Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fair, but the other side responds to how they are treated, viewed, and interacted with.

There is a problem on both sides, not just one.

No one said the other side was perfect, plenty of flaws there--but we should question where a lot of those flaws originated from. In impoverished areas, there just aren't many, if any, alternatives.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
No one is entitled to anything other than the the clothes the put on their own back in life, and our country has provided an environment where anything is possible if you fight hard enough

So don't tell me we suck.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
To be clear... there are a lot of countries other than the US that offer great opportunity for citizens. Not that it’s not something to be proud of, but it’s not unique. At all.

It's not unique, but it should be and is a basic standard for all developed countries. America just has a more diverse set of pathways to take than other places due sheer size and industry

We also made it a thing

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If you don't feel this way, make more money, go to school, shut your face book down if needed, and move. And this comment comes from something said to me by a minority person I'm close to, not my own sentiment, but I agree with it.

Also, I'm white as your sheets. I joined the Army two weeks after HS, made my own career and life despite having a middle class up bringing. There was no money for college coming, or support past 18. My parents fed me, and that was pretty much it. I made my own way.

My girlfriend did the same thing from a poor family basically, and she is more well off than I am. That's what we have available to us in the US. Which is unique..

It could be better, but it is there. And it's not in a lot of other places in this world. I faught for that, it matters to me, I'm defensive of it, and I understand it.
I'm sorry you feel attacked. I was trying to point out that having your privilege pointed out is not an indictment of your character, it's merely an invitation to take in other perspectives. Regardless, this is just getting too heated.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It's not unique, but it should be and is a basic standard for all developed countries. America just has a more diverse set of pathways to take than other places due sheer size and industry

We also made it a thing

The US made what ‘a thing’ exactly?

Democracy? Because that came from Athens, Greece.

Western Europe was also the first place in the world to be industrialized.

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm sorry you feel attacked. I was trying to point out that having your privilege pointed out is not an indictment of your character, it's merely an invitation to take in other perspectives. Regardless, this is just getting too heated.

I wasn't that privaleged though, and the assumption that I was because I am white offends me. I grew up middle class, but my mom grew up on a potato farm in North Dakota, and my dad poor as dirt in California. They elevated themselves, and I intend to elevate myself by actually providing my kids with some college money by saving regularly.

Sorry, not ok with being vilified due my, and my parents hard work.

Also being German immigrants starting from nothing.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The US made what ‘a thing’ exactly?

Democracy? Because that came from Athens, Greece.

Western Europe was also the first place in the world to be industrialized.

That's creative, but I'm talking this era lol.

America has done some wrong, but as a progressive country we stand above. In a lot of ways.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You know I served with an African gentleman that knew how to make amazing curry like no one else.

He told me that.. America is difficult to live in, as everything you want you have to earn. Yet it is amazing because everything you earn or work for you keep.

We were deployed, and hes telling me. Man it's crazy, as I can do my job, and my family is safe every day. All I have to worry about is my job. It's pretty cool, and I laugh at my wife for the ridiculous things she brings home from Target to show me. He told me he is so thankful all he has to do is serve four years in the Army to get his entire family citizenship. Yet we're both on a night patrol in Iraq and earlier were in a short firefight.

I asked, but you're risking your life? He says to me.. Shit this was a Sunday in my part of town Barnes.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wasn't that privaleged though, and the assumption that I was because I am white offends me. I grew up middle class, but my mom grew up on a potato farm in North Dakota, and my dad poor as dirt in California. They elevated themselves, and I intend to elevate myself by actually providing my kids with some college money by saving regularly.

Sorry, not ok with being vilified due my, and my parents hard work.

Also being German immigrants starting from nothing.
That's what I'm trying to say though: privilege is not a crime. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, and by no means does it imply you don't deserve what you have or that your work is invalid.

The ONLY thing that privilege does is give you a set of assumptions about the world that may not be correct. Nobody's experience in life is universal, and the narrow concept of privilege is simply a way to step outside of our own lives and look at the world through someone else's eyes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That's what I'm trying to say though: privilege is not a crime. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, and by no means does it imply you don't deserve what you have or that your work is invalid.

The ONLY thing that privilege does is give you a set of assumptions about the world that may not be correct. Nobody's experience in life is universal, and the narrow concept of privilege is simply a way to step outside of our own lives and look at the world through someone else's eyes.

Yes but it is automatically used against me. Even though I've lived in 6 different states, deployed three times, one of which was a year living among the people in Iraq, yet because I'm white apparently I'm privileged.

I bled, and have earned every dollar and bit of respect that I have in my life. I take exception to the idea that I or America sucks in any way because I'm White, or Amaerica can do better.

Racism isn't an American problem. It's a societal problem, and I'm proud to say we've done a lot to get better just in my life time. Just because a few people suck, that does not mean what I've faught for, and what thos country has done is meaningless, and that we suck as a country.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's creative, but I'm talking this era lol.

America has done some wrong, but as a progressive country we stand above. In a lot of ways.
I agree with all of that. America was founded on objectively noble ideas. We have, at times, failed to live up to them. But the people who laid the foundations for us didn't say their work was perfect: the words "a MORE perfect union" are aspirational, and we should be continuing that work.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I agree with all of that. America was founded on objectively noble ideas. We have, at times, failed to live up to them. But the people who laid the foundations for us didn't say their work was perfect: the words "a MORE perfect union" are aspirational, and we should be continuing that work.

Thank you, and our flag is representative of that idea. People who burn it are thinking they are making a point, but spitting on so many others.

They just don't understand or appreciate where they are, or what it took to get to this point. All voices should be heard, but there is no need to devalue hard faught history in order to do it. MLK did it the right way, this generation not so much.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
There is an interesting discussion there, maybe tomorrow lol.

It’s just that some of your posts come off as thinking that the United States is vastly superior to other countries. Let me know if I’m way off base.

As a Canadian, I don’t believe my country is better than other countries. I’m grateful for living hear, but there are strengths and weaknesses to all countries.

I think it’s always important to recognize that we can strive for betterment in society.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It’s just that some of your posts come off as thinking that the United States is vastly superior to other countries. Let me know if I’m way off base.

As a Canadian, I don’t believe my country is better than other countries. I’m grateful for living hear, but there are strengths and weaknesses to all countries.

I think it’s always important to recognize that we can strive for betterment in society.

Maybe, but it's part of the culture honestly. We strive to be the best, and take a lot of pride in it. Really I'm sure it makes others hate us, but I'm ok with that

We don't always succeed, but we always try to be better. If you don't want to be the best, and you're willing to rest some day you'll wake up the worst.

I don't make that comment to be inflammatory either, it's just the mentality. A little arrogant maybe, but with a willingness to earn it as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is a common misunderstanding. Having privilege does not make you a bad person. It's not an attack to say you have it. As a straight, white, middle class male, I am as privileged as it gets, but it's not something to be ashamed of. I was born with it.

What privilege does is give you a warped perspective on others who don't have it. As a man, I don't have to worry about being raped walking around at night, that's just a problem I don't have. Acknowledgement of the fact that I DO have that privilege simply means that I understand that for women, taking a walk at night can be dangerous in a way that it isn't for me. It doesn't mean I'm guilty for not being afraid and should do penance for not being rapeable, that's a strawman, and it just pushes people into being defensive when the point of the concept is to just broaden your horizons in a way that encompasses the experiences of other people that you might not think about in your daily life.
I think a lot of the privilege talk gets overrated and overvalued, as Cobra said there is no difference between a black poor bloke in New York compared to a poor white folk in West Virginia. Both are poor regardless of skin colour and both probably were raised in households subjected to drugs in a violent neighbourhood. However, there is privilege when it comes to being racial profiled by certain authority figures which Black people most definitely have it worst. A cop will go around and stop Black people much more than others and I think we can all agree on that.

atlas_4yj9OKoQg.png

Even though cops will racial profile drivers completely unfairly, I do think there is a reason why and one of those is based on these stats above. The stats show that black on black crime is the worst in America and those stats definitely create a stereotype based on some facts when it comes to Cops. Another part why white privilege gets overrated is due to Asian-Americans, Asians actually share the highest level of success in regards to wealth in the country of any other race. Now from my own personal perspective, I've worked with probably the most white doctors simply because there are more white people than minorities in NA. However, if we were to do an Asian doctor per capita stat out there, they would BY FAR be the highest compared to anybody else. I've seen so many in the all the places and hospitals I've personally been at even though they're considered a minority.

Actually Asians have been so successful thus far academically - which leads to wealth - that they've been discriminated against on MCAT and SAT scores that now Yale University has shown to discriminate not only to Asians, but against white people too! Now some of the smartest people I've met in my life have actually been Africans, but these stats show that med schools have declined higher score applicants since they're Asian and took lower score African-Americans for nothing more than their skin colour.

MedSchool-1024x306.jpg

DOJ: Yale Discriminates Against Asian American and White Applicants In Admissions
U.S. Justice Department Says Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians, Whites

So white privilege does exist in some areas, but a lot of it is overblown by the media which gets rapidly absorbed by the viewers because it fits a narrative.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think a lot of the privilege talk gets overrated and overvalued, as Cobra said there is no difference between a black poor bloke in New York compared to a poor white folk in West Virginia. Both are poor regardless of skin colour and both probably were raised in households subjected to drugs in a violent neighbourhood. However, there is privilege when it comes to being racial profiled by certain authority figures which Black people most definitely have it worst. A cop will go around and stop Black people much more than others and I think we can all agree on that.

atlas_4yj9OKoQg.png

Even though cops will racial profile drivers completely unfairly, I do think there is a reason why and one of those is based on these stats above. The stats show that black on black crime is the worst in America and those stats definitely create a stereotype based on some facts when it comes to Cops. Another part why white privilege gets overrated is due to Asian-Americans, Asians actually share the highest level of success in regards to wealth in the country of any other race. Now from my own personal perspective, I've worked with probably the most white doctors simply because there are more white people than minorities in NA. However, if we were to do an Asian doctor per capita stat out there, they would BY FAR be the highest compared to anybody else. I've seen so many in the all the places and hospitals I've personally been at even though they're considered a minority.

Actually Asians have been so successful thus far academically - which leads to wealth - that they've been discriminated against on MCAT and SAT scores that now Yale University has shown to discriminate not only to Asians, but against white people too! Now some of the smartest people I've met in my life have actually been Africans, but these stats show that med schools have declined higher score applicants since they're Asian and took lower score African-Americans for nothing more than their skin colour.

MedSchool-1024x306.jpg

DOJ: Yale Discriminates Against Asian American and White Applicants In Admissions
U.S. Justice Department Says Yale Illegally Discriminates Against Asians, Whites

So white privilege does exist in some areas, but a lot of it is overblown by the media which gets rapidly absorbed by the viewers because it fits a narrative.

Can always count on you to make a good point, but that will piss people off lmao.

Kristina likes your post btw, but shes Asian. Thank god the woman does not have an account on here. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
When someone asks you to support breast cancer do you tell them to sod off I only support all cancer?
Breast cancer is bad and we can all agree on that, but who are you to say that it's worse than Pancreas cancer? Are you going to go Kanye West and say that, "Pancreas cancer I am really happy for you and your morality rate, but Breast cancer had one of the best morality rates of all time! The best of all time!". So in a sense, saying all cancer is bad because truly all cancer IS bad. The murder of George Floyd is absolutely terrible, but so is the death of David Dorn as well. Two wrongs never make a right.

Are you f***ing kidding me? PEB IS a black hockey player. That’s part of his identity. Whether he has encountered and dealt with racism growing up in France (which I’m sure he has to some degree), absolutely matter. YOU are the racist for not trying to learn about other people and empathizing with them. Holy... :facepalm:
You got it wrong, Bellemare is not a Black hockey player...he is a hockey player who happens to be Black. I don't think we need to hide his race because anybody with rods and cones can tell that he's a black mate. We can celebrate him as a great person and great player without needing to bring race into it though. We can also celebrate him as minority playing hockey as well and market the game for other minorities too since we can all agree hockey needs more of. But him being Black honestly isn't the most important thing in the world - him having a heartbeat is. That's because there is good and bad people of every ethnicity, which judging them as an individual is what's important.

Can always count on you to make a good point, but that will piss people off lmao.

Kristina likes your post btw, but shes Asian. Thank god the woman does not have an account on here. :laugh:
Ehhhhhhh, I think your Wife needs an account on here just for the lulz ASAP. :nod:

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Maybe, but it's part of the culture honestly. We strive to be the best, and take a lot of pride in it. Really I'm sure it makes others hate us, but I'm ok with that

We don't always succeed, but we always try to be better. If you don't want to be the best, and you're willing to rest some day you'll wake up the worst.

Striving to be your best self is not unique though. That’s something that’s done all across the world. Just because it’s part of the culture, doesn’t make it unique.

I don’t hate the US at all. Hell, there’s a lot of things I like about the US more than Canada. Faster speed limits, greater market competition to lower prices of services, more money invested in sport.

There’s also a lot of things I like about Canada. Free public health care, low crime rates, a melting pot of immigrants calling our country home.

I just can’t say my country is better than another country and believe in total equality at the same time. Because in that same light, I don’t think I’m better than anyone.

Reactions: klozge

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Btw I hope I didn’t say anything to offend you @CobraAcesS

You’re right to be prideful of your country.

Weird discussion. Being apart of Team Avalanche together is much simpler.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Breast cancer is bad and we can all agree on that, but who are you to say that it's worse than Pancreas cancer? Are you going to go Kanye West and say that, "Pancreas cancer I am really happy for you and your morality rate, but Breast cancer had one of the best morality rates of all time! The best of all time!". So in a sense, saying all cancer is bad because truly all cancer IS bad. The murder of George Floyd is absolutely terrible, but so is the death of David Dorn as well. Two wrongs never make a right.

You got it wrong, Bellemare is not a Black hockey player...he is a hockey player who happens to be Black. I don't think we need to hide his race because anybody with rods and cones can tell that he's a black mate. We can celebrate him as a great person and great player without needing to bring race into it though. We can also celebrate him as minority playing hockey as well and market the game for other minorities too since we can all agree hockey needs more of. But him being Black honestly isn't the most important thing in the world - him having a heartbeat is. That's because there is good and bad people of every ethnicity, which judging them as an individual is what's important.

Ehhhhhhh, I think your Wife needs an account on here just for the lulz ASAP. :nod:

Wow great job splitting hairs on that one. For the record, I never said anyone being black is the most important thing about them. I said ignoring it can be just as impactful as other racist things. Racism hides in many forms, and again, my argument was about not ignoring race altogether.

Anyway, back to hockey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad