News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mike Green is as bad as Girard is at just 44%.

Obviously other factors are to be considered. A team that's bad 5 on 5 will make it much more difficult for one individual to do well in a statistic like this and vice versa a team that is great at 5 on 5 will inflate stats of less stellar defenders.

A really bad picture gets painted when you're on an above average team like like the Avs are at 5 on 5, and yet you're still one if the worst in the league and by far the worst on your own team. And that's the picture Girard is painted in.

It says one of two things, either Girard is playing competition simply too good for him to deal with, or he's just not that good defensively right now.

Anyway it's clear your going to refute any stats thrown at you just like you do with Barrie so I'm done with the subject. Feel free to get the last word in.

Ignoring the usual attempt to make this personal, this further illustrates how these numbers are heavily influenced by role, and that top pairing guys face more dangerous scoring chances. Whether it’s the Avs or the best teams in the league.

HDCA is almost perfectly aligned with TOI.

Colorado

1 - Sam Girard - 260 - 1224:28
2 - Erik Johnson - 238 - 1223:30
3 - Tyson Barrie - 206 - 1136:25
4 - Ian Cole - 172 - 987:37
5 - Nikita Zadorov - 140 - 881:16
6 - Patrik Nemeth - 134 - 837:31

Tampa Bay

1 - Ryan McDonagh - 201 - 1238:25
2 - Michail Sergachev - 188 - 1039:52
3 - Victor Hedman - 187 - 1055:28
4 - Dan Girardi - 162 - 925:03
5 - Braydon Coburn - 158 - 971:10
6 - Anton Stralman - 143 - 758:12
7 - Erik Cernak - 106 - 776:31

Calgary

1 - Noah Hanifin - 240 - 1223:31
2 - TJ Brodie - 218 - 1263:03
3 - Mark Giordano - 205 - 1199:16
4 - Travis Hamonic - 185 - 1038:27
5 - Rasmus Andersson - 147 - 945:34

The best defenseman are all ranked among the highest on their teams in HDCA, because they're on the ice the most, and face the best players in the world every night.

Erik Cernak is not better than Hedman and McDonagh defensively. Rasmus Anderson is not better than Hanifin and Brodie.

The same way Nemeth, Cole, Barrie, and Zadorov are not better than Girard and EJ defensively just because they're ranked that way in HDCA.

If you're covering Nathan MacKinnon all night, you're going to have a higher HDCA, than if you're covering Gabriel Bourque. No matter how good you are defensively.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I always enjoy this poll. MacK included a few times.

I don't understand why Matthews is ahead of MacKinnon in player you would start a franchise with when he wasn't even in the top 5 in best player or hardest to play against?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't understand why Matthews is ahead of MacKinnon in player you would start a franchise with when he wasn't even in the top 5 in best player or hardest to play against?

Because

upload_2019-3-20_8-3-35.png

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Erik Cernak is not better than Hedman and McDonagh defensively. Rasmus Anderson is not better than Hanifin and Brodie.

The same way Nemeth, Cole, Barrie, and Zadorov are not better than Girard and EJ defensively just because they're ranked that way in HDCA.

It's almost as if most advanced stats are unreliable. :sarcasm:

The defensive gap between Girard and Barrie is as big as their offensive gap if we were to switch sides.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
There will be no news of us signing Morris until his season is done. Notre Dame semi-surprisingly made the Big 10 Finals and if they win against Penn State get an automatic birth into the Frozen Four. If they lose, I don't think UND are high enough in the pairwise ranking to get a spot except if they get major help (aka all the top teams winning their conferences) so their season would be over.

He's a Colorado native and is one of the best goalers in the NCAAA. He's also a free agent and plays similar to Jonathan Quick.

Reactions: Foppberg

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm betting on Cale Morris. Don't think it's Rantanen re-signing but that would be amazing
That was my call when it came out in the GDT. IMO that's why he can't announce it. He needs to wait for the end of his season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm betting on Cale Morris. Don't think it's Rantanen re-signing but that would be amazing

I think that's a decent bet. He grew up in Colorado and played two years with the Thunderbirds, so the Avs may be high on his list.

Avs aren't signing Rantanen during the season, they want him motivated to play his ass off and get them in the playoffs.

This could lead to having enough goaltenders to make Varly expenable, and not rely on just Grubauer and one prospect. Sign Morris and re-sign Francouz to let them battle it out in camp. Then let whoever plays better, battle it out with Grubauer for the starting job during the season. Then draft Knight or someone else in the draft to have a promising prospect years down the line.

Hopefully one of them can take the reins, sooner rather than later.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think that's a decent bet. He grew up in Colorado and played two years with the Thunderbirds, so the Avs may be high on his list.

Avs aren't signing Rantanen during the season, they want him motivated to play his ass off and get them in the playoffs.

This could lead to having enough goaltenders to make Varly expenable, and not rely on just Grubauer and one prospect. Sign Morris and re-sign Francouz to let them battle it out in camp. Then let whoever plays better, battle it out with Grubauer for the starting job during the season. Then draft Knight or someone else in the draft to have a promising prospect years down the line.

Hopefully one of them can take the reins, sooner rather than later.
There is a good chance Werner will be coming over also so he can battle with Morris for the AHL starting job. The loser goes to ECHL to get playing time.

If they don't pick Knight I would like them to get Saville with our 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppa2118

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There is a good chance Werner will be coming over also so he can battle with Morris for the NHL starting job. The loser goes to ECHL to get playing time.

If they don't pick Knight I would like them to get Saville with our 2nd.
Wait, you don't actually think Frank is in the picture for next season?

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

Why is that so hard to believe? Matthews is younger and as of yet hasn't had a "bad" season. MacKinnon, after a very promising rookie campaign, kinda puttered around as a good-but-not-great player until last season when he finally turned it on. There aren't many players I'd pick ahead of Matthews if I was building a roster.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Why is that so hard to believe? Matthews is younger and as of yet hasn't had a "bad" season. MacKinnon, after a very promising rookie campaign, kinda puttered around as a good-but-not-great player until last season when he finally turned it on. There aren't many players I'd pick ahead of Matthews if I was building a roster.
McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Draisaitl, Mikko, Barkov, Marner..

He's a great player but isn't close to the very top tier

Reactions: Murzu

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
McDavid, MacKinnon, Eichel, Draisaitl, Mikko, Barkov, Marner..

He's a great player but isn't close to the very top tier

I'd take Matthews over all except McDavid and MacKinnon... and I'd really think about Matthews over MacK. Matthews has been a PPG player his first 3 seasons, and despite missing some games sits 3rd in the league in goals since he came in (2nd in ES goals total and 2nd in goals per game). If Matthews can stay healthy, he's gonna have a few 50-50 seasons under his belt here soon.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->