Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was almost too blunt, honestly. That sounded like a question the Toronto media would ask after a bad game "Hey Tavares, you had zero points in a 3-8 loss today, why do you think you let the city of Toronto down today and how does that make you feel knowing that children are going to bed crying tonight after that embarrassment?"

I mean, we're all thinking it, but it was kind of a dick move to put Bednar on the spot like that, when he really and truly does have no control over his goalie depth and has to work with what Sakic gives him. What's he supposed to say? "We know Miska sucks, but it's all Sakic's fault that our goalie depth is crap and he needs to get something done soon so we don't have to play this loser anymore"?

Normally I'd agree but this has gone on for so long that I am 100% okay with Chambers' delivery. The organization needed to be put on the spot there, and while it's not necessarily Bednar's fault, fair or not that was a question asked of the organization and the head coach represents that organization. Other reporters had already tapdanced around the 500-pound gorilla in the room every time Miska shat the bed, it was time to go further.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I'm not going to deny this notion, but it's just a dumb thing to harp on, imo.

The Avs play on a RSN owned by the guy who owns the team. I would expect most teams (if not all) in a same circumstance to have PBP/Color Commentators who are just like Moser and McNab (and I'm not really a Moser fan, McNab is fine but I don't really pay attention to him).

Moser and McNab are catering to their target market--Avs fans. Not saying I agree with it, just that I get it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not going to deny this notion, but it's just a dumb thing to harp on, imo.

The Avs play on a RSN owned by the guy who owns the team. I would expect most teams (if not all) in a same circumstance to have PBP/Color Commentators who are just like Moser and McNab (and I'm not really a Moser fan, McNab is fine but I don't really pay attention to him).

Moser and McNab are catering to their target market--Avs fans. Not saying I agree with it, just that I get it.

I actually think they should be catering to Avs fans and not sucking up to anyone else.

It’s bad enough that the national media is so biased toward the coasts and large media markets, the least they could do for the fans of teams in between is make it enjoyable.

Having said that, an announcer can cater t it’s fanbase but still be bad.

It’s a double edged sword though. In some ways it’s bad. For example, when certain players are awful, they’re less likely to be called out in this type of arrangement.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I quite enjoy Ryker and Keefe in the studio, but Moser and especially McNabb are insufferable to listen to in gameplay.

I’m somewhat indifferent to all of them. Honestly, if the Avs had someone who was really great, they’d be there for 5 minutes then move up in the media world.

I don’t know if you follow baseball but if you want to see some bad announcers, try listening to some of the drivel coming from baseball announcers for 4 hours. If people think Moser and McNabb are bad, there are many baseball announcers saying “hold my beer.”

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I quite enjoy Ryker and Keefe in the studio, but Moser and especially McNabb are insufferable to listen to in gameplay.

Favorite McNabbism for the evening:

"I can't recall the last time I saw a 4th line take the opening face-off"

Umm, Pete, it happened last game. I know the announcers are forced to do the gambling thing for their 3 betting sponsors. Perhaps Ball is making Pete drink copious Ball cups of beer.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Haha, McNab and the rest of the Altitude crew made fun of Jbara for a small on-air flub last night.

It is especially interesting that Keefe started the jabbing, as it was he who earlier phrased a hard shot as hitting the puck 'in the nuts.' Ryker was essentially speechless at that one.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Favorite McNabbism for the evening:

"I can't recall the last time I saw a 4th line take the opening face-off"

Umm, Pete, it happened last game. I know the announcers are forced to do the gambling thing for their 3 betting sponsors. Perhaps Ball is making Pete drink copious Ball cups of beer.
He recently also went on and on about the Avs lack of RHD's in the lineup recently, despite the fact that Timmins was on the ice, even as he was talking.

His farewell comments to "Avs legend Erik Cole, a great teammate and character off the ice" was also pretty special too.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Colorado Sports Teams have the worst announcers in their respective sports.

Except for the Rapids, Fleming and Balboa are elite. Moser could learn a thing or two or thousands by listening to Fleming and Balboa.

This isn't remotely true. Chris Marlowe is a fantastic PxP guy. Rockies had Schemmel before they stupidly decided to fire him, and he was the Nuggets radio guy before that. Koz took over there and he's good as well.

Also, problematic as I find Moser at times, I still think he's way better than Haynes. And Conor McGahey is tremendous--wish they'd get him a full time color guy like Johnny Malkin.

There are far, far worse announcer teams across the world of sports.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
This isn't remotely true. Chris Marlowe is a fantastic PxP guy. Rockies had Schemmel before they stupidly decided to fire him, and he was the Nuggets radio guy before that. Koz took over there and he's good as well.

Also, problematic as I find Moser at times, I still think he's way better than Haynes. And Conor McGahey is tremendous--wish they'd get him a full time color guy like Johnny Malkin.

I can't agree there. Moser is probably the worst play-by-play guy in the league. Hayes was bottom 5-10, but Moser is literally the worst. His constant bitching about penalties is enough, then his scissor nonsense thrown in...

EnCfpRVW4AAqvq-.jpg

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I can't agree there. Moser is probably the worst play-by-play guy in the league. Hayes was bottom 5-10, but Moser is literally the worst. His constant bitching about penalties is enough, then his scissor nonsense thrown in...

EnCfpRVW4AAqvq-.jpg

Meh. I get why people don’t like him. He bothers me too, but I still like him a LOT better than Haynes. It’d be nice if Altitude went out and got a top-tier guy to call games like Seattle did but we know that certainly ain’t happening under current circumstances.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010

I'm talking about TV, Schemmel isn't there anymore so no point in mentioning him anyways. Marlowe is fine, Hastings is terrible. It's not a coincidence the Nuggets broadcast become so much better when Winge is replacing Hastings.

Goodman and Huson are the worst duo in the MLB and for good reasons. Does anyone even like Moser/McNab pair? They don't add anything to the broadcast and it's not like they're funny like Bill Walton either.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm talking about TV, Schemmel isn't there anyways so no point in mentioning him anyways. Marlowe is fine, Hastings is terrible. It's not a coincidence the Nuggets broadcast become so much better when Winge is replacing Hastings.

Goodman and Huson are the worst duo in the MLB and for good reasons. Does anyone even like Moser/McNab pair? They don't add anything to the broadcast and it's not like they're funny like Bill Walton either.

I agree about Hastings. Why Altitude ruined a good thing when they started out with Marlowe and Hanzlik is beyond me. I guess they wanted the name recognition that came with Hastings but I've just never cared for his spiel.

But I still don't think they're all THE WORST. I can name off at least a couple hockey duos that are worse, if not more.

As far as the Rox go, I don't get Root Sports (or whatever the f*** they call it now) and have been out of Colorado for over a decade so I haven't watched a game on TV in God knows how long. Occasionally I catch a radio broadcast but that's it. Those two didn't bother me a lot but really, I've been largely apathetic about baseball for a long time now. Rockies best broadcasting team was probably when Campbell was aboard in the early, early days.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's no way Moser bitches more about penalties than Jack Edwards, the SJ broadcast, the Dallas broadcast, or plenty of other team's broadcasts.

You guys are just sensitized to it, because you watch Avs broadcasts instead of other teams.

I'll take Moser and McNab's flubs over McGahey's constant lame scripted jokes and cackling over the broadcast, any day.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I agree about Hastings. Why Altitude ruined a good thing when they started out with Marlowe and Hanzlik is beyond me. I guess they wanted the name recognition that came with Hastings but I've just never cared for his spiel.

But I still don't think they're all THE WORST. I can name off at least a couple hockey duos that are worse, if not more.

As far as the Rox go, I don't get Root Sports (or whatever the f*** they call it now) and have been out of Colorado for over a decade so I haven't watched a game on TV in God knows how long. Occasionally I catch a radio broadcast but that's it. Those two didn't bother me a lot but really, I've been largely apathetic about baseball for a long time now. Rockies best broadcasting team was probably when Campbell was aboard in the early, early days.

Hastings is horrible.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I fully acknowledge that Moser is not very good, but I'm with Poke in saying he's way better than Haynes. Haynes was so annoying to me, I couldn't stand him in any aspect. Moser has his flaws but he's better at the nuts and bolts of the job. I don't care at all that he's a raging homer, there's no shortage of those around the league, even some of the really good ones are biased as hell. At least Moser isn't shy about giving credit to the other teams and their players when they deserve it.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I can't agree there. Moser is probably the worst play-by-play guy in the league.

McNab is bottom 3 in insightful comments for a color guy too. Combined with the cable situation the Avs TV broadcast is such a mess.

His constant bitching about penalties is enough.

It's hard to educate the public about reffing when the guy on TV himself don't understand that refs have to make insta calls according to their own perspective and not from TV replays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad