News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'd take Matthews over all except McDavid and MacKinnon... and I'd really think about Matthews over MacK. Matthews has been a PPG player his first 3 seasons, and despite missing some games sits 3rd in the league in goals since he came in (2nd in ES goals total and 2nd in goals per game). If Matthews can stay healthy, he's gonna have a few 50-50 seasons under his belt here soon.
Maybe. I dunno, I'm not a huge fan of him. But even saying that I'm not down on him, just a step below the MacKinnon/Barkov esque Tier of top young superstars.

McDavid is in a league of his own.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think Mack's perk is he has a gear Matthews doesn't. Matthews perk is he's more consistent night in and out than Mack.

I see the Mack v Matthews debate being very similar to the Mack v Barkov debate only Matthews doesn't have the two-way game Barkov has.

Reactions: avsfan09

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think Mack's perk is he has a gear Matthews doesn't. Matthews perk is he's more consistent night in and out than Mack.

I see the Mack v Matthews debate being very similar to the Mack v Barkov debate only Matthews doesn't have the two-way game Barkov has.

Yup that’s why I always will take Mack over Matthews. Mack just has this dynamic ability that only McDavid can bring. That change of pace and ability to do stuff at speeds that no one can and Matthews will never have that. Obviously he’s a ridiculous player and more consistent but that extra gear Mack has is awesome.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I still suggest that Eichel is better than Matthews (better overall IQ IMHO), but who am I to judge if someone likes the latter instead?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
How I rank' em

McDavid (generational)
*gap*
Mack (2nd most skilled)
Matthews (best pure goal scorer)
*gap*
Barkov (best defensive forward)
Eichel
*gap*
Draisaitl

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I still suggest that Eichel is better than Matthews (better overall IQ IMHO), but who am I to judge if someone likes the latter instead?
I used to like Eichel more but half of the time it just looks like he doesn’t give a shit at all. I think Matthews is pretty bad at this as well but Eichels just on another tier.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I'd take Matthews over all except McDavid and MacKinnon... and I'd really think about Matthews over MacK. Matthews has been a PPG player his first 3 seasons, and despite missing some games sits 3rd in the league in goals since he came in (2nd in ES goals total and 2nd in goals per game). If Matthews can stay healthy, he's gonna have a few 50-50 seasons under his belt here soon.
No. And it's not close. Matthews is great but let's calm down a bit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No. And it's not close. Matthews is great but let's calm down a bit.
Matthews is significantly better defensively and a better goal scorer. MacK is better overall offensively and is more dynamic. There should be a debate either way on them.

Reactions: Pokecheque

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Matthews is significantly better defensively and a better goal scorer. MacK is better overall offensively and is more dynamic. There should be a debate either way on them.
I disagree on Matthews being significantly better defensively. I highly disagree. I give you MacKinnon being a bit lazy at times but his defensive abilities are actually a bit underrated. And he can dominate games in a way only very few (two or three) players can. Matthews isn't one of them. He's great and possibly still underrated outside of the group of Leafs fans but he isn't MacKinnon. MacKinnon makes a difference in the games he doesn't score in (like last night in Dallas), Matthews most often doesn't.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I disagree on Matthews being significantly better defensively. I highly disagree. I give you MacKinnon being a bit lazy at times but his defensive abilities are actually a bit underrated. And he can dominate games in a way only very few (two or three) players can. Matthews isn't one of them. He's great and possibly still underrated outside of the group of Leafs fans but he isn't MacKinnon. MacKinnon makes a difference in the games he doesn't score in (like last night in Dallas), Matthews most often doesn't.

A lot of that is just false honestly. I get leaf players overhype their players and do it with Matthews but he’s easily in a tier with Mack. Someone said it above, Mack has an extra level that Matthews doesn’t but Matthews is the far more consistent player of the two.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
A lot of that is just false honestly. I get leaf players overhype their players and do it with Matthews but he’s easily in a tier with Mack. Someone said it above, Mack has an extra level that Matthews doesn’t but Matthews is the far more consistent player of the two.
Consistency is a fair point although I'd almost call it debatable as well, especially considering the very different kind of coaches of the respective teams and the different ways the players are used.

No... thinking about... MacKinnon is just so much better.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Consistency is a fair point although I'd almost call it debatable as well, especially considering the very different kind of coaches of the respective teams and the different ways the players are used.

No... thinking about... MacKinnon is just so much better.

I take mackinnon over Matthews everyday to start my franchise. But to say it isn’t close would be pretty disingenuous imo, Matthews is clearly the 3rd best player(at worst) to build a team around.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
For me:

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Matthews
4. Barkov
5. Draisaitl

Eichel always finds his way into these conversations but IMO, he's not on that level and never has been. He's very good and might be there one day but I think he's clearly below right now.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I take mackinnon over Matthews everyday to start my franchise. But to say it isn’t close would be pretty disingenuous imo, Matthews is clearly the 3rd best player(at worst) to build a team around.
Agree to disagree. I would even heavily consider picking someone like Dahlin (not saying I'd do it but I'd consider it) before him. There have been too many games Matthews was almost invisible in. He's very young, of course, and again I'm not saying he isn't great or won't improve even more, but I'm not quite as high on Matthews as you are.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agree to disagree. I would even heavily consider picking someone like Dahlin (not saying I'd do it but I'd consider it) before him. There have been too many games Matthews was almost invisible in. He's very young, of course, and again I'm not saying he isn't great or won't improve even more, but I'm not quite as high on Matthews as you are.

I mean you’re getting a C who’s basically a lock for 45+ goals a year. He’s the only C capable of that right now. I mean sure he goes invisible during some games but Mack does that a ton as well, doesn’t mean he isn’t a special player. Dahlin is a good shout but in order I’d pick:
MacDavid
*big gap
Mack
Matthews
Dahlin
Eichel/Barkov

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
MacKinnon is a higher point producer on what I'd call a weaker offensive team.

Matthews is better at even strength, produces more goals per game, and does so in less minutes. Overall Matthews is .1 ppg behind MacK.

This year's points per 60 is 2.95 for Matthews and primary is 2.34 5v5. MacK is 2.2 and 1.81 respectively on those. Last season the numbers for Matthews were 2.91 and 2.13 vs MacK at 2.99 and 2.45. So they have flopped in their production. They are very similar offensive players with different strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad