News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It could always be be worse, but that's not really relevant as it's all subjective. Does the fact that somewhere else in the world racism is much more severe negate what a black man or women may experience in America/western society? No. Thinking it does just leads to complacency.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

The Dater question on YouTube. It's even funnier than I imagined. Great reaction by EJ :laugh:

Yup. That said, Finland is still VERY white, so that does influence these things.

Anyway, shouldn't we be discussing some terrible Adrian Dater article?

Just watching this again. Oh man that question at 3:48 by Chambers to EJ too.

After a long winded lead up, "I'm curious if you feel a little bit better because you don't have any power play responsibilities and you can just go out there and kill penalties and do what you do at even strength?"

Why the hell would he feel better about not getting any PP time?

Perfect answer by EJ afterwards though. Even got Grubby pumped up. He looked at him and said "nice" or something like that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It could always be be worse, but that's not really relevant as it's all subjective. Does the fact that somewhere else in the world racism is much more severe negate what a black man or women may experience in America/western society? No. Thinking it does just leads to complacency.

Please don't narrow down my point to it could always be worse lol. I think I've been way more articulate than that. Especially when lots of people have given their lives for it not to be worse.

Also never said anything is negated. Just that there is some hypocrisy in someone talking about racism, and then tagging white people (which is a group made up of a lot of different cultures) with stereotypes.

Well, one of my points anyway..

Does this person want a conversation? Or just a group of people to blame? I think I know the answer to that.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Gotta admit, I did not expect to come to this thread and find out I'm a racist because I'm uninterested in certain articles.

But f*** it, 2020 is weird.

We're all racist bastards apparently. I'll have to apologize to my non-white friends and tell my parents they did a horrible job.

Reactions: S E P H

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We're all racist bastards apparently. I'll have to apologize to my non-white friends and tell my parents they did a horrible job.

Well my Asian girlfriend who grew up poor as hell (like mom cooking squirrel for breakfast before the bus) agrees with me, and found my question about "white" being the only color on the demographic list interesting. So not every person with darker skin than me thinks it's ok to be racist against white people because some people's ancestors were dicks. Btw, she is more educated, and makes more money than me. Who knew that was possible, especially as a woman? And I do pretty well.

There is hope, just need more talk, and less entitlement on both sides. You know because we can stop holding a skin color accountable for the KKK, or people holding riots in order to get free shit.

Maybe they are just shitty people.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You tend to bring it out of me when you post garbage like that.
So you want to bully me and call me stupid for having diversity of thought? That's quite tolerant of you...

E: People having diversity of thought (getting rid of slavery as opposed to it being the norm) is what eventually lead to America fighting the Civil War to abolish slavery in the first place.

As for the video, it's a joke with some truth behind it. Not of all it is true and not all of it is rubbish as you say.

Last edited:
Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So you want to bully me and call me stupid for having diversity of thought? That's quite tolerant of you...

As for the video, it's a joke with some truth behind it. Not of all it is true and not all of it is rubbish as you say.

I think he set himself off (yeah), and wasn't willing to put in the time to actually argue the point this time. It's a difficult subject, but I think most of us have tried to approach it with articulate responses.

You go and throw humor into the mix lol. I thought it was apt, but it's hard to respond to something that on the nose when you're angry.

I'll give him credit for pointing things out, but clearly this time he wasn't willing to engage in a meaningful way.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You're 100% absolutely correct, but devaluing it at the same time isn't the appropriate response either. Black people in China are more subjected to racism by the population/government than a Black bloke in North America (even though racism also exists here).

China: Covid-19 Discrimination Against Africans
China says it has a 'zero-tolerance policy' for racism, but attacks on Africans go back decades - CNN
The coronavirus crisis has exposed China's long history of racism | Hsiao-Hung Pai

Yet "Western Culture" is deemed the most evil by pretty much every single person who classifies themselves as SJW or Woke. It's the same naive argument by Environmentalists saying that America is destroying the Earth yet allow India and China to do whatever they want. Hell, there are parts of China, Mongolia, and Russia which still utilises steam engines as transportation.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You're 100% absolutely correct, but devaluing it at the same time isn't the appropriate response either. Black people in China are more subjected to racism by the population/government than a Black bloke in North America (even though racism also exists here).

China: Covid-19 Discrimination Against Africans
China says it has a 'zero-tolerance policy' for racism, but attacks on Africans go back decades - CNN
The coronavirus crisis has exposed China's long history of racism | Hsiao-Hung Pai

Yet "Western Culture" is deemed the most evil by pretty much every single person who classifies themselves as SJW or Woke.

Why was I tagged in this lol? That is interesting though. I tried not to make my point that simple by articulating my responses.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Merely an accident.

I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy in this discussion around the world and in the US. I'm German by decent. So great, am I supposed to be both a Jew hater and a racist automatically? That frustrates me a lot. It really isn't fair, and I've done nothing to no one.

I mean these days in the US a lot of racism is based on preconceived bias. I'm not allowed to feel at least a little dejected or frustrated by it? I fought and served along side people of many colors, and I'm defensive of what my country has accomplished. I don't like being told, I, or my country sucks.

I'm cool with addressing issues, and pushing to be better, but neither given respect or reverence bothers me a little.

Reactions: Foppberg

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Why is it remotely acceptable to tag someone with "privilege" due to their skin color? Stereotype
This is a common misunderstanding. Having privilege does not make you a bad person. It's not an attack to say you have it. As a straight, white, middle class male, I am as privileged as it gets, but it's not something to be ashamed of. I was born with it.

What privilege does is give you a warped perspective on others who don't have it. As a man, I don't have to worry about being raped walking around at night, that's just a problem I don't have. Acknowledgement of the fact that I DO have that privilege simply means that I understand that for women, taking a walk at night can be dangerous in a way that it isn't for me. It doesn't mean I'm guilty for not being afraid and should do penance for not being rapeable, that's a strawman, and it just pushes people into being defensive when the point of the concept is to just broaden your horizons in a way that encompasses the experiences of other people that you might not think about in your daily life.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just think there is a lot of hypocrisy in this discussion around the world and in the US. I'm German by decent. So great, am I supposed to be both a Jew hater and a racist automatically? That frustrates me a lot. It really isn't fair, and I've done nothing to no one.

I mean these days in the US a lot of racism is based on preconceived bias. I'm not allowed to feel at least a little dejected or frustrated by it? I fought and served along side people of many colors, and I'm defensive of what my country has accomplished. I don't like being told, I, or my country sucks.

I'm cool with addressing issues, and pushing to be better, but neither given respect or reverence bothers me a little.

I'm descended from slave owners and Confederate soldiers. Doesn't mean I'm responsible for what they did, but no one's saying I am. It is important to acknowledge our past though, and acknowledge that maybe our ancestors and some usually-revered figures in our history don't quite deserve the honor we bestow upon them. It's time to cast a more scrutinizing eye upon our history, and how our country was built, otherwise we'll never fix what's broken because we'll just keep repeating the same cycles. The US is a country founded upon the notion of freedom. We should have the freedom to question everything. No, strike that--WE DO have the freedom to question everything. There's nothing wrong with using that right.

For the record, I get people are uncomfortable with my rhetoric. I know for certain a few of y'all are sick of it. I feel the exact same way. But...I'm just not laughing off this kinda stuff anymore. I used to do that all the time, and now I look back and realize I was part of the problem. I don't want to be like that anymore. It might get me banned someday, and that's okay. I promise if that happens I'm just gonna very peacefully move on with my life. I've got some monumental life changes on the horizon soon (nothing bad, I promise) and if nothing else, this tumultuous year has taught me that I don't need sports as much as I thought I did. There are more important things to talk about, especially things I don't want to talk about.

My old man and my grandfather (BTW, he was racist too, but then was confronted by a daughter who married a black man and a son who married a Korean woman, and kinda had to change his ways...and he did, he and I were very close) served as well, Army and Marines, respectively. Not going to sit here and say that anyone who wore the uniform(s) fought for a shitty country or cause. The only ones who did that were those guys wearing gray uniforms from 1861-1865 in this country, and they were the enemy. America at the end of the day is an idea, and a good one when executed properly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of times we didn't execute properly, especially right now. Like a team of engineers who suffered a setback, we should acknowledge that and learn from it, design something better.

I have lived a nice, peaceful, comfortable, successful life. And I'm not taking a shred of credit for it either. I've been given a damn good hand. I'd like for a lot of other people here to get that too. And that's entirely possible...we just have to acknowledge a few very obvious and basic wrongs.

Does America suck? It certainly hasn't for me. For some people? Yeah, I think it does. We should look into fixing that.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is a common misunderstanding. Having privilege does not make you a bad person. It's not an attack to say you have it. As a straight, white, middle class male, I am as privileged as it gets, but it's not something to be ashamed of. I was born with it.

What privilege does is give you a warped perspective on others who don't have it. As a man, I don't have to worry about being raped walking around at night, that's just a problem I don't have. Acknowledgement of the fact that I DO have that privilege simply means that I understand that for women, taking a walk at night can be dangerous in a way that it isn't for me. It doesn't mean I'm guilty for not being afraid and should do penance for not being rapeable, that's a strawman, and it just pushes people into being defensive when the point of the concept is to just broaden your horizons in a way that encompasses the experiences of other people that you might not think about in your daily life.

Yes, but I've both taken a walk at night in a black community, and a white community. Which do you think I adamantly concealed carried?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes, but I've both taken a walk at night in a black community, and a white community. Which do you think I adamantly concealed carried?

Okay, but let me ask you--you think there might be a reason that an impoverished black neighborhood might be prone to criminal activity? I don't think they all just up and said "Yep, we're gonna engage in violent crime now, look out!"

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm descended from slave owners and Confederate soldiers. Doesn't mean I'm responsible for what they did, but no one's saying I am. It is important to acknowledge our past though, and acknowledge that maybe our ancestors and some usually-revered figures in our history don't quite deserve the honor we bestow upon them. It's time to cast a more scrutinizing eye upon our history, and how our country was built, otherwise we'll never fix what's broken because we'll just keep repeating the same cycles. The US is a country founded upon the notion of freedom. We should have the freedom to question everything. No, strike that--WE DO have the freedom to question everything. There's nothing wrong with using that right.

For the record, I get people are uncomfortable with my rhetoric. I know for certain a few of y'all are sick of it. I feel the exact same way. But...I'm just not laughing off this kinda stuff anymore. I used to do that all the time, and now I look back and realize I was part of the problem. I don't want to be like that anymore. It might get me banned someday, and that's okay. I promise if that happens I'm just gonna very peacefully move on with my life. I've got some monumental life changes on the horizon soon (nothing bad, I promise) and if nothing else, this tumultuous year has taught me that I don't need sports as much as I thought I did. There are more important things to talk about, especially things I don't want to talk about.

My old man and my grandfather (BTW, he was racist too, but then was confronted by a daughter who married a black man and a son who married a Korean woman, and kinda had to change his ways...and he did, he and I were very close) served as well, Army and Marines, respectively. Not going to sit here and say that anyone who wore the uniform(s) fought for a shitty country or cause. The only ones who did that were those guys wearing gray uniforms from 1861-1865 in this country, and they were the enemy. America at the end of the day is an idea, and a good one when executed properly. Unfortunately, there are a lot of times we didn't execute properly, especially right now. Like a team of engineers who suffered a setback, we should acknowledge that and learn from it, design something better.

I have lived a nice, peaceful, comfortable, successful life. And I'm not taking a shred of credit for it either. I've been given a damn good hand. I'd like for a lot of other people here to get that too. And that's entirely possible...we just have to acknowledge a few very obvious and basic wrongs.

Does America suck? It certainly hasn't for me. For some people? Yeah, I think it does. We should look into fixing that.

I love this post. Thank you for giving our country credit for its progression. I faught for it.

You just cannot make legitimate arguments while spilling stereotypes yourself. Keep it clean, and use the legitimate ammunition you have. It keeps me from feeling like my sacrifice is less than for a less than idea. We can absolutely question our country while giving it the respect due, and valuing what we have that is so far above others. Be tasteful, articulate, and succinct. Don't be broad, encompassing, and overreaching.

We can point out where we can be better without a burn the flag mentality. I know it creates a higher level of shock, but some things are off limits, and as an American you should respect that. As I should respect your right to speak out.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's not the point at all. Privilege is in the things you DON'T think about on a daily basis. When I go walk my dog at night, I don't have to remember to grab my pepper spray. That's not a concern of mine. I don't think about it every day, and that makes me lucky. Just like some people have to teach their children to always make sure the police can see their hands, and you probably have never thought to impart that lesson.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Okay, but let me ask you--you think there might be a reason that an impoverished black neighborhood might be prone to criminal activity? I don't think they all just up and said "Yep, we're gonna engage in violent crime now, look out!"

Fair, but the other side responds to how they are treated, viewed, and interacted with.

There is a problem on both sides, not just one.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's not the point at all. Privilege is in the things you DON'T think about on a daily basis. When I go walk my dog at night, I don't have to remember to grab my pepper spray. That's not a concern of mine. I don't think about it every day, and that makes me lucky. Just like some people have to teach their children to always make sure the police can see their hands, and you probably have never thought to impart that lesson.

If you don't feel this way, make more money, go to school, shut your face book down if needed, and move. And this comment comes from something said to me by a minority person I'm close to, not my own sentiment, but I agree with it.

Also, I'm white as your sheets. I joined the Army two weeks after HS, made my own career and life despite having a middle class up bringing. There was no money for college coming, or support past 18. My parents fed me, and that was pretty much it. I made my own way.

My girlfriend did the same thing from a poor family basically, and she is more well off than I am. That's what we have available to us in the US. Which is unique..

It could be better, but it is there. And it's not in a lot of other places in this world. I faught for that, it matters to me, I'm defensive of it, and I understand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ndmd99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad