Friedman: Columbus shopping Domi

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wonder if there's a way for Colorado to trade for and extract some value out of Domi.

If there's a team's playstyle that could maximize his talent, and have the depth to insulate him, it's definitely Colorado.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I wonder if there's a way for Colorado to trade for and extract some value out of Domi.

If there's a team's playstyle that could maximize his talent, and have the depth to insulate him, it's definitely Colorado.

Compher + 4-7th rounder for Domi (50%). That’s the most id pay.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He has all the tools and flash, for whatever reason, it just doesn't work consistently. I wouldn't even call him lazy on the ice. It's like, he gets 90% there on a play, and then the last 10% just goes no where.

Reminds me a lot of Marcus Johansson. Good skating, speed, good hands, effort looks to be there, but nothing happens in the end.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Could be a great buy low option. Domi has an immense skill level, just not quite high enough to compensate for his poor defensive game and chemistry issues he seems to bring. I'd give another shot at him in Montreal but that ship has probably sailed, especially as we already signed a similar profile player in Hoffman. But with one year left on Domi's deal, some team with an open top six spot could get solid value acquiring him (Sharks, Ducks maybe?)

Bond

May 10, 2012
And while I'm here, I admit that there's a part of me that badly wants to suggest that we might consider trading him (plus some add) for a C with similar (possibly slightly reduced) production and of similar age but who's better defensively. Mostly because I know of one excellent candidate who fits that very well, but if I mention his name I'd get burned at the stake.
People won't be too mad you'd want Curtis Lazar in return...

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is Domi 36 yet and willing to play for League Min? If not, the Leafs won’t be able to get him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

I was going to chime in last night and ask the same, I could see Domi thriving in Colorado. But that was mainly based around the idea that Colorado were going to move on from Kadri this summer.

Same amount of contract left, younger player, similar production before last year, and he gives them an hardworking, physical 2C presence without the suspension risk.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
url
url

Attachments

• 1_bXVIE0aKKVFvQeiL374k6Q.jpeg
    1_bXVIE0aKKVFvQeiL374k6Q.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 6

Bond

May 10, 2012
A center from that draft round with somewhat less production and better defense - Alex Wennberg?

I'm stumped.
The only players they could be talking about are Lindholm and Horvat even though both were more productive last season their career averages are similar. They would be flamed for that. Could also be Monahan but he isn't exactly know for defense.

Reactions: Viqsi

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I was going to chime in last night and ask the same, I could see Domi thriving in Colorado. But that was mainly based around the idea that Colorado were going to move on from Kadri this summer.

Same amount of contract left, younger player, similar production before last year, and he gives them an hardworking, physical 2C presence without the suspension risk.

At 50% salary retention, the Avs would just have to do some deck shuffling to fit him in. They have the playstyle to maximize Domi's strengths (rush offense and playmaking) and the depth to insulate from difficult matchups.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Domi - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Jost - Compher
Helm - Maltsev - O'Connor
Newhook (slot in as needed)

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Columbus just wants a 2nd round pick and minimal retention. No salary coming back. If the Canucks want 50% retention, up your cost to a 1st.

For Domi??? Again, he isn't playing most of the year, his previous year was horrible, pending UFA.

How could he be worth a 1st?

And while I'm here, I admit that there's a part of me that badly wants to suggest that we might consider trading him (plus some add) for a C with similar (possibly slightly reduced) production and of similar age but who's better defensively. Mostly because I know of one excellent candidate who fits that very well, but if I mention his name I'd get burned at the stake.

But we just signed Dickinson, and surely you don't mean Horvat, cause, yes, Domi for Horvat would have some burning to do.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The only players they could be talking about are Lindholm and Horvat even though both were more productive last season their career averages are similar. They would be flamed for that. Could also be Monahan but he isn't exactly know for defense.
It's Wennberg. Half the of CBJ fans hated Wennberg and thought he should be in a Euro league by now while the other half insisted he was string defensively, a disappointment offensively, yet still useful in the league... Albeit overpaid.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens trade Pettersson and Reese for him as he gives the Pens a look although an expensive look for one year. BJ's take on Petts contract after this year but at 4 million for 3 years is not the worst contract for a potential 2nd pairing for them. If he stinks, you only have one year in him. But he has skill and grit which is worth a look. Not the deal I want for Petts but I would be open to this.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
We don't have much reason to sell low on the guy. This doesn't seem to be a "he must go now" situation, so if futures are going to be the focus, a quantity trade won't work.

Of course, "a quantity trade won't work" is generally applicable to just about anything and everything Kekalainen does.

Only if CBJ can extend him. If you can't, I think it's better for CBJ to ship him out before training camp.

Bond

May 10, 2012
It's Wennberg. Half the of CBJ fans hated Wennberg and thought he should be in a Euro league by now while the other half insisted he was string defensively, a disappointment offensively, yet still useful in the league... Albeit overpaid.
They said not a Blue Jacket previously though.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Domi's biggest issue is between his ears...kid's got the talent & drive, but for some reason his Old Man's temperament always comes out in the end...

Apr 9, 2009
USA
For Domi??? Again, he isn't playing most of the year, his previous year was horrible, pending UFA.

How could he be worth a 1st?

He isn't missing most of the year. What are you talking about? He's out for a month or so at the beginning of the season. He had surgery in early June for an injury that will take 5-6 months to heal.

Unless I missed an injury update or something

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
He isn't missing most of the year. What are you talking about? He's out for a month or so at the beginning of the season. He had surgery in early June for an injury that will take 5-6 months to heal.

Unless I missed an injury update or something

June, July, August, September, November, December.

6 months. No training camp, shoulder tear means no contact in rehab, hand eye coordination, pass and shot strength and accuracy needs to all be tuned.

Taking the entire January to be back ready, and he still wouldn't have game speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad