News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
The more diversity and representation in media, the better. We need more people of color and more woman in these roles, not more white dudes because thats all we have ever known...
I think diversity for diversity's sake is dumb, however I also think that it's dumb to assume that only white guys can do PBP or color right? You have to start somewhere with the opportunities so as long as it's done right I'm all for it.

My company is headquartered in Silicon Valley, we get hit over the head on diversity constantly, which gets pretty old because it's not about the results, or even real diversity (they really just want the visible diversity, diversity of thought is outlawed). When we've tried hiring in the past we have to go through a whole process of getting someone through HR. They will give us a stack of "diverse" resumes and make us write justifications on why the person that just went through the interview pipeline is better than the people with no experience who didn't go through the pipeline. Which is so frustrating.

But on the other hand, it's been good because we've branched out and started recruiting from places we might not have considered before and we get more natural diversity that way. It's a hard problem to solve.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So, putting aside any sort of political correctness, which isn't the point anyway, getting more POC and women in these roles is vital for the sole reason that it casts a wider net and creates a better chance of putting someone good in that role. You keep sticking to the same staid ideas and people, it'll always reach a point of diminishing returns. Case in point: Doug McLeod was objectively horrible at his job, and only when he blurted out a dumb racist remark was he finally ushered out the door. Same goes with blathering megalomaniacs like Pierre, JR, Milbury, etc. There's no reason you can't keep the good ones at their respective positions, just quit settling for the objectively bad ones.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The more diversity and representation in media, the better. We need more people of color and more woman in these roles, not more white dudes because thats all we have ever known...

I have absolutely zero issues with having diversity hires, I just want them to still be good that the job. I like Hextall and I think she'll do a good job. I'd like Caley Chelios to get a bigger role somewhere, she's fantastic. If ESPN picked her up for commentary, I'd be thrilled.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I have absolutely zero issues with having diversity hires, I just want them to still be good that the job. I like Hextall and I think she'll do a good job. I'd like Caley Chelios to get a bigger role somewhere, she's fantastic. If ESPN picked her up for commentary, I'd be thrilled.

Yeah, ideally they are great hires and do the job perfectly. If not, maybe it inspired another person that now sees representation and they eventually come along and do a better job.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Yeah, ideally they are great hires and do the job perfectly. If not, maybe it inspired another person that now sees representation and they eventually come along and do a better job.
And it isn't like most of the broadcasting talent that we have to suffer through are super great at their jobs right?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hextall > Mleczko
Apples/oranges, Hextall is a PBP and has a ridiculous voice for a PBP (though she has the thought process and speed to be a good PBP). Mleczko is an analyst and she's a damn good one at that, definitely the best female in the entire league.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Get Esa Tikkanen. Won’t understand a damn thing he says, but it will be entertaining.
Quoted for truth. That dude...Holy shit some of the quotes. I'm not sure how it actually worked before the internets but damnit, he's a loveable shit and I want him on my team.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Why do we need more people of color and more women in these roles? Shouldn't hires simply be made based on qualifications rather than trivialities such as the colour of a persons skin or their gender? Some would even argue that it's downright discriminatory and racist to hire based on race or gender when there are more qualified job candidates available.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Why do we need more people of color and more women in these roles? Shouldn't hires simply be made based on qualifications rather than trivialities such as the colour of a persons skin or their gender? Some would even argue that it's downright discriminatory and racist to hire based on race or gender when there are more qualified job candidates available.
These quotas are deemed necessary to insure qualifications and talent indeed become the solely deciding factors. They are not meant to stay forever.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Are you seriously this naive?

Reactions: CharlesPuck

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
In an ideal world, yes, that would be the way it works. The problem is, we don't live in that world, and in our world, being white and male is a huge boost to your chances to get involved enough in that world and make the connections necessary to get high profile jobs. That's the way it was for a long, long time, and the legacy of that is still alive today, like it or not. Promoting the rise of qualified people who aren't part of the old boys club is a necessary step to speed the way to getting to that ideal world.

Nobody is saying "hire people just because they're diverse" and ignore qualifications. But there are plenty of qualified people out there who deserve shots, all we're saying is that they should get them.

Reactions: CharlesPuck and JWK

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Isn't it just as "political" to question why they're looking to hire women and people of color?

Seems to me most of the time people complain about "politics" is when someone's ideology feels threatened when a few people start sharing opinions they don't agree with. Nobody ever has a problem with "politics" when people are saying things they agree with.

The answer isn't to stifle these conversations or ignore these issues. That's what we've done for decades and that's why everyone just stays in their bubbles and nothing ever changes.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
In an ideal world, yes, that would be the way it works. The problem is, we don't live in that world, and in our world, being white and male is a huge boost to your chances to get involved enough in that world and make the connections necessary to get high profile jobs. That's the way it was for a long, long time, and the legacy of that is still alive today, like it or not. Promoting the rise of qualified people who aren't part of the old boys club is a necessary step to speed the way to getting to that ideal world.

Nobody is saying "hire people just because they're diverse" and ignore qualifications. But there are plenty of qualified people out there who deserve shots, all we're saying is that they should get them.

I don't think it's a good idea to get into this debate here, especially with the whole "no politics rule", so I'll just say this: The issue isn't "hire people just because they're diverse and ignore qualifications.", it's treating gender and skin color as if its a major qualification. As in, Person A is the best at the job, Person B is good but not great, but is not white/male, so we'll hire Person B. That's the thing that bothers people - nobody thinks the "diversity hire" is completely unqualified - they just think if you remove race and gender from the equation the "diversity hire" is no longer the best candidate for the job.

Now if people believe that Hextall is one of the top-tier PBP people available, then fine. But if she's not, then the hiring deserves some criticism IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unfortunately it's usually too much to ask for things to immediately go from old white men on every broadcast to a diverse qualified group.

Often times with these things you have to force the issue first just to get the ball moving.

So we'll probably have to suffer through listening to the Cassie Campbell's of the world for a little bit, before the network's put in the effort to find someone who's actually good at what they do.

Lets be honest though, it's not like most of the in studio guys on the national broadcasts don't suck too.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Unfortunately it's usually too much to ask for things to immediately go from old white men on every broadcast to a diverse qualified group.

Often times with these things you have to force the issue first just to get the ball moving.

So we'll probably have to suffer through listening to the Cassie Campbell's of the world for a little bit, before the network's put in the effort to find someone who's actually good at what they do.

Lets be honest though, it's not like most of the in studio guys on the national broadcasts don't suck too.

Not true. If a woman is awful and is only given the job because of some agenda, it lacks authenticity and can actually set back the cause.

But what happens in this scenario is the media plays games. If people complain about awful female announcers, the people complaining are automatically dismissed as sexist.

This lack of authenticity and bullying, doesn’t advance the cause. It simply causes resentment.

If it was truly at a point of equality, a female announcer would be un-noteworthy. But when is the media ever going to let that happen?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not true. If a woman is awful and is only given the job because of some agenda, it lacks authenticity and can actually set back the cause.

But what happens in this scenario is the media plays games. If people complain about awful female announcers, the people complaining are automatically dismissed as sexist.

This lack of authenticity and bullying, doesn’t advance the cause. It simply causes resentment.

If it was truly at a point of equality, a female announcer would be un-noteworthy. But when is the media ever going to let that happen?

I think the bolded is more your speculation at what might happen though, rather than what actually does happen.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Im not talking about decisions by networks. I’m talking about winning trust with their audience.

Which is completely subjective though right? And one person being bad at their job doesn't ruin it for everyone.

Which is proven by the fact that we keep seeing women hired.

Like I said, it's highly unlikely that you just immediatly go from using old white men to a more diverse group that is also highly qualified. These things take a long time and it has to start somewhere.

I'm just speaking generally on this with regard to the diversity issue.

Reactions: klozge and McMetal

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Which is completely subjective though right? And one person being bad at their job doesn't ruin it for everyone.

Which is proven by the fact that we keep seeing women hired.

Like I said, it's highly unlikely that you just immediatly go from using old white men to a more diverse group that is also highly qualified. These things take a long time and it has to start somewhere.

I'm just speaking generally on this with regard to the diversity issue.

It’s not binary and that’s a massive hole in your comments.

You say that like people accept old white men because they’re old white men, which suggests quality means nothing. Yes, quality is subjective but when many people agree, it means something.

Did everyone like Pat Summerall? No, but most did. Did everyone like Marv Albert? No, but most did. Pam Ward, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad