Friedman: Columbus shopping Domi

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think that was a big mistake by Dubas. Last years Leafs with Kerfoot removed and Savard added are a better team IMO.

I kind of get why you wouldn't want to trade a good forward under team control for a D man entering the final year of his deal

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I kind of get why you wouldn't want to trade a good forward under team control for a D man entering the final year of his deal

You have a higher opinion of Kerfoot than I do. It's not so much a dislike for Kerfoot, I just sort of peg him as $2.5 million player and the Leafs, due to their salary structure, don't have the luxury of overpaying for a player like him.

I think Savard would have improved the Leafs and made them a better team than with Kerfoot in the lineup.

That being said, Savard had a bigger cap hit than Kerfoot so perhaps the real reason the trade hit a snag was because there was an expectation for Columbus to even out the dollars.

It's odd, though, that Columbus would have even entertained the deal. Last off-season the Jackets had Dubois/Domi/Koivu/Nash up the middle. Wouldn't Kerfoot be rather redundant with Mikko Koivu there? To give up a key defensemen to *not* fill a void seems odd.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You have a higher opinion of Kerfoot than I do. It's not so much a dislike for Kerfoot, I just sort of peg him as $2.5 million player and the Leafs, due to their salary structure, don't have the luxury of overpaying for a player like him.

I think Savard would have improved the Leafs and made them a better team than with Kerfoot in the lineup.

That being said, Savard had a bigger cap hit than Kerfoot so perhaps the real reason the trade hit a snag was because there was an expectation for Columbus to even out the dollars.

It's odd, though, that Columbus would have even entertained the deal. Last off-season the Jackets had Dubois/Domi/Koivu/Nash up the middle. Wouldn't Kerfoot be rather redundant with Mikko Koivu there? To give up a key defensemen to *not* fill a void seems odd.

He can LW too, so maybe that's where he would have been used

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He seems like he could be a replacement for Krejci at least in the short term. They have some good physical wingers he could gel with.

He also seems like a natural fit for their culture.

Absolutely not.

Would 100% hate it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He seems like he could be a replacement for Krejci at least in the short term. They have some good physical wingers he could gel with.

He also seems like a natural fit for their culture.
I don't think Domi fits the B's mold at all, and would be a bad fit for their culture. The only hope might be that Marchand can recognize a kindred spirit, and get him being productive. Domi is about as far from Krecji as you can get.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
So, October doesn't exist in your world? :laugh: 5-6 months means he could be ready in early November.....
You also don't count June since thats the surgery date. Six months from June is December whether all the months are written down or not.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On his 31 thoughts podcast Friedman reports Columbus doesn't see Domi as a fit in the organisation and has begun shopping him

If he's moved where is the best fit for him?

Columbus has tried in the past to acquire Kerfoot, namely last off season when the report came out of a potential Kerfoot/Savard deal turned down by Dubas.

Could something around Domi and Kerfoot be a fit?
He’s available every summer. Leafs have enough issues without adding another to the room.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He’s available every summer. Leafs have enough issues without adding another to the room.
This is just asking for Tie meeting weekly with Tannenbaum to air grievances. And, Tie was friendly with Larry at one point (Hence Larry going over management to extend Tie once).

Reactions: ACC1224

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
You also don't count June since thats the surgery date. Six months from June is December whether all the months are written down or not.
But you did count June if you are indicating December is 6 months. That's correct and it would be early December(12/4) if we're being literal with the 6 month cutoff based on the surgery date of June 4th. So ultimately somewhere between the beginning of November and the beginning of December is when Domi would be likely to return. For the CBJ, that's roughly between 9 games and 21 games missed, which is about 1/4 the season (not half, not most but a quarter).

This isn't all directed at you, just used your post to get the time lines in place so we can clear the missed portion of the season. That would be enough time to demonstrate value or bust prior to the deadline and set his trade rate. Either way, it seems unlikely he's a long term fit in Columbus but there is still time to see exactly how/where he fits in a Brad Larsen system and then the CBJ can make a decision on how to approach his future.

If he comes back an plays like he did his last half of the season I think he'll provide a good return to Columbus. He was much better and that was in a messed up year under a Torts system with no training camp or bonding. Certainly an interesting case.

Reactions: teddygmr and Viqsi

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Kerfoot is nothing special. Good is stretching it. He is overpaid by 1-1.5 million which hurts in the flat cap.
The cap is no longer flat and has been reported as raising once again. He also had 6 points in 7 playoff games on a team that was struggling offensively during the playoffs. I’d rather not move him for no reason. In case you missed it, a lot of guys seem to be getting paid again this off season as well. I think him being overpaid is overblown. Yes, it would be nice to get him for less but it’s nothing terrible.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Then I think the best time to deal him is before training camp.

A team that would want him this year would love his LITR space.

Domi to the Leafs for a 2nd and prospect. Then resign him to $8m x 8 NMC.
Why would a team want his LTIR contract? It doesn't open up any space unless a contract of with a similar hit is removed from the leafs.
Trading for his contract counts against the cap which would put them over by the cost of his contract, once they LTIR him they go back to the exact same cap space they started with, then once he's healthy they have to move another contract of equal cap in order to activate him and fit his cap hit.
The only benefit of getting an LTIR contract is if you have a player already on LTIR but your not at at the max cap since LTIR only applies if you need the full LTIR to get cap compliant. By adding another contract that pushes you over you can then spend to the cap but you don't actually get any extra cap.
81.5 is all you can have in your lineup except the playoffs.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I feel like his playing style and skillset just don't lend themselves to being an effective center at this level. I always thought he had the perfect skillset to be a Marchand-lite winger type, but Domi doesn't seem interested in wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad