Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ah, so yeah. I don't know what the deal is there. Dater has been talking about his autonomy like that's a big part of it. Kind of reminds me of how SBNation had the separate blogs for teams or whatever.

He still needs to get his creep on. :nod:

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Clark isn't an outlet, the outlet continues to exist.
Clark was an outlet in the way he had a direct feed from Sakic as the reporter he trusted to give info to. I didn't see anyone else getting nearly as many exclusives, maybe that continues with his replacement maybe it doesnt. The market was better off with him than it was before he started.

Reactions: Iceberg

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I can't imagine them showing any interest in Dater for a variety of reasons. With one of them being that he has taken shots at Clark and the company in the past and a number of people who work there don't appear to be big fans of his. I know, shocking.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
UncleRisto: Why I'm joining The Athletic – The Athletic

They made you an offer you couldn't refuse.

heinzglass_2_1200x1200.jpg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't imagine them showing any interest in Dater for a variety of reasons. With one of them being that he has taken shots at Clark and the company in the past and a number of people who work there don't appear to be big fans of his. I know, shocking.
Yeah too much risk associated with Dater, they'd not hire him anyway.

I'm expecting some kind of outsider, not someone who's gravitating around the Avs.

My vote would go for someone who previously covered the Leafs or the Habs and would bring some kind of real hockey journalism culture to the Avalanche. Something they didn't have in 25 years.

Other than that, TMV would be good.

Reactions: Metallo

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Can we just get an experienced non hyperbolic reporter? No more glorified bloggers. Is that too much to ask?

Reactions: BrickNHL

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Can we just get an experienced non hyperbolic reporter? No more glorified bloggers. Is that too much to ask?

Who would be on your wishlist? (assuming experience means established names). Who's an example of a glorified blogger that The Athletic employs?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any one of the people the Athletic laid off would be a start. They don’t have to be long tenured or come from any certain background as long as someone wants to do the job of a reporter. Hailey Salvian does a nice job covering Ottawa and she is new to the beat. This market desperately needs a reporter, it’s absurd.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who would be on your wishlist? (assuming experience means established names). Who's an example of a glorified blogger that The Athletic employs?

I don't have a list, I'm just looking for someone who has a passion for the job, and will work hard and just report things accurately. There should be plenty of people like that to choose from.

My comment about a glorified blogger wasn't about the Athletic or anyone else, it was just a general comment based on what Avalanche coverage has kind of become with the lack of professional beat reporters covering the team.

I'm ok with Terry Frei getting another chance if he wants it. Same with Sadowski, he's a no frills type, though he might like having a lesser workload away from the spotlight I'm not sure. As mentioned there were several Athletic reporters that were laid off as well that could be good candidates.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I think it wouldn’t be ideal if it were someone from a larger market. Someone from Toronto would probably shoehorn the Leafs into every report about the Avs. They’re too hardwired to do that. Same with NY, Chicago, and possibly LA.

I almost think it’s better if they don’t have a background writing about hockey.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If you want non-hyperbolic then Rick Sadowski is probably your guy. Dude just straight up reports it how it is.

There are a number of easy choices here. Hope they don't screw it up.

Why? He seems like a nice guy but honestly, what do we gain from this? All of his stuff is the exact same. He tells you some news from practice (which the Avs website also posts), he tells you the score (which you can see), and he puts up post-practice/game quotes (which you can watch for yourself). IMO, him moving from his current position to replace Clark makes Avs coverage significantly worse.

People didn't like certain aspects of Clark's work but he actually worked to provide more than what we get anyways. He had exclusives with Sakic, Billington, Hepple, Cronin, prospects who we don't hear from regularly, coaches of prospects, in depth articles on players that go beyond game day stuff, he incorporates analytics into his articles, he'd go to Loveland for interviews, he went to UMass, this isn't really my thing but he'd even talk to parents, etc. He actually put in the work, which you can't say for most others covering this team.

To each their own but I'd hate it if we get someone whose just going to do some cookie cutter daily reporting. That's what the Avs website is for and they actually do a decent job of it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it wouldn’t be ideal if it were someone from a larger market. Someone from Toronto would probably shoehorn the Leafs into every report about the Avs. They’re too hardwired to do that. Same with NY, Chicago, and possibly LA.

I almost think it’s better if they don’t have a background writing about hockey.

:laugh: This seems like a bit of a reach.

There's an insane amount of talent out there. Get someone from outside hockey, get a hockey writer, or if they were so inclined just reassign someone they already have on the payroll, doesn't matter to me so long as they're good.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think Sadowski would put more work in writing for the Athletic and I would probably subscribe to him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why? He seems like a nice guy but honestly, what do we gain from this? All of his stuff is the exact same. He tells you some news from practice (which the Avs website also posts), he tells you the score (which you can see), and he puts up post-practice/game quotes (which you can watch for yourself). IMO, him moving from his current position to replace Clark makes Avs coverage significantly worse.

People didn't like certain aspects of Clark's work but he actually worked to provide more than what we get anyways. He had exclusives with Sakic, Billington, Hepple, Cronin, prospects who we don't hear from regularly, coaches of prospects, in depth articles on players that go beyond game day stuff, he incorporates analytics into his articles, he'd go to Loveland for interviews, he went to UMass, this isn't really my thing but he'd even talk to parents, etc. He actually put in the work, which you can't say for most others covering this team.

To each their own but I'd hate it if we get someone whose just going to do some cookie cutter daily reporting. That's what the Avs website is for and they actually do a decent job of it.

He's just a straight-up reporter. I think he's a nice guy and a decent writer but I'll agree I'd like someone who adds a bit more personality to his pieces, like Clark did.

This is shaping up to be the best Avalanche team we've seen in over a decade. The Athletic better bring in someone good, that's all I ask.

Reactions: Avs_19

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
:laugh: This seems like a bit of a reach.

There's an insane amount of talent out there. Get someone from outside hockey, get a hockey writer, or if they were so inclined just reassign someone they already have on the payroll, doesn't matter to me so long as they're good.

I’m not sure an “insider” would have the trust of the Avs.

I’m also not so sure there’s this insane amount of talent. But I guess this can be extremely subjective.

Is Lindsey Jones still at the post? She was decent with her Broncos coverage. I think she could be good at covering the Avs.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
I don't have a list, I'm just looking for someone who has a passion for the job, and will work hard and just report things accurately. There should be plenty of people like that to choose from.

My comment about a glorified blogger wasn't about the Athletic or anyone else, it was just a general comment based on what Avalanche coverage has kind of become with the lack of professional beat reporters covering the team.

I'm ok with Terry Frei getting another chance if he wants it. Same with Sadowski, he's a no frills type, though he might like having a lesser workload away from the spotlight I'm not sure. As mentioned there were several Athletic reporters that were laid off as well that could be good candidates.

The Athletic has a pretty consistent model, they seem to hire competent beat reporters. They do often hire young reporters which I personally think is great, and while I'm not familiar with most of their staff reporters, can't think of a bad one that they've had covering Denver teams that I'm familiar with. Compares favorably with the modern Denver Post, IMO. It does seem to be the only other outlet providing a traditional sports beat.

Something like DNVR has a different model, and they're not hiding from being essentially a glorified blogging outfit. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Adam Mares is a longtime Nuggets blogger/podcaster who is pretty damn good at what he does, I'd love it if the Avs had someone on that level covering them in the blogger/podcaster realm.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

I can’t agree with this. I’m tired of journalists not having a background in hockey. I don’t want somebody learning on the job and not having the proper perspective.

Could you imagine a journalist covering the Broncos and learning about football? That would be unacceptable. Why is it acceptable for the Avs?

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I can’t agree with this. I’m tired of journalists not having a background in hockey. I don’t want somebody learning on the job and not having the proper perspective.

Could you imagine a journalist covering the Broncos and learning about football? That would be unacceptable. Why is it acceptable for the Avs?

Most of the job is getting access to information and being palatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad