Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I doubt Miska would go out of his way to read these boards (he knows he isn't playing well, he doesn't need to go seek out criticism), but on Twitter you can @ him and even send DMs, that's a whole different circumstance, and no doubt that's what was happening from a few dumbasses that forced him to delete it.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
This is speculation on my part regarding Miska.

I think Parkkila, Sakic, and the Avs scouts looked at Miska, analyzed his mechanics and athleticism and figured he could shoulder the load of a #3. Really, all things considered dude had a MONSTER season in the minors, rocketing his way from the Grizzlies to taking over the crease in Loveland.

And for comparison, back in 2018-19 the Blues had relegated a young goalie named Jordan Binnington to the ECHL, he just refused to go. Not saying Miska is the next Binner, just saying that it’s not unheard of for a guy to be considered ECHL level to have limited success at the NHL level.

And really, his first game wasn’t bad. Not great, but not bad. Unfortunately, it’s pretty obvious nerves eventually got the best of him. He got increasingly uncomfortable back there with each subsequent start until that game against the Ducks where he was just frozen any time a shooter came down on him. Based on what I read he really took that first start hard and felt terrible.

I think Miska, talent-wise, could be a decent #3 type. The problem was mental. I don’t mean this as a diss on him—I’ve slagged the poor guy enough. He was just too nervous and couldn’t settle it down.

Everything about Miska's game says "No NHL skills" especially mentally. Miska hasn't changed a single thing about his game since he came into the AHL. By all accounts and people I've talked to he has an amazing work ethic but he should at best be a no. 4 on the depth chart. Maybe for a rebuilding team you have Miska as the starter showing the rookie goalie what pro work ethic looks like but he doesn't have the reads, the reactions, the patience, the tracking, the size, and doesn't have the agility/mobility to make up for any of that at the NHL level. Anyone who has watched Miska over the past three seasons should understand every red flag that comes with him. Sometimes it just happens to all work out for a goalie in any league and they get lucky for a year. Miska was one of the worst AHL goalies for his first two years, had to take an AHL deal, went on a tear, got a NHL deal and fooled everyone in the Avs organization to trust him as the no. 3 goalie. Miska needs to do a severe overhaul and change in his game to find anything related to success at the NHL level.

Traditionally your no. 3 goalie needs to have some kind of NHL skills so your team defense can insulate them. There's no way to insulate Miska and his interpretive crease breakdancing. The Avs gave him one of the easiest shot quality loads in the league and Miska still hasn't posted one game where he saved more goals than expected (All strengths) via Natural Stat Trick. There's a lot of respect for Hunter Miska the person in the goalie community for the hard work he put in and how he managed to earn himself a NHL deal. There's also a lot of "this guy isn't anywhere near the NHL and having him as your no. 3 is a disaster waiting to happen" even from his biggest fans.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Everything about Miska's game says "No NHL skills" especially mentally. Miska hasn't changed a single thing about his game since he came into the AHL. By all accounts and people I've talked to he has an amazing work ethic but he should at best be a no. 4 on the depth chart. Maybe for a rebuilding team you have Miska as the starter showing the rookie goalie what pro work ethic looks like but he doesn't have the reads, the reactions, the patience, the tracking, the size, and doesn't have the agility/mobility to make up for any of that at the NHL level. Anyone who has watched Miska over the past three seasons should understand every red flag that comes with him. Sometimes it just happens to all work out for a goalie in any league and they get lucky for a year. Miska was one of the worst AHL goalies for his first two years, had to take an AHL deal, went on a tear, got a NHL deal and fooled everyone in the Avs organization to trust him as the no. 3 goalie. Miska needs to do a severe overhaul and change in his game to find anything related to success at the NHL level.

Traditionally your no. 3 goalie needs to have some kind of NHL skills so your team defense can insulate them. There's no way to insulate Miska and his interpretive crease breakdancing. The Avs gave him one of the easiest shot quality loads in the league and Miska still hasn't posted one game where he saved more goals than expected (All strengths) via Natural Stat Trick. There's a lot of respect for Hunter Miska the person in the goalie community for the hard work he put in and how he managed to earn himself a NHL deal. There's also a lot of "this guy isn't anywhere near the NHL and having him as your no. 3 is a disaster waiting to happen" even from his biggest fans.

Good insight as always, thank you.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
I can't agree there. Moser is probably the worst play-by-play guy in the league. Hayes was bottom 5-10, but Moser is literally the worst. His constant bitching about penalties is enough, then his scissor nonsense thrown in...

EnCfpRVW4AAqvq-.jpg

Really?

I think Sam Rosen for the Rangers is way worse. I think there are some awesome guys in Canada and on the West Coast.

But on the East Coast, where they have millions of people in each city, the announcers are all terrible. Listen to Jack Edwards, Benninati, Butch Goring. They are not pleasant to hear.

I have to admit, I did listen to the Arizona broadcast with Tyson Nash and Biz Nasty tonight. They are definitely better than Moser and Mcnab. I have to mix it up.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like an epic fail in assessment from the org.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I would say that Avs have evolved more and that has been the cycle game. In the 90s, it was all about the cycling game in regards to toughness. Nowadays, or especially with the Avs, the cycle game involves a lot of transition between players at different positions alongside with very mobile defenders. This is how the Avs were able to come in "waves" against the Wild and how the Coyotes seemed more manageable against it in the second game of the series.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Really?

I think Sam Rosen for the Rangers is way worse. I think there are some awesome guys in Canada and on the West Coast.

But on the East Coast, where they have millions of people in each city, the announcers are all terrible. Listen to Jack Edwards, Benninati, Butch Goring. They are not pleasant to hear.

I have to admit, I did listen to the Arizona broadcast with Tyson Nash and Biz Nasty tonight. They are definitely better than Moser and Mcnab. I have to mix it up.

Tyson Nash is one of many announcers that is just as big, if not a bigger homer than Moser/McNab though. I honestly don't get this criticism, because there's so many guys that are blatantly worse than Moser in this regard.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tyson Nash is one of many announcers that is just as big, if not a bigger homer than Moser/McNab though. I honestly don't get this criticism, because there's so many guys that are blatantly worse than Moser in this regard.

Nash is a clown. He was one of the guys giggling when Girard got sucker punched and then defending it after the fact.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
While some NHL teams getting vaccinated, Avalanche still aren’t one

Maybe because they don't have more than 1 day between games the rest of the season, and can't afford to have 3/4 the whole team all out due to symptoms after the 2nd dose? Not to mention most of the team has had it already, either during the pause last season, the offseason, or during their pause this season.
Imagine something like what is happening to the Canucks would happen to the Avs during the playoffs.

Everything ruined.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Imagine something like what is happening to the Canucks would happen to the Avs during the playoffs.

Everything ruined.
You do it like the Rangers do, vaccinate the team ASAP when it's available to them. If that means playing one or two games sore, fine. The alternate possibility is losing the whole season, especially if it happens during the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad