Confirmed Signing with Link: Colorado signs Alex Kerfoot to ELC

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
speaks the truth.

the last high profile college drafted UFA was Justin Shultz. Came down to Vancouver and Edmonton.

Shortly after he went to Edmonton, rumors leaked out that, the reason why the Canucks lost out was because Mike Gillis refused to offer him a "one way" deal.

I'd say Kevin Hayes was pretty damn high-profile.

The last part seems completely implausible as all ELC's are two-way. No one could offer Schultz a one-way deal.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's definitely not a city for everyone, and as much as I gush about it I understand that. I only brought it up because when I remember back to when I was 23, if I suddenly became wealthy or if any of my friends became wealthy, the City would be at or near the top of the list of places any of us would want to spend our time, since there's so much there. All those things I mentioned earlier and then the sheer scale of it all.

Not trying to sell the City to anyone, I just think it's often a selling point to younger guys. Not all, but many. Anyway, we'll see if Kerfoot feels that way. Given his overall talent level it's possible he never "makes it big" and plays his ELC on an AHL salary.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ya maybe battling for the 3rd line spot in AHL next year, not NHL.... Sure he is a good and free prospect but anybody actually thinking he will be in the NHL next season, im assuming you haven't seen him play. He DEFINATELY needs AHL time.

These NCAA guys that wait it out till UFA are getting WAY too much hype lately. This Kerfoot situation is the tipping point for me lol... hes being treated like hes a blue chip prospect or something

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
ya maybe battling for the 3rd line spot in AHL next year, not NHL.... Sure he is a good and free prospect but anybody actually thinking he will be in the NHL next season, im assuming you haven't seen him play. He DEFINATELY needs AHL time.

These NCAA guys that wait it out till UFA are getting WAY too much hype lately. This Kerfoot situation is the tipping point for me lol... hes being treated like hes a blue chip prospect or something

Who is pretending he's a blue chip prospect? I think everyone recognizes he's a bottom-sixer if he makes it. I haven't seen much hype. There's discussion, sure, but that's because it's August and what else is going on?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Yeah no one is expecting him to light the world on fire next year. This is nothing compared to the Vesey hype last year

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Who is pretending he's a blue chip prospect? I think everyone recognizes he's a bottom-sixer if he makes it. I haven't seen much hype. There's discussion, sure, but that's because it's August and what else is going on?

Yeah this is one of the really funny side effects these boards and blogs

Most of the hockey world is pretty indifferent to these Aug 15th ncaa ufa's;

a few get some extra press - Schultz as first test case during the modern internet/social media uber-coverage, Hobie winners like vesey and Butcher

But hobbyists and fanboys who regularly visit the blogs and boards,
they see their fellow hobbyists and fanboys overdiscussing guys like Kerfoot,
and mistake it for being a meaningful story arc in the greater hockey world,
which it actually ain't

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah this is one of the really funny side effects these boards and blogs

Most of the hockey world is pretty indifferent to these Aug 15th ncaa ufa's;

a few get some extra press - Schultz as first test case during the modern internet/social media uber-coverage, Hobie winners like vesey and Butcher

But hobbyists and fanboys who regularly visit the blogs and boards,
they see their fellow hobbyists and fanboys overdiscussing guys like Kerfoot,
and mistake it for being a meaningful story arc in the greater hockey world,
which it actually ain't

Exactly. Just a bunch of folks who really like hockey shooting the **** about a free agent prospect.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

sorry I shoulda been more specific... I didn't mean just on this site... in the hockey world its just going mental... but maybe its just cause I am from BC and he is a Vancouver kid cause the hype is crazy everywhere

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
sorry I shoulda been more specific... I didn't mean just on this site... in the hockey world its just going mental... but maybe its just cause I am from BC and he is a Vancouver kid cause the hype is crazy everywhere

It's not crazy in BC either. Most fans are fairly ambivalent about signing him—free prospect/system-depth but not expecting much.

It's getting minor-moderate media attention because it's the offseason and there's not much else to report.

It's nowhere close to the high profile college signings of previous years.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Yeah, you can judge how important this guy is by us Devils fans having a reaction of "Meh, shrug" to him leaving us to potentially sign with our biggest rival.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, you can judge how important this guy is by us Devils fans having a reaction of "Meh, shrug" to him leaving us to potentially sign with our biggest rival.

About the same reaction as I will have if we sign him. Big ol’ “mehâ€.

I’d rather have him than Butcher, but they are both “meh†to me.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I think a young heir would have more fun in NYC than in his hometown. Vancouver is great and all but NYC is a world center like London. This is especially true of ivy league hockey players who are smallish. Kerfoot puts a ball cap on and he can hide in the subway. There is no such refuge in public in Vancouver, where people will mention his corsi and the team's standings in their greeting.

Vancouver is a refuge for small, soft players, though. If he has no Cup aspirations (why would a billionaire covet a gaudy ring?) Vancouver might seem attractive. Perhaps another billionaire would be treated well by the Aquilinis? Vancouver isn't known for coddling players not named Sedin. Really, if Kerfoot has any other offers, he won't come to Vancouver.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
About the same reaction as I will have if we sign him. Big olÂ’ “mehÂâ€.

I’d rather have him than Butcher, but they are both “meh†to me.

they are both pretty meh, I agree.

from Devils POV, I'd probably prefer Butcher purely because of positional need.. so if we end up losing Kerfoot but signing Butcher, that's a fine trade for me. If we don't get either, it's okay too. These guys aren't going to be NHLers in all likelihood.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think a young heir would have more fun in NYC than in his hometown. .. There is no such refuge in public in Vancouver, where people will mention his corsi and the team's standings in their greeting...

agree. going home to Vancouver now could just be more difficult, ongoing overdone chatter about getting him called up, then icetime and scratches etc

make it in the league, then go home as a local favorite son, like Brassard

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
they are both pretty meh, I agree.

from Devils POV, I'd probably prefer Butcher purely because of positional need.. so if we end up losing Kerfoot but signing Butcher, that's a fine trade for me. If we don't get either, it's okay too. These guys aren't going to be NHLers in all likelihood.

Agreed. I think Kerfoot fits a "need", here, more. But I don't see either as a long-term NHLer (if at all).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am a bit biased and all, but I also think the number of young FAs we see go to the organizations with a good reputation forces other organizations out there to threat their kids better.

Especially the kids with a strong support network -- family that are in or has been in the NHL and so forth -- are leading the way asking for more.

The NHL has an amateur draft system, not a slave system. Some org's threat their kids like its the later. Or maybe its un-tasteful to put it like that, but you get what I mean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad