News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Wrong as usual. That's another gaslighting tactic. It's the very reason institutionalized racism has existed in this country since its inception. No one can ever bring up racism because doing so is somehow racist. This always takes the form of tactics like my very favorite "Oh, he/she's playing the RACE CARD!" and others like it. So we can never solve racism, because to even bring it up is some how racist, right? Perfect. Therefore we never fix it, we never confront it, and we never even talk about it. We just act like it doesn't exist. That's easy for white people to do, not so easy for people who have to deal with it every day.

And I'm callin' bullshit on your little "I don't see color" mentality. No one asked you to make some huge deal of it every time you see someone with a different skin color than you, but don't act like you see humanity as some nondescript, homogeneous blob.

All due respect for someone who believes they live in a region where racism doesn't exist (I bet that's not true in the slightest) you sure seem to be an expert on it.

Question for you.

Why are white people the only people who don't have a regional identification on any demographic list?

African American
Asian
Native American
White

And it's not easy to ignore as a "white person" not even a little bit.

Also when a group of black people beat up a white person, why is it not a hate crime or a racist act?

Punish people that do dumb shit, and move the f*** on. Don't burn down my city, and defund police because a stupid cop used excessive force. Well, more likely using it as an excuse to get free shit, and get out of the house during Covid.

Reactions: LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wrong as usual. That's another gaslighting tactic. It's the very reason institutionalized racism has existed in this country since its inception. No one can ever bring up racism because doing so is somehow racist. This always takes the form of tactics like my very favorite "Oh, he/she's playing the RACE CARD!" and others like it. So we can never solve racism, because to even bring it up is some how racist, right? Perfect. Therefore we never fix it, we never confront it, and we never even talk about it. We just act like it doesn't exist. That's easy for white people to do, not so easy for people who have to deal with it every day.

And I'm callin' bullshit on your little "I don't see color" mentality. No one asked you to make some huge deal of it every time you see someone with a different skin color than you, but don't act like you see humanity as some nondescript, homogeneous blob.

All due respect for someone who believes they live in a region where racism doesn't exist (I bet that's not true in the slightest) you sure seem to be an expert on it.
Oh sod off. Taking the race into the equation is absolutely racism. We should be talking about humans, not about blacks, asians, whites etc. Hell, not even about gender.

If you are talking about a PEB as a black hockey player instead of being a hockey player for the Avs, YOU are a flat out racist. It's as simple as that.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Question for you.

Why are white people the only people who don't have a regional identification on any demographic list?

African American
Asian
Native American
White

Also when a group of black people beat up a white person, why is it not a hate crime or a racist act?

Punish people that do dumb shit, and move the f*** on. Don't burn down my city, and defund police because a stupid cop used excessive force. Well, more likely using it as an excuse to get free shit, and get out of the house during Covid.
It sounds like you understand the generations of systemic oppression for minorities in this country. I'm obviously not going to change anyones mind in here but, theres a reason. Just because you dont see it in your everyday life, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Reactions: Avs91 and MaKarter

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Oh sod off. Taking the race into the equation is absolutely racism. We should be talking about humans, not about blacks, asians, whites etc. Hell, not even about gender.

If you are talking about a PEB as a black hockey player instead of being a hockey player for the Avs, YOU are a flat out racist. It's as simple as that.
When someone asks you to support breast cancer do you tell them to sod off I only support all cancer?

Reactions: oxenfree and Avs91

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming

Are you f***ing kidding me? PEB IS a black hockey player. That’s part of his identity. Whether he has encountered and dealt with racism growing up in France (which I’m sure he has to some degree), absolutely matter. YOU are the racist for not trying to learn about other people and empathizing with them. Holy... :facepalm:

Reactions: oxenfree and S3rkie

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also, here's Z throwing shade at ESPN

ESPN trying to get cute and Z's like....

giphy.gif

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Are you f***ing kidding me? PEB IS a black hockey player. That’s part of his identity. Whether he has encountered and dealt with racism growing up in France (which I’m sure he has to some degree), absolutely matter. YOU are the racist for not trying to learn about other people and empathizing with them. Holy... :facepalm:
I dont think about him as a black hockey player. I think about him as a French hockey player. You just proved my point. You bring race into the equation, and can't think of him as a normal person. That smells like racism to me.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Was it Dater that asked that question? I saw a bunch of speculation it was Chambers on twitter but didnt hear it in the post game clips the avs posted.

EDIT: NM just saw the youtube clip, and it def was AD. Thats brutal but I'm assuming he was phoned in with no video feed.
They must be interviewing from a different room in Edmonton but I’d imagine the video is at least up for them there. I’m surprised Dater didn’t get hyper defensive about it yet which maybe it was his bad.

Chambers has consistently been the worst though. That question to Namestnikov about why does he speak English so well for a Russian is easily an example that exists of Russian racism in the sport. If we are openly considering racial issues in today’s world of sport, that’s one I wish would get addressed as well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Lol, thanks I guess :D

Clark gives effort, he cares about his job which is a stark contrast to what we usually get. But he doesn’t have the depth of knowledge to analyze the game. He also does not offer any kind of informed speculation or opinion, which is what reporters do. He writes thousands of words about free agents but it always comes down to “the Avs could sign him or they might not”. There’s absolutely no critical thinking in his pieces about Eagles/development. It’s all too often comes off as PR straight from the team which they love having no additional info, details, etc. The long pieces with quotes from parents and youth coaches were good but that well has been hit up a few times already. The top reporters from other teams know what’s going on in all facets of the org and can have a discussion on long and short term issues. Clark couldn’t even venture a guess if they’ll sign Cam Morrison or not. I realize he has been at this two years and those things take a while to build up but that’s where the top of the bar is and he’s been around the team long enough you have to do reporting outside of what’s given straight from PR.

I don't disagree that he is a much better writer than he is an analyst. He's still the best beat writer the Avs have ever had, which people can take for what it's worth. I don't agree that he comes off like a PR schill though. Have the Avs really done anything of late that warrants heightened scrutiny? There was one incident in particular that I still take exception to regarding a pre-game ceremony last year I think, but I'm not going to call out Clark for not confronting them on that. I kinda wish someone had though.

I suppose the Altitude saga should have gotten a little more scrutiny on both sides, I really can't recall what has been said by local media types anywhere on it.

Conversely, Russo and Portzline have had a hell of a lot more to write about simply because the respective organizations they cover have had a hell of a lot more going on. Russo especially because the Wylde, despite their mediocre on-ice product, have had a lot of turmoil behind the scenes, certainly in the last year or so with the Paul Fenton saga.

But where I'm not at all with you is that it's somehow distracted him from Avs coverage. What great pieces is he missing out on while the Avs are in quarantine (and therefore not readily available for media interviews) and doing absolutely nothing but eating, drinking, sleeping, practicing, playing, and engaging in the occasional Cornhole match?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I mean... there really isn't any way that Dater looked at the faces of the people there and thought "yeah that's Nazem".

Yeah for all of Dater's faults, he clearly knows what Kadri, EJ, Mikko, and Grubauer look like.

He said they told him Kadri would be there, so he probably wasn't looking at the video feed while asking the question or the feed wasn't clear enough.

Still a funny moment though. Dater really does have the worst luck. :laugh:

Reactions: UncleRisto

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Don't burn down my city, and defund police because a stupid cop used excessive force.
The problem is not 1 stupid cop. The problem is an inherently racist system that has repeated discrimination against people of color.

The first police force in America was created in the south after black slaves were freed. Police were originally created to"protect" white people from black people. You can still see how the system mimics that today.

Reactions: S3rkie and Avs91

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Clark gives effort, he cares about his job which is a stark contrast to what we usually get. But he doesn’t have the depth of knowledge to analyze the game. He also does not offer any kind of informed speculation or opinion, which is what reporters do. He writes thousands of words about free agents but it always comes down to “the Avs could sign him or they might not”. There’s absolutely no critical thinking in his pieces about Eagles/development. It’s all too often comes off as PR straight from the team which they love having no additional info, details, etc. The long pieces with quotes from parents and youth coaches were good but that well has been hit up a few times already. The top reporters from other teams know what’s going on in all facets of the org and can have a discussion on long and short term issues. Clark couldn’t even venture a guess if they’ll sign Cam Morrison or not. I realize he has been at this two years and those things take a while to build up but that’s where the top of the bar is and he’s been around the team long enough you have to do reporting outside of what’s given straight from PR.

Clark's style is more suitable for writing a weekly column in a prestigious media than to be the beat guy for a hockey team.

He's obviously nothing like Russo or Portzline but I really don't think that's what he wants to do. I don't see him sticking around for long, his passion is clearly elsewhere and he's a good writer.

The biggest losers are Avs fans.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
I dont think about him as a black hockey player. I think about him as a French hockey player. You just proved my point. You bring race into the equation, and can't think of him as a normal person. That smells like racism to me.

Wow. You need to seriously reevaluate your priorities. And you’re wrong, I can celebrate him as a black hockey player. Which happens to be normal, mind you.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They must be interviewing from a different room in Edmonton but I’d imagine the video is at least up for them there. I’m surprised Dater didn’t get hyper defensive about it yet which maybe it was his bad.

Chambers has consistently been the worst though. That question to Namestnikov about why does he speak English so well for a Russian is easily an example that exists of Russian racism in the sport. If we are openly considering racial issues in today’s world of sport, that’s one I wish would get addressed as well.

Chambers should have been fired the moment he issued that veiled "MMA is legal" threat online. He's a two-bit hack and always has been. I absolutely groan any time NHL Radio brings him on. What's funny is, he probably knows way more about hockey in general than Clark, and yet when Clark is brought on, he's ten times better to listen to.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Personally I don't expect any hockey writer to provide an in depth analysis that we as die hard hockey fans wouldn't know already.

Other reporters may guess at things like whether they'll sign Cam Morrison or not, but those other reporters are wrong a lot when they do that, because they're just guessing with little to no information. A reporter covering the Avs has even less information to go off, and personally I'm not that interested in reading reporters guesses.

Clark does a better job than the other main reporters in providing backstories for prospects, or lesser known subjects. That's the kinds of stuff I'd rather read at this point.

Reactions: McMetal and S3rkie

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It sounds like you understand the generations of systemic oppression for minorities in this country. I'm obviously not going to change anyones mind in here but, theres a reason. Just because you dont see it in your everyday life, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Humans of different groups tend to hold bias against other groups. Race, religion, etc. Having been to multiple third world countries I'd say we're doing pretty good in the US, but can always do better.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
This is exactly part of the problem. Ignoring races because you don’t have to deal with it doesn’t mean there isn’t racism, and you’re not part of the solution. (Speaking from my ‘reality’ here in America).
What if my self-efficacy and political efficacy beliefs indicate that I can't, or don't have the necessary expertise, to achieve change or reliably gauge the effects of such efforts?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Personally I don't expect any hockey writer to provide an in depth analysis that we as die hard hockey fans wouldn't know already.

Other reporters may guess at things like whether they'll sign Cam Morrison or not, but those other reporters are wrong a lot when they do that, because they're just guessing with little to no information. A reporter covering the Avs has even less information to go off, and personally I'm not that interested in reading reporters guesses.

Clark does a better job than the other main reporters in providing backstories for prospects, or lesser known subjects. That's the kinds of stuff I'd rather read at this point.
yep he's ahead of the game by a long shot when it comes to actual stories not just articles. I look at it like hes a journalist in a small crowd of avs reporters. Same reason I have a DNVR and an Athletic subscription. I thoroughly enjoy both for vastly different reasons.

Reactions: Foppa2118

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO

African American
Asian
Native American
White

This is also a problem. If a "white" person is feeling hurt or confused for just being grouped into a demographic that has historically been privileged, imagine how a person of color feels for being part of a group that is historically discriminated against.

It can be hard for a white person to realize if they have been privileged, then maybe they don't deserve everything they have gotten. It seems like an attack on white people when really it is just reality that people of color have more difficulties.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Wow. You need to seriously reevaluate your priorities. And you’re wrong, I can celebrate him as a black hockey player. Which happens to be normal, mind you.
I just don't think that should be neccessary in 2020. He should be viewed like the rest of us (I assume you are white), not taking the race into equation.

HFBoards did a good decission earlier when they banned politics and bringing this stuff up is just annoying. Let's talk hockey now, go Avs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Oh come on, that's not racism. The reason he speaks like that is because he grew up in Michigan and Chambers wasn't aware. There's nothing wrong with asking someone why his second language is so good.

If someone from the US (for example) comes to me and speaks fluent French you can bet that I'm going to ask them why their French is that good.

Reactions: UncleRisto

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't disagree that he is a much better writer than he is an analyst. He's still the best beat writer the Avs have ever had, which people can take for what it's worth. I don't agree that he comes off like a PR schill though. Have the Avs really done anything of late that warrants heightened scrutiny? There was one incident in particular that I still take exception to regarding a pre-game ceremony last year I think, but I'm not going to call out Clark for not confronting them on that. I kinda wish someone had though.

I suppose the Altitude saga should have gotten a little more scrutiny on both sides, I really can't recall what has been said by local media types anywhere on it.

Conversely, Russo and Portzline have had a hell of a lot more to write about simply because the respective organizations they cover have had a hell of a lot more going on. Russo especially because the Wylde, despite their mediocre on-ice product, have had a lot of turmoil behind the scenes, certainly in the last year or so with the Paul Fenton saga.

But where I'm not at all with you is that it's somehow distracted him from Avs coverage. What great pieces is he missing out on while the Avs are in quarantine (and therefore not readily available for media interviews) and doing absolutely nothing but eating, drinking, sleeping, practicing, playing, and engaging in the occasional Cornhole match?
The development system absolutely needs criticism and he doubles down with fluff pieces on it, but that’s a whole other topic. He didn’t do the prospect profiles with Wheeler and I asked Wheeler about it and he said Clark has a lot on his plate right now. He only attended occasional days of training camp. I agree right now there’s not a whole lot to report on from the bubble but there’s stories like Kamenev’s absence, Colin Wilson’s disappearance, Kaut not playing in Europe, Cam Morrison’s signing deadline, Byram’s future next year, Barberio Switzerland rumor, Igor’s contract termination just to name a few. We all know these things (except Kamenev which he broke to be fair but I asked him if he has any extra details like was it conditioning or mutual and he said word for word the tweet again so that sounds like a PR drop to me) from mostly our own twitter digging.

Look I don’t want to rip on Clark, I don’t question the effort as I’ve said. I just feel like he’s got a long way to go as a reporter and especially the top reporter for this team.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ha ha ha, I am not even going to respond to something so blatantly and willfully ignorant. The stench of white privilege is too unbearable for words.

Reactions: Avs91

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Oh come on, that's not racism. The reason he speaks like that is because he grew up in Michigan and Chambers wasn't aware. There's nothing wrong with asking someone why his second language is so good.

If someone from the US (for example) comes to me and speaks fluent French you can bet that I'm going to ask them why their French is that good.
Your getting the two conversations that are intertwined mixed up ha he was just saying that Chambers is worse than Dater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad