Friedman: Columbus shopping Domi

Apr 9, 2009
USA
June, July, August, September, November, December.

6 months. No training camp, shoulder tear means no contact in rehab, hand eye coordination, pass and shot strength and accuracy needs to all be tuned.

Taking the entire January to be back ready, and he still wouldn't have game speed.

Sure, if he heals like an old man, you're correct. Assuming he won't have the worst case scenario healing, he'll be back well before January... and that's still not most of the season. I don't disagree with you that he's not worth a first, but debate in good faith.

Reactions: teddygmr

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Wonder if there's some Brandon Pridham play here at all? I'm not smart enough to know myself how it would work.

But if the Leafs are able to LTIR him for a good portion of the year - remain competitive and insert him into the lineup at the right time.... it would be quite the deadline option. (Likely cheap and high potential to extend)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was going to chime in last night and ask the same, I could see Domi thriving in Colorado. But that was mainly based around the idea that Colorado were going to move on from Kadri this summer.

Same amount of contract left, younger player, similar production before last year, and he gives them an hardworking, physical 2C presence without the suspension risk.

That doesn't sound like Domi.

He's a highly-skilled soft playmaker that occasionally attacks players after the whistle.

Pens trade Pettersson and Reese for him as he gives the Pens a look although an expensive look for one year. BJ's take on Petts contract after this year but at 4 million for 3 years is not the worst contract for a potential 2nd pairing for them. If he stinks, you only have one year in him. But he has skill and grit which is worth a look. Not the deal I want for Petts but I would be open to this.

I don't see Columbus taking on any more LD contracts. If Marino was on the block that would be a fit.

Reactions: AzHawk and JAK

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Sure, if he heals like an old man, you're correct. Assuming he won't have the worst case scenario healing, he'll be back well before January... and that's still not most of the season. I don't disagree with you that he's not worth a first, but debate in good faith.

It all depends if CBJ resigns him. As a pending UFA, his agent should advise him to take as long as he needs to be 100%.

This type of injury is suspectable to reinjure if it isn't 100% healed, and especially hockey is a full contact sport.

If I was his agent, I would tell him that. Go easy, make sure you recover to 110%. Throw away this year, sign in UFA for 1 year low cap with a contender, chase a cup, perform well, and then next UFA season he would be 28 UFA.

Can still sign a large retirement deal, probably with the Leafs.

Rushing back would only benefit CBJ, and if CBJ wants that benefit, they better have an extension ready to offer first

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It all depends if CBJ resigns him. As a pending UFA, his agent should advise him to take as long as he needs to be 100%.

This type of injury is suspectable to reinjure if it isn't 100% healed, and especially hockey is a full contact sport.

If I was his agent, I would tell him that. Go easy, make sure you recover to 110%. Throw away this year, sign in UFA for 1 year low cap with a contender, chase a cup, perform well, and then next UFA season he would be 28 UFA.

Can still sign a large retirement deal, probably with the Leafs.

Rushing back would only benefit CBJ, and if CBJ wants that benefit, they better have an extension ready to offer first

The Jackets don't want to extend Domi, he's similar to Roslovic and they don't need two offense-first top six centers. Nor do they particularly care about winning this year and squeezing immediate benefit out of Domi.

The important questions in Columbus regarding Domi are more about when they can get the best returns for him, and whether it's worth keeping him on the roster in the meantime while they wait until that best return.

Reactions: Viqsi

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
The Jackets don't want to extend Domi, he's similar to Roslovic and they don't need two offense-first top six centers. Nor do they particularly care about winning this year and squeezing immediate benefit out of Domi.

The important questions in Columbus regarding Domi are more about when they can get the best returns for him, and whether it's worth keeping him on the roster in the meantime while they wait until that best return.

Then I think the best time to deal him is before training camp.

A team that would want him this year would love his LITR space.

Domi to the Leafs for a 2nd and prospect. Then resign him to $8m x 8 NMC.

mac nylander

May 23, 2021
New York, NY
That could be said a about a lot of players...except Victor Rask.

Domi certainly has a very low value right now on the trade market.

Who has he played with on ARZ/MTL/CLB that he was able to put up 0.64 ppg since he entered the league?
It's obvious the skill set is there, and playing alongside a great top line I could see him being a 70pt winger (which he's already achieved)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Then resign him to $8m x 8 NMC.

I have to assume this part is a joke.

Domi is usually worth maybe $5m or $6m, but he's got a very inconsistent track record, I don't see anyone giving him a super long term deal at that price. Maybe to the Leafs for like $5m x 4.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I have to assume this part is a joke.

Domi is usually worth maybe $5m or $6m, but he's got a very inconsistent track record, I don't see anyone giving him a super long term deal at that price. Maybe to the Leafs for like $5m x 4.

I agree he's $6m max, but you have to add the Leafs Dubas negotiation tax on top. So $8m.

Reactions: majormajor

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
June, July, August, September, November, December.

6 months. No training camp, shoulder tear means no contact in rehab, hand eye coordination, pass and shot strength and accuracy needs to all be tuned.

Taking the entire January to be back ready, and he still wouldn't have game speed.

So, October doesn't exist in your world? :laugh: 5-6 months means he could be ready in early November.....

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
So, October doesn't exist in your world? :laugh: 5-6 months means he could be ready in early November.....

October doesn't exist, neither does Finland.

My bad. But still, his agent should be advising him to take as long as he needs.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
My Petts trade was just to players that are better served traded. Didn't love the deal but if he can return to form, he does bring needed depth and grit to the Pens. BJ can move Petts as part of the deal if need be. GMJR really like Domi and was asking for him in the Kessel deal. He is gone but the Pens did like him.

boompuffboom

Jul 10, 2007
this guy's time is running out FAST.

He needs to drop the diva bullshit, and be a hockey player.

It's not all about you Max. You want this bad enough? Or dyou just want to be remembered as a floater with a laughable attitude?

WORK. GET. TO. WORK.

Reactions: bukwas and AzHawk

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
And remember back to his junior days. They had a deal with London but Kingston drafted him and he would not report

Reactions: AzHawk

Bretzkey

Feb 22, 2019
Oilers should be on this!! We need sum grit! Trade turris and a pick/prospect Let’s go!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Drafted in first round. Never been a CBJ. Plays C.

MacKinnon and Barkov?
That would cause burning at the stake, but I wasn't aiming quite that ludicrously high. ;)

* * *​
Compher + 4-7th rounder for Domi (50%). That’s the most id pay.
Nope.

* * *​
A center from that draft round with somewhat less production and better defense - Alex Wennberg?

I'm stumped.
"Not a prior Blue Jacket". Altho I wouldn't have minded bringing back Wennberg either.

* * *​
The only players they could be talking about are Lindholm and Horvat even though both were more productive last season their career averages are similar. They would be flamed for that. Could also be Monahan but he isn't exactly know for defense.
Congratulations on your successful - and correct - deduction. ;)

It was originally just Horvat, but I realized Lindholm technically qualified as well. Of course, neither of those have any realistic chance of happening. It just happened to stem from noticing how close their career averages are, and it subsequently struck me as unusual just how significantly Domi's contributions were seemingly undervalued by comparison.

Of course, actually suggesting those names would be less proposal discussion and more blatant trolling, because there's just a teensy bit more nuance involved.

Reactions: JAK

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
That would cause burning at the stake, but I wasn't aiming quite that ludicrously high. ;)

* * *​

Nope.

* * *​

"Not a prior Blue Jacket". Altho I wouldn't have minded bringing back Wennberg either.

* * *​

Congratulations on your successful - and correct - deduction. ;)

It was originally just Horvat, but I realized Lindholm technically qualified as well. Of course, neither of those have any realistic chance of happening. It just happened to stem from noticing how close their career averages are, and it subsequently struck me as unusual just how significantly Domi's contributions were seemingly undervalued by comparison.

Of course, actually suggesting those names would be less proposal discussion and more blatant trolling, because there's just a teensy bit more nuance involved.

I guessed Horvat too!

It was just the most logical choice for CBJ.

Bond

May 10, 2012
As a Flames there isn't anything reasonable that the Jackets could add to Domi that would make that trade interesting.
Domi is in the Monahan tier right now but doesn't have an extra contract year to bounce back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad