Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I have never had a problem with Moser and McNabb. Actually really like them TBH.
I feel similar. At worst I'm indifferent to them. At best I find humor in some of what they say.

Moser can mix up names and call icings when it is a penalty or vice versa, but it doesn't detract from what I'm watching. I have eyes too.

One thing I will say is I am growing more concerned for mcnabb's health, he is fumbling his words more and more and I can't imagine he will be doing the color commentary much longer. His anecdotes grow a little tiresome, but nothing that makes me want to mute.

Reactions: Narp

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The complaints about the broadcasting team are numerous but who would be better?

There would be a ton of great choices if the people running Altitude bothered to look. Seattle plucked their first-ever radio guy out of the ECHL. There’s multiple levels of hockey and other sports from which they can search for new talent. Also, because of the slow death of terrestrial radio and more teams opting to simulcast, some people already with NHL experience might be available.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
4ltisrnfcvh21.jpg

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I prefer McGahey 100x over Moser. That man has been annoying me since he took over the radio gig years ago. I just don't think he's got enough tools to do the job well. That includes vocabulary, imagination, and tone.
He'd have been much better suited doing Keefe's job in the studio.

As for McNab, I'll forever have a soft spot for him, but he's needed to retire for a while now. Rycroft is the obvious replacement being groomed there, and he's certainly a step up.

But I really don't want Marc and Mark in the broadcast booth together. It's too much of a certain sort of style that grates without a straight-man in on the act.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
I enjoy Conor's call. His style has grown on me (plus he's dropped some of his odder early quirks, like emphasizing 'He' on a 'He scores' call). I've started plugging the online radio stream through VLC so I can sync his call to the video. I'll usually watch the other teams video since most of them feature shot counts (apparently Altitude is not in on the shot count conspiracy).

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I prefer McGahey 100x over Moser. That man has been annoying me since he took over the radio gig years ago. I just don't think he's got enough tools to do the job well. That includes vocabulary, imagination, and tone.
He'd have been much better suited doing Keefe's job in the studio.

As for McNab, I'll forever have a soft spot for him, but he's needed to retire for a while now. Rycroft is the obvious replacement being groomed there, and he's certainly a step up.

But I really don't want Marc and Mark in the broadcast booth together. It's too much of a certain sort of style that grates without a straight-man in on the act.

Weird how everyone differs. I personally find McGahey really cringey. His calls feel very forced, and all premeditated. His oh captain my captain call on Landeskogs goal, or All hail Cale on Makars are just too much for me.

The best announcers, it just flows. They know about all the players, they know the important stats, and they call the game correctly. The Avs don’t have anyone at all capable of that.

Reactions: SirLoinOfCloth

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Weird how everyone differs. I personally find McGahey really cringey. His calls feel very forced, and all premeditated. His oh captain my captain call on Landeskogs goal, or All hail Cale on Makars are just too much for me.

The best announcers, it just flows. They know about all the players, they know the important stats, and they call the game correctly. The Avs don’t have anyone at all capable of that.
No, I get that. Some of his canned calls strike me the same way. As if you can see the gears in the manufacturing process.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Shinjuku Calling

Jun 20, 2017

that shit gives me chills. yick.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Regarding Miska:

f*** those idiots on social media!

Miska is not ready to handle the pressure or good enough yet! That´s one thing and everybody saw it from the beginning.
And yet Sakic rode it out. That´s all on our management this time!

Reactions: Zandar

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

Grubauer won the Cup with the Caps that year btw

Nevermind, I stand by my point: I don´t give a damn about people (idiots, there I said it in "primitive language style") and their personal attacks on Hunter Miska via social media.

Miska is one of our players, period. We can critize his one-ice-performance as a player (just like others), which was not good enough (unfortunately). The main fault lies on our management and staff (especially Parkkila) It´s their job to recognize if a player is capable to stand his ground or not. I´ll stick with that, too.

I like the guys from Eurolanche and I agree with them on the topic, but the comparison between Grubauer and Miska is kinda "weird".

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This is speculation on my part regarding Miska.

I think Parkkila, Sakic, and the Avs scouts looked at Miska, analyzed his mechanics and athleticism and figured he could shoulder the load of a #3. Really, all things considered dude had a MONSTER season in the minors, rocketing his way from the Grizzlies to taking over the crease in Loveland.

And for comparison, back in 2018-19 the Blues had relegated a young goalie named Jordan Binnington to the ECHL, he just refused to go. Not saying Miska is the next Binner, just saying that it’s not unheard of for a guy to be considered ECHL level to have limited success at the NHL level.

And really, his first game wasn’t bad. Not great, but not bad. Unfortunately, it’s pretty obvious nerves eventually got the best of him. He got increasingly uncomfortable back there with each subsequent start until that game against the Ducks where he was just frozen any time a shooter came down on him. Based on what I read he really took that first start hard and felt terrible.

I think Miska, talent-wise, could be a decent #3 type. The problem was mental. I don’t mean this as a diss on him—I’ve slagged the poor guy enough. He was just too nervous and couldn’t settle it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad