News Article: Colorado Avalanche Media Coverage Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I'm glad they got one deal figured out, but the vast majority of fans still can't watch. DirecTV probably only holds 25-30% market. Comcast is easily the biggest provider. So is a small victory in my books.

And people saying stuff like just switch providers. Well A. I can't afford it because DirecTV gauges after the first year and they lock you into a contact for a minimum 2 years. B. I can't even get it, if I wanted because I have no way of placing a satellite in the proper direction on my condo.

So it's nice and all that they got one, but I really hope they are still fighting for the other 2 providers because I'm still very screwed and would like to have my teams back on TV.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Some fantastic content in here over the past few pages, but Dater wondering aloud if the network blackouts are responsible for a hit in his traffic is still the best part. Closely followed by all the replies to that tweet, none of which seemed to tell him the truth.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm glad they got one deal figured out, but the vast majority of fans still can't watch. DirecTV probably only holds 25-30% market. Comcast is easily the biggest provider. So is a small victory in my books.

And people saying stuff like just switch providers. Well A. I can't afford it because DirecTV gauges after the first year and they lock you into a contact for a minimum 2 years. B. I can't even get it, if I wanted because I have no way of placing a satellite in the proper direction on my condo.

So it's nice and all that they got one, but I really hope they are still fighting for the other 2 providers because I'm still very screwed and would like to have my teams back on TV.

This. 1000 times this. I want to watch the f***ing games. At home, on my TV.

Reactions: chet1926

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
It's likely Altitude said that to throw a bone to DirecTV for being first, and to put extra pressure on Comcast and Dish to follow suit.

this 1000 times

If DirectTV has the lowest number of viewers, it’s the easiest one to negotiate because there’s not much win/loss on either side. Comcast will be a different story.

And not that it will happen but if every Comcast subscriber jumped to DirectTV and all of a sudden DirectTV had a bazillion subscribers, you can bet Altitude would be blacked out again and both sides would want to negotiate again.

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
One of my dads friends has a connection to comcast and they said the only reason that the standoff is happening is because all 3 contracts ended at the same time. I would assume all 3 are fine with the same contract and that the others will follow suit shortly.

Yep, once one deal is done, sets the groundwork, and becomes harder for another deal to be way out of line. I expect at least one more will follow in next week or couple.

But I wonder if Altitude will never again negotiate all 3 to end at same time.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lets be real for a second here. It's nice that DirecTV got a deal done, but let's not pretend either. This is a minor move at best. Comcast is the real deal that needs to get done for anything to be considered a true success.

IMO the only reason they worked with DirecTV is for the local bars. Most bars carry DirecTV mainly for NFL Sunday ticket. This deal wasn't about the fans at home, because in reality 7/8 out of 10 homes probably have Comcast.

And this is why I found Kyle Keefe's Twitter post last night, highly offensive. He can be happy that he now has a bit more job security, but he doesn't need to break down in tears like they won the TV Superbowl and say how happy he is for the fans. Earth to Kyle the vast majority of the fans are still left out in the dark. Switching providers isn't an option for most. This wasn't a huge win, just a small step in the right direction. Mainly this was a win for local businesses and a few select home viewers there is a long way to go until things are all good in Avs/Nuggs land.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Lets be real for a second here. It's nice that DirecTV got a deal done, but let's not pretend either. This is a minor move at best. Comcast is the real deal that needs to get done for anything to be considered a true success.

IMO the only reason they worked with DirecTV is for the local bars. Most bars carry DirecTV mainly for NFL Sunday ticket. This deal wasn't about the fans at home, because in reality 7/8 out of 10 homes probably have Comcast.

And this is why I found Kyle Keefe's Twitter post last night, highly offensive. He can be happy that he now has a bit more job security, but he doesn't need to break down in tears like they won the TV Superbowl and say how happy he is for the fans. Earth to Kyle the vast majority of the fans are still left out in the dark. Switching providers isn't an option for most. This wasn't a huge win, just a small step in the right direction. Mainly this was a win for local businesses and a few select home viewers there is a long way to go until things are all good in Avs/Nuggs land.

tenor.gif

Reactions: chet1926

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
I don't know why y'all think DirecTV is some minor TV provider but they're the biggest one
comcast-pay-tv-market-share.jpg

Comcast won't let DirecTV have this advantage long.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't know if you listened the podcast but he'd not just straight up lie like that on this topic. Heck, some players are probably listening and I don't think he wants to be known as a liar (that's far worse than extrapolating).

He said that other journalists talk to athletes off the record but never does it. He went on a rant about not being able to do his job correctly if he did but I didn't necessarily buy this part. It's possible that he's just shy.

I just don't think it is credible and the excuse that you can't do your job correctly is complete BS. I don't listen to their podcast, but I've never seen a media person who won't have a casual conversation with at least some players.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
One thing that needs to happen is Altitude needs to get on board with all of these internet cable services.

Sling, Hulu Live TV, Youtube TV, etc.

If Hulu Live had Altitude and ATT Sportsnet Rocky Mtn I'd have dropped Comcast long ago.

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
The deal happened the same day this happened, so maybe DirectTV caved a bit:

I’ll be laughing so hard if this in any way blows up in the cable companies faces :laugh: and hopefully incites some change, because f*** the cable companies (I know it’s bickering on both sides, and I don’t know the whole thing, but still). Plus I have spectrum so I’ve been fine this whole time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad