News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I don't know why exactly, but the Nuggets have much better local internet media coverage than the Avs. Part of it is probably there's better money in basketball coverage, but I don't know if it explains all of it. There don't seem to be any of these weird juvenile social media types like AJ, Dater and Tom Hunter on the Nuggets end... at least none that are that bad about making their personal issues part of the coverage. Ryan Clark does good work, and I assume Evan Rawal/TMV does good work as well though I'm not a DNVR subscriber and most of it is behind a paywall. DNVR is doing videos and they have Adam Mares doing Nuggets stuff, which is relatively professional, and Nathan Rudolph doing the Avs stuff. They seem to be encouraging Rudo to get creative without requiring him to use a comb. I'm not trying to give him crap for his personal grooming habits but watching a guy who looks like he just crawled out of bed straining to be witty just has a weird vibe. They just posted a video about Avs history then deleted it because of a factual error about the Florida Panthers.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Big article in the Wall Street Journal about the Altitude broadcasting situation.

Darkness Has Descended on Denver. Most of Its Sports Teams Are Off TV.

I have a subscription, so I am not sure if everyone can access it.

Some highlights:

"All three distributors, which combined serve essentially all of Denver, are currently offering between 50% and 70% less to carry the channel this time around, said Matt Hutchings, Altitude’s president."

"The blackout is bad business for the city’s sports bars, which have lost access to their two highest-profile sources of weeknight sports entertainment."

"The city’s lonely provider of Nuggets and Avalanche games on TV is Brooklyn’s, a sports bar that struck a deal with Altitude. That is only possible because it is located across the street from the Pepsi Center, where both teams play, and is technically part of the sporting complex, which means it has the connections in place to get the Altitude signal."

"Regional sports blackouts have become more frequent over the years as media consolidation, cord-cutting and increasingly expensive contracts with leagues have made both sports networks and TV distributors more likely to drive a hard bargain. About 60% of Los Angeles households remain unable to watch the Dodgers on TV. That dispute has been going on for six seasons."

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
That was a good question by Dater.

And what would those be, I would like to know. Beside setting a precedent, that its possible to appeal for, essentially. Its 100% the right thing to do in this exceptional circumstance. Would certainly force Altitude to cave instantly so i guess those politics matter.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Craig Button liked the Graves tweet (which makes it worse for some reason) and Dater couldn't pass the occasion to throw a jab ...

rpy3MbO.png

Reactions: shadow1

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The media is so ridiculous. A bunch of children trying to find their way in the world. Thank goodness we have Ryan Clark.
Clark in unbearable during the games though. He's the Twitter version of McNab.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Dater and AJ are those two girls from high school who claimed to be friends but everyone knew given half a chance they'd rip each others faces off.

Reactions: shadow1

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Small sample of his tweets during the game

Ryan S. Clark on Twitter

Ryan S. Clark on Twitter

I actually like all of this stuff and it is miles ahead of what we've had with Dater, AJ and Chambers. Although if I was given the chance to draft a beat writer, it'd Aaron Portzline. IMO, he's the best all-around beat-guy working the NHL. The quantity and quality of info he pushes via stories at the Athletic and twitter is incredible.

Reactions: Grackle Party

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like AJ’s explanation for the mix up: he doesn’t talk to players outside of a professional setting because it would hurt his credibility.

I’m pretty sure asking Graves if he’s playing on game night as the two are entering Pepsi Center would have been better than falsely reporting he was scratched due to being late to the arena.

:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad