Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
This was very predictable the day they hired him to cover the Avs. Pretty excited to see who will be replacing him. Hopefully The Athletic realizes the Avs will probably be one of the better teams in the NHL for a little while here and dedicate a better reporter to cover them. In reality they'll probably just drop Avs coverage.
Better?

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
This was very predictable the day they hired him to cover the Avs. Pretty excited to see who will be replacing him. Hopefully The Athletic realizes the Avs will probably be one of the better teams in the NHL for a little while here and dedicate a better reporter to cover them. In reality they'll probably just drop Avs coverage.

yikes.... you are happy our best reporter is leaving... So glad Chambers and AD are around still....

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
At the end of the article, which is really good and explains the personal side of things for him, he says they will hire someone else to cover the team...

The Athletic is still going to cover the Colorado Avalanche. In fact, we have already had candidates show interest in the job. The plan is to have someone in place ahead of the 2020-21 season, whenever it officially starts. In the meantime, I will still be writing Avs stories while transitioning to my new role, and my successor will bring the same passion for storytelling and desire to connect with the community.

Reactions: Balthazar

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
yikes.... you are happy our best reporter is leaving... So glad Chambers and AD are around still....

'Best reporter' holds no value with guys like Chambers and Dater setting the bar so ridiculously low. It gets a hell of a lot better than Ryan Clarke and his fourth 'and I'll fuking do it again' meme in a single game.

Opens the door for the Athletic to drop a Russo type on the Avs.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Clark is a well liked guy in the media community, just judging by the number of high profile reporters wishing him well, and offering congratulations. I doubt Dater or Chambers would get any of that.

DanglesFromDuchene

Sep 8, 2013
It was nice to have someone that wasn't ridiculous like AD or MC but he was really starting to get unreadable for me. Whenever he had to "talk hockey", he used a ton of words to say absolutely nothing. There were several articles I just had to stop reading a quarter of the way through. It reminded me of a college student that clearly didn't research the topic they were writing about but was just spewing b.s. to fill the pages. It was nice to get occasional in-depth pieces on the players' lives though.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Congrats to Mike Chambers for joining the athletic!

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Hope The Athletic isn't looking at Mike Chambers or Dater. Doesn't seem to their MO... they probably could have had Dater the when they hired their Avs beat writer but they went with Clark who was a young, fresh voice on the scene. They should go the same route for the replacement. I'm sure hockey curmudgeons would love for The Athletic to recycle some old stale dinosaur, but screw that. They'd be better off hiring a new talent and letting them develop their voice.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seriously, I don't hate Clark at all but I absolutely buy the fact that he was effin' useless here the last six months.

He was like red head, no passion in the club, just using them as a stepping stone to a better and higher paid position (which begs to differ that this is as much of a lateral move as best, but with more homeless people, taxes, and riots). People can shit on Dater, but he's there making minimum wage to cover the Avs. Maybe he doesn't know anything else, but I get more of an aspect he's a deeper fan than anybody else currently writing for this team.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Damn
I actually thought he was great.
Sad to see him go.
I think there was a bit of a mirage with him, he was a breath of fresh air not because he was amazing but because everyone else is just so bad here. In terms of writing ability, he was as average as a journalist could be, a lot of fluff was needed to extend his articles and I honestly the last four months or so I was just glancing through them.

Reactions: MarkT

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I liked Clark, mostly because he didn’t just pull stuff out of his ass. It’s nice to have the rumor-mill guys too, mostly for entertainment. But when Clark said something either absolutely was or was not happening, you could take it to the bank.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You could see it coming with the amount of Seattle stories he wrote and the access he already has to people higher up in that organization.

It's really too bad. He's great at his job and easily the best Avs reporter. He's also clearly the guy the Avs trust the most both on and off the record. You can tell the players like him too and he gives a good example of that with the part about Landeskog and MacKinnon in today's article.

Hopefully they can find someone as good and professional as him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Clark. He's a solid writer who really shined in his bigger stories. He wasn't the greatest day-to-day beat writer, and his sense of humor wasn't for everybody (including me a lot of the time)... but he's the best beat the Avs have had for a long time. I also kinda like that he wasn't a diehard fan like Dater. That takes away the impartial nature that should be shown towards a team. I hope they get somebody good to cover the Avs. Plenty of good talent out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad