Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like that The Athletic didn’t just swoop in and scoop up a recycled old dude from hockey circles to start their Avs coverage. I hope the next person, whoever it is, is as good with words and also maybe pushes the envelope a little more.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Bummer that he’s leaving. The bar was low but he did a great job. And it’s important that Sakic trusted him.

Honestly, I think it might be better for his career if he stays in Colorado. Not everyone has Joe’s trust and being “the guy” as the Avs are becoming more and more relevant could enhance his cachet more. I can’t blame him for making this choice though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Bummer that he’s leaving. The bar was low but he did a great job. And it’s important that Sakic trusted him.

Honestly, I think it might be better for his career if he stays in Colorado. Not everyone has Joe’s trust and being “the guy” as the Avs are becoming more and more relevant could enhance his cachet more. I can’t blame him for making this choice though.
He's getting in on the ground floor in Seattle. And Seattle will likely be eager to find a media mouthpiece/insider for their market. This is a good move for him. Sucks that we're losing him, but congrats to him on getting a pretty sweet gig.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Maybe they can find someone who has been to a hockey game before 2018.

I bet that Clark sent his resume to the Athletic and they wanted him...there was an opening in Colorado for hockey coverage and he accepted it.

My advice: Hire a Canadian, preferably someone who covered a Canadian hockey team before.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I bet that Clark sent his resume to the Athletic and they wanted him...there was an opening in Colorado for hockey coverage and he accepted it.

My advice: Hire a Canadian, preferably someone who covered a Canadian hockey team before.
giphy.gif

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

How about they hire someone good? Nationality and which team he/she covered need not apply.

Mooserton

Oct 4, 2013
Colorado
This is sad news for me. Ryan's twitter game may have been off with his repetitive jokes but I really enjoyed his writing for the Athletic. Plus he never carried himself in a negative way and there was little to no vitriol when interacting with fans which I can't say for other media surrounding the Avs.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
This is sad news for me. Ryan's twitter game may have been off with his repetitive jokes but I really enjoyed his writing for the Athletic. Plus he never carried himself in a negative way and there was little to no vitriol when interacting with fans which I can't say for other media surrounding the Avs.
He's not dead, he's still employed by the Athletic and you'll see be able to read his stories.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Are there any non-Canadian hockey markets where The Athletic still has more than one writer? Maybe they'll try to reassign someone.

George Richards is doing the same thing Dater is now with his own subscription based site.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think so. I don't subscribe so I don't know how it all works but he's at FloridaHockeyNow. I assume that's all part of one company.
Ah, so yeah. I don't know what the deal is there. Dater has been talking about his autonomy like that's a big part of it. Kind of reminds me of how SBNation had the separate blogs for teams or whatever.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Bummer, I like Clark. Everyone here loves to complain about the lack of quality media outlets and then immediately shit on everyone who comes in to solve the issue, be it DNVR or Clark.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Bummer, I like Clark. Everyone here loves to complain about the lack of quality media outlets and then immediately shit on everyone who comes in to solve the issue, be it DNVR or Clark.
Clark isn't an outlet, the outlet continues to exist.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ah, so yeah. I don't know what the deal is there. Dater has been talking about his autonomy like that's a big part of it. Kind of reminds me of how SBNation had the separate blogs for teams or whatever.

"Hockeynow" provides the name/concept/template/payment processing and you put whatever you want on your website in exchange for a monthly fee.

Reactions: UncleRisto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad