News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm not giving Dater crap for that tweet. He posts that exact tweet ALL the time. Only difference now is it's BHM and that writer is trying to shoehorn it into some racial outrage.
It has more to do with his idk.. Insecurity? Like can you not just promote your own stuff without making a back handed comment towards other journalism outlets? It's not the first time he's taken veiled shots at TA.

Reactions: klozge

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
It has more to do with his idk.. Insecurity? Like can you not just promote your own stuff without making a back handed comment towards other journalism outlets? It's not the first time he's taken veiled shots at TA.

Yeah I definitely agree with the insecure bit, but I think that has more to do with them not being seen as legitimate writers. It wasn't even a year ago when Chambers was chirping them as being bloggers when AJ was trying to get a PHWA vote. Most of Dater's subtweets are directed towards DP anyways.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I definitely agree with the insecure bit, but I think that has more to do with them not being seen as legitimate writers. It wasn't even a year ago when Chambers was chirping them as being bloggers when AJ was trying to get a PHWA vote. Most of Dater's subtweets are directed towards DP anyways.
I think if they ever really wanna be taken seriously they need to settle down, not get into the petty Twitter wars and just keep pushing out good content.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
View attachment 190633

lol, notice who liked it.

I don't subscribe to either, but if the Atlantic doesn't put out more than one article every three days, I sort of agree.

That said, one of Dater's problems is that he doesn't make much effort to be professional, and doesn't have an internal filter. He needs to work on both, but at this point, that seems unlikely.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
I don't subscribe to either, but if the Atlantic doesn't put out more than one article every three days, I sort of agree.

That said, one of Dater's problems is that he doesn't make much effort to be professional, and doesn't have an internal filter. He needs to work on both, but at this point, that seems unlikely.

His biggest problem, for me at least, is his complete lack of hockey knowledge. Don't know how you can cover a team for 15 years and not even pick up the slightest bit of understanding of the game.

A bunch of my favourite writers/authors are/were huge a-holes. If what they put out is amazing, I dont care if they're a good person or not. Dater is the perfect storm of appearing to be a bad human being and also putting out absolute crap (mostly).

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
His biggest problem, for me at least, is his complete lack of hockey knowledge. Don't know how you can cover a team for 15 years and not even pick up the slightest bit of understanding of the game.

A bunch of my favourite writers/authors are/were huge a-holes. If what they put out is amazing, I dont care if they're a good person or not. Dater is the perfect storm of appearing to be a bad human being and also putting out absolute crap (mostly).

I don't think Dater's a bad human being. I think he's probably a good caring person deep down. He just has some emotional problems, and some other issues that cause him to react improperly, and/or say things he shouldn't.

I've seen worse in terms of hockey knowledge, but I don't usually agree with what he says in a lot of his analysis either.

What he is good at is writing, and that's because he takes his time on the pieces he deems important. His other comments are more off the cuff style hot takes, and that's when his emotions color his analysis too much IMO. The same goes for 90% of what's said here too though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sounds an awful lot like the MLS’ marketing strategy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not sure what the problem is with The Athletic doing more feature-length stuff that takes more time to produce. The fact that both outlets cover the same teams and yet are pursuing very different stories should be something Dater should love. They're not necessarily direct competitors. I think AJ has even acknowledged as much.

FTR, I think a couple of guys worth following who don't get talked about enough in here are Rick Sadowski and Paul Klee. I get that Rick's stuff is pretty straightforward and what not but I don't think there's been a guy on the Avs beat longer than him in any uninterrupted stretch. Hell, his goddamn paper went under and he stuck with it.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I had a subscription to both and ended up cancelling the BSN one. TA may not publish articles as frequently as BSN, but I feel like they have more girth to them and a more enjoyable read. BSN articles can be shallow and kind of pandering at times. Clark has been an awesome addition. Sad thing is Dater is a great writer, at least when it's something he can take his time with. His Bloodfeud book is awesome.

And yeah Sadowski is a good one.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I love it. His comment obviously hit a nerve because the person who responded covers Arizona.

Nothing wrong with a tension, which will hopefully make both sites put out better content.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
BSN just seems so desperate and unprofessional at all times. You have to wade through subtweets, airing of petty grievances, near constant promo and begging for subscribers, defensive dismissal of any feedback or criticism, and some really unpleasant personalities just to get to what seems like decent coverage. Who has the time?

Clark just writes his stories and tweets sometimes. He lets his content speak for itself. The Athletic as a whole has some really annoying personalities but he's doing it right and BSN should take some notes.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not sure what the problem is with The Athletic doing more feature-length stuff that takes more time to produce. The fact that both outlets cover the same teams and yet are pursuing very different stories should be something Dater should love. They're not necessarily direct competitors. I think AJ has even acknowledged as much.

FTR, I think a couple of guys worth following who don't get talked about enough in here are Rick Sadowski and Paul Klee. I get that Rick's stuff is pretty straightforward and what not but I don't think there's been a guy on the Avs beat longer than him in any uninterrupted stretch. Hell, his goddamn paper went under and he stuck with it.

There has been quite a few times that reading Rick's post has actually given better context to comments, or even simply had more in depth quotes. Rick does not try to shape the narrative in any way or attempt to stir up shit for clicks.

I try to click on everything he produces just out of respect.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I had a subscription to both and ended up cancelling the BSN one.

I ended up cancelling too but I kind of feel bad about it because I want them to have enough money to still cover the Avs via Twitter/podcast.

I was pretty much only using my subscription to read the players grades for the games I was missing...it wasn't worth it for me.

I'm really not a fan of that new paying for content format...I can easily afford it but I don't know, I just don't like it.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I had a subscription to both and ended up cancelling the BSN one. TA may not publish articles as frequently as BSN, but I feel like they have more girth to them and a more enjoyable read. BSN articles can be shallow and kind of pandering at times. Clark has been an awesome addition. Sad thing is Dater is a great writer, at least when it's something he can take his time with. His Bloodfeud book is awesome.

And yeah Sadowski is a good one.
When you read Blood Feud and realise he's been exactly the same for 20+ years it's quite sad

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
When you read Blood Feud and realise he's been exactly the same for 20+ years it's quite sad

He put a personal anecdote in that book that was pretty telling and in line with what's being discussed here about him. He strikes me as just a genuinely unhappy person.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There has been quite a few times that reading Rick's post has actually given better context to comments, or even simply had more in depth quotes. Rick does not try to shape the narrative in any way or attempt to stir up **** for clicks.

Same here. I don't like that he's getting kinda lost in the shuffle.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There has been quite a few times that reading Rick's post has actually given better context to comments, or even simply had more in depth quotes. Rick does not try to shape the narrative in any way or attempt to stir up **** for clicks.

Yeah he's provided better context many times. Made sense of a lot of things that initially didn't make sense after reading someone like Chamber's description of events.

Sadowski is definitely the best in terms of just giving you the facts without any color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad