement for Krejci at least in the short term. They have some good physical wingers he could gel with.

He also seems like a natural fit for their culture.

Reactions: AzHawk
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
No, I was (sardonically) referring to Horvat and Lindholm.

Wennberg would have also been welcome, though.
Sorry

I would be happy to have Wennberg in Columbus. I never wanted then to get rid of him. I understand why they bought him out, but I think he's a useful center, possible an ideal #3 with a lot of upside.

I'd be happier to have Horvat, but that's not going to happen.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad