Confirmed Signing with Link: Colorado signs Alex Kerfoot to ELC

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Not an amazing player.

But hey, free player is free. So why not? *shrug*

my mood on this. I really don't care if he doesn't sign here, we do need a 3C though and I'm hoping if we grab him he impresses and slots in. I don't think he's ready for the NHL yet

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
he gets props from the public
- for not regressing without Vesey
and
- for being a top guy on a top team

wild card as to whether he'll have NHL career

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I echo the sentiments of my associates. Nothing to get excited about, but another center option would be great. We shouldn't be in a position to force our 18-year old 1st rounder to be on the roster immediately. I'd much sooner throw Kerfoot to the wolves than rush Andersson.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I agree it has changed a lot. It started getting cleaned up under Rudy decades ago. It is basically different strokes for different folks. Some people love NYC life. Some people would hate it. I was born in NYC but I feel thankful that my parents moved me to the suburbs where I could play hockey, baseball, football, and hoops 320 days a year right outside our house.

Same, I was born in NYC, moved to Brooklyn, than out to the suburbs in North Jersey. I would never go back for permanent residency unless the money really justified the move. We played inline right in front of my house just moving the nets every 10-15 minutes or so far cars. I can't imagine ever getting into inline/street hockey if I didn't move.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
A free prospect is a free prospect. He wouldn't be a home run signing like Kevin Hayes or Jimmy Vesey but it would be nice to add another guy to our pipeline.

Chytil is a few years away and Lias Andersson could be our 3C or 4C straight out the gate with Desharnais playing at the other spot, but I'm still holding out hope for a Bozak/Duchene/RNH trade (I'd dance JT Miller with Nick Holden). We're a top-6 C away from being a complete team. Hayes should be the 3C, Zibanejad should be the 1C or 2C and Andersson and Desharnais can compete for the 4C.

I think Boo Nieves is a bust.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Don't expect a particularly high ceiling from him, but the Rangers could always use another young guy after all the years of dealing picks. Free players on ELCs are always nice to have.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I don't get the hype.

At least Vesey was pretty much a surefire NHL player.

I really don't see much in the way of hype, especially not on the level of Vesey. Butcher has been talked about much more. I only see Vancouver and NY sites talking.

Any time you can have a young guy competing for an NHL spot it's a good thing and when it doesn't cost a pick or asset from a team to have him competing for that spot it's a definite win. Worst case is he becomes 13th forward or AHL when Fast is back from his injury, if he was to sign in NY.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
according to Dhali nucks are in the mix for all UFAs

Makes sense. Vancouver is a good bargaining chip for players agents, they need players and will likely be able to post a bit more given the state of the team and agents can use that to drive up prices for other teams.

Avsblitzkrieg

May 1, 2016
Westminster
I heard the avs were in the mix. We could use the depth. Can he play wing with Mack, Duchene, Jost, Compher, Soderberg, I don't see him playing center.

I have no clue why anyone would want to live in NYC. Denver has 2.5~ people and it's becoming way to much for me.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Same, I was born in NYC, moved to Brooklyn, than out to the suburbs in North Jersey. I would never go back for permanent residency unless the money really justified the move. We played inline right in front of my house just moving the nets every 10-15 minutes or so far cars. I can't imagine ever getting into inline/street hockey if I didn't move.

I'm in New Jersey rn ayyyy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I heard the avs were in the mix. We could use the depth. Can he play wing with Mack, Duchene, Jost, Compher, Soderberg, I don't see him playing center.

I have no clue why anyone would want to live in NYC. Denver has 2.5~ people and it's becoming way to much for me.

The history, the culture, the diversity of people. The city itself is like a living entity and it's absolutely amazing. It has everything you could ask for, if not within its city limits then within driving distance. Greatest city in the world.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The history, the culture, the diversity of people. The city itself is like a living entity and it's absolutely amazing. It has everything you could ask for, if not within its city limits then within driving distance. Greatest city in the world.

Everything besides a good hockey team maybe

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

For some, taking into account the high cost of living, the high taxes, and the extreme congestion, not so much for others.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I don't get all the kerfuffle over Kerfoot.

Nice to sign players for free but is he really any good? Is he any better than Andersson or Chityl who both should be well ahead of him on the depth chart? I guess there is the allure of immediately getting into the NHL as the Rangers need centre's but, not sure if that is a good thing for the Rangers if he does.
No, he's really not.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Would hate to lose him to a rival but at least it's Kerfoot an not someone like Wood or Santini like we were freaking out about 2 yrs ago.

Makes sense he wouldn't stay though he's behind 4, arguably 5 other centers on our depth chart.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Makes sense. Vancouver is a good bargaining chip for players agents, they need players and will likely be able to post a bit more given the state of the team and agents can use that to drive up prices for other teams.

.... Adam Kerfoot a Vancouver Native, whois dad part owner of the White caps, who said he followed the Vancouver Canucks when he was a kid, and he's using the Canucks as bargaining chip? the most we can offer him is a ELC anyways.

that said, if we are the source of driving up player salaries as bargaining chip I am happy for it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

It makes sense. He can compete with others for a 3/4C role on the opening night roster.

Compete? If he's going there he's probably been promised a spot. For any of these college FA guys that have a bunch of suitors you pretty much have to promise them a spot in the NHL right off.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Compete? If he's going there he's probably been promised a spot. For any of these college FA guys that have a bunch of suitors you pretty much have to promise them a spot in the NHL right off.

speaks the truth.

the last high profile college drafted UFA was Justin Shultz. Came down to Vancouver and Edmonton.

Shortly after he went to Edmonton, rumors leaked out that, the reason why the Canucks lost out was because Mike Gillis refused to offer him a "one way" deal.

In this case, I am 100% sure Jim Benning will not guarantee him a spot on the team, as like every other prospect they have to earn it. I think this might be the reason why Butcher is not signed yet, as he is fishing for a team that will guarantee him a spot on the NHL roster not the AHL.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
speaks the truth.

the last high profile college drafted UFA was Justin Shultz. Came down to Vancouver and Edmonton.

Shortly after he went to Edmonton, rumors leaked out that, the reason why the Canucks lost out was because Mike Gillis refused to offer him a "one way" deal.

In this case, I am 100% sure Jim Benning will not guarantee him a spot on the team, as like every other prospect they have to earn it. I think this might be the reason why Butcher is not signed yet, as he is fishing for a team that will guarantee him a spot on the NHL roster not the AHL.

All ELCs have to be two-way deals.

Gillis couldn't have offered Schultz a "one way deal" (there was also more to Schultz's decision to choose EDM over VAN than just promised NHL time.)

Unless you purposely put "one way" in quotes to imply that it was an unofficial agreement that the player would stay up and earn an NHL salary, rather than an actual one-way contract.

But the promise of at least a few NHL games and salary is almost always involved in wooing these college FAs, as we saw last season with Molino, and a few years back with Kellan Lain**.

EDIT: ** it was Mike Zalewski, not Kellan Lain.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad