Coliseum Thread

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I think the best thing they did was blow out the main entrance to make it more spacious. I've never gotten food during the period before, because I don't want to miss any of the play, but I had issues when the circus was in town when it was first renovated. Haven't been to a game this year though. I imagine the decreased maximum attendance could help a little bit, but I imagine it's mostly the same and it looked the same from videos/pictures I've seen from the recent games.

That said, I'm glad mostly everyone is happy and enjoying themselves. The seats and viewing of the ice is great.

When you bring a 3 year old to the game, you go when you're told.

Surprisingly, the biggest line I've experienced so far was for ice cream. At the first game, I joined friends on the ice cream line during the second intermission. They were pretty far back so after waiting for about 5-7 minutes, I went to the Men's Room. I was back well before they got to the front of the line. Now granted that's a one off kiosk concession so if there's a rush, there's really no other place to get it and it only takes one inept person behind the counter to back it up. But more than anything, the bathroom situation really wasn't as bad as I feared. There was certainly a line but it wasn't one of those "Get on line during intermission and get back to your seat with 15 minutes remaining in the period" type situations that we used to have back in the day.

At this juncture, the only thing that is keeping the building from being viable is the luxury boxes. I didn't know why they were blocked off until MJF laid out that reasoning (which sucks but I guess it is what it is in 2018). While capacity would be lowest in the league, Selling out a ~14k venue on a nightly basis would be pretty good for this franchise. Its not like we averaged that any other time. And if we aren't selling it out, there's really no need to go bigger, right?

The only thing I can think of as far as improvements is to make more use of the outdoor space for concessions/bathrooms. If you put more bathrooms out there like by the beer garden, I suspect people would use them. Likewise, if you put a heated tent out there for overflow/concessions, it would give you a lot more room to maneuver. If you had an outdoor concession with a Shake Shack, you'd draw plenty of people out there.

So far, I've been perfectly happy with the situation there - given the realities of what they're working with. I sat in row 7 of the 200s this past weekend (as opposed to my normal seats), I'd say the view is almost the same as the view from my seats in the 100s in Barclays. You can't replicate that anywhere else in sports.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The biggest plus is that you can now walk completely around the seating area between the lower and upper bowl. When people get used to doing that instead of walking around on the concourse it will help relieve some of the crowding. Just a matter of changing old habits.

Didn't make a difference at the circus, but I can definitely see that being a game changer for people who are just looking to get around to see friends and stuff.

They've previously done so when the fans did not yet know that they had no choice but to go to Brooklyn to see their team.

They still don't have an alternative to Brooklyn if they want to see a playoff game, if they're set in Brooklyn. There's zero chance those games wouldn't sell out.

Surprisingly, the biggest line I've experienced so far was for ice cream. At the first game, I joined friends on the line ice cream line during the second intermission. They were pretty far back so after waiting for about 5-7 minutes, I went to the Men's Room. I was back well before they got to the front of the line. Now granted that's a one off kiosk concession so if there's a rush, there's really no other place to get it and it only takes one inept person behind the counter to back it up. But more than anything, the bathroom situation really wasn't as bad as I feared. There was certainly a line but it wasn't one of those "Get on line during intermission and get back to your seat with 15 minutes remaining in the period" type situations that we used to have back in the day.

At this juncture, the only thing that is keeping the building from being viable is the luxury boxes. I didn't know why they were blocked off until MJF laid out that reasoning (which sucks but I guess it is what it is in 2018). While capacity would be lowest in the league, Selling out a ~14k venue on a nightly basis would be pretty good for this franchise. Its not like we averaged that any other time. And if we aren't selling it out, there's really no need to go bigger, right?

The only thing I can think of as far as improvements is to make more use of the outdoor space for concessions/bathrooms. If you put more bathrooms out there like by the beer garden, I suspect people would use them. Likewise, if you put a heated tent out there for overflow/concessions, it would give you a lot more room to maneuver. If you had an outdoor concession with a Shake Shack, you'd draw plenty of people out there.

So far, I've been perfectly happy with the situation there - given the realities of what they're working with. I sat in row 7 of the 200s this past weekend (as opposed to my normal seats), I'd say the view is almost the same as the view from my seats in the 100s in Barclays. You can't replicate that anywhere else in sports.

I'll be in a similar boat soon enough with children. It's not something I've had to experience in a very long time.

I'm not sure if you've been to any other arenas, but the Coliseum is probably the worst I've been to in every aspect other than watching the game, which admittedly is the most important. I don't think it's close to being a long time solution without major renovations to expand the corridor. I agree that it's better than what it was though and given what they were working with as a budget, I guess it's good enough for now. I'd like the new arena to have 17,500 seats for hockey. That's ideal to me. The fan base needs to grow, it can't just be the 12,000 people that show up now.

My opinion is strictly from the one time I was there for a non-hockey event when it first re-opened. Hoping to catch a game there later this year if possible and then I can see how much I like it for a hockey game.

lorwood

Nov 3, 2008
Gave my Son and his SO tickets for Saturday nights game. Sent him a text before puck drop asking how it was to be back home, his reply...

I am told all stalls in the ladies room are broken, the concourse is a disaster and the floors are sticky.....I LOVE IT!!!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Surprisingly, the biggest line I've experienced so far was for ice cream. At the first game, I joined friends on the ice cream line during the second intermission. They were pretty far back so after waiting for about 5-7 minutes, I went to the Men's Room. I was back well before they got to the front of the line. Now granted that's a one off kiosk concession so if there's a rush, there's really no other place to get it and it only takes one inept person behind the counter to back it up. But more than anything, the bathroom situation really wasn't as bad as I feared. There was certainly a line but it wasn't one of those "Get on line during intermission and get back to your seat with 15 minutes remaining in the period" type situations that we used to have back in the day.

I was at Little Caesars Arena last Saurday when the Isles were there. The mens room line nearest my section was horrendously long. :sarcasm:

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
Didn't make a difference at the circus, but I can definitely see that being a game changer for people who are just looking to get around to see friends and stuff.

They still don't have an alternative to Brooklyn if they want to see a playoff game, if they're set in Brooklyn. There's zero chance those games wouldn't sell out.

I hope you are right. However, I also hope that you are wrong and the playoff games are where they should be - home.

Reactions: PK Cronin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm not sure if you've been to any other arenas, but the Coliseum is probably the worst I've been to in every aspect other than watching the game, which admittedly is the most important. I don't think it's close to being a long time solution without major renovations to expand the corridor. I agree that it's better than what it was though and given what they were working with as a budget, I guess it's good enough for now. I'd like the new arena to have 17,500 seats for hockey. That's ideal to me. The fan base needs to grow, it can't just be the 12,000 people that show up now.

My opinion is strictly from the one time I was there for a non-hockey event when it first re-opened. Hoping to catch a game there later this year if possible and then I can see how much I like it for a hockey game.

I’ve been to a number of other arenas and while it still has a way to go to meet the amenities of other places, the (mostly cosmetic) upgrades have definitely changed the experience. First off, there were necessary real upgrades that need to be done. I didn’t feel one coil in my seat hitting my ass. That’s a pretty big change. There are no exposed pipes or other eye sores apparent. That’s secondary but definitely real. The food is upgraded to the point that my wife actually found something to eat - that never happened at the old Coliseum. And yes - there are long lines. But there are long lines at Met Life and others arenas too - just as MJF said, at Little Caesar’s which is the pinnacle of new arenas. That’s just a fact of life when thousands of ppl gather to drink beer.

I can’t speak to your experience at the circus - sounds like it wasn’t a good one, but hey, you were at the circus. Usually the main event colors your ultimate view of time spent.

As a fairly objective observer (who doesn’t need all the amenities - but certainly enjoys some) my experience so far has been pretty good both at the seats and beyond. And the in seat experience (in so far as watching the game)far surpasses any other modern day arena by a long shot.

If it was economically viable, I’d be perfectly happy staying there as a season ticket holder despite it being not all convenient for me. I realize it’s not (viable) and we have to understand that but I have to wonder if it wasn’t just Lighthouse Project or nothing whether we could have made it work. I don’t follow that shit closely so I don’t know what the answers are but if it took $150 million to get to here, was there a way to spend $400 million to make it what we needed? Maybe there wasn’t but it seems like it was never really looked into.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I’ve been to a number of other arenas and while it still has a way to go to meet the amenities of other places, the (mostly cosmetic) upgrades have definitely changed the experience. First off, there were necessary real upgrades that need to be done. I didn’t feel one coil in my seat hitting my ass. That’s a pretty big change. There are no exposed pipes or other eye sores apparent. That’s secondary but definitely real. The food is upgraded to the point that my wife actually found something to eat - that never happened at the old Coliseum. And yes - there are long lines. But there are long lines at Met Life and others arenas too - just as MJF said, at Little Caesar’s which is the pinnacle of new arenas. That’s just a fact of life when thousands of ppl gather to drink beer.

I can’t speak to your experience at the circus - sounds like it wasn’t a good one, but hey, you were at the circus. Usually the main event colors your ultimate view of time spent.

As a fairly objective observer (who doesn’t need all the amenities - but certainly enjoys some) my experience so far has been pretty good both at the seats and beyond. And the in seat experience (in so far as watching the game)far surpasses any other modern day arena by a long shot.

If it was economically viable, I’d be perfectly happy staying there as a season ticket holder despite it being not all convenient for me. I realize it’s not (viable) and we have to inderdtand that but I have to wonder if it wasn’t just Lighthouse Project or nothing whether we could have made it work. I don’t follow that **** closely so I don’t know what the answers are but if it took $150 million to get to here, was there a way to spend $400 million to make it what we needed? May we there wasn’t but it seems like it was never really looked into.

My experience was that it was a slight upgrade but much of the same issues existed. Now, having been to the Coliseum for my entire life, they are definitely things that I can deal with. It's just not comparable to other arenas. Wells Fargo is my favorite arena of the ones I've been to, and there's just something nice about not feeling like a sardine when moving about. I don't hate the Coliseum at all, and it's still "home" for me, but I also know that it's time has come and gone. I think there was an article I saw from the 70's that talked about how the Coliseum was already outdated the year it was opened. That's really crazy when you think about it.

The big reason nobody wants to sink that kind of money into the arena, from what I know, is that it isn't lucrative enough. It's all the "extras" that generates the additional revenue for the owners. Without them, there just isn't a desire to spend that kind of dough.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
My experience was that it was a slight upgrade but much of the same issues existed. Now, having been to the Coliseum for my entire life, they are definitely things that I can deal with. It's just not comparable to other arenas. Wells Fargo is my favorite arena of the ones I've been to, and there's just something nice about not feeling like a sardine when moving about. I don't hate the Coliseum at all, and it's still "home" for me, but I also know that it's time has come and gone. I think there was an article I saw from the 70's that talked about how the Coliseum was already outdated the year it was opened. That's really crazy when you think about it.

The big reason nobody wants to sink that kind of money into the arena, from what I know, is that it isn't lucrative enough. It's all the "extras" that generates the additional revenue for the owners. Without them, there just isn't a desire to spend that kind of dough.

There were times at the old Coliseum where you were just about picked up by the swell of the people moving and you had no choice but to move in that direction with the crowd almost literally carrying you off your feet. At certain bottlenecks in the outer rotunda, it was pretty much a given. When I took my kids there, I was always extremely careful as it was borderline dangerous.

I have not experienced anything close to that feeling at the Coliseum v.2 and I've had kids in tow both times I've been this year. I'm not sure whether the inner track has something to do with that, the 2k less people or the new layout with a food court downstairs, but its a fundamentally different feel. Granted, I didn't spend each intermission circum-navigating the arena, but I wasn't anchored in my seat either.

Just from the perspective of the fan's experience (not economics, etc.), it was a step up and the cosmetic changes at least made you feel that you weren't in a an early 1970s hovel.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There were times at the old Coliseum where you were just about picked up by the swell of the people moving and you had no choice but to move in that direction with the crowd almost literally carrying you off your feet. At certain bottlenecks in the outer rotunda, it was pretty much a given. When I took my kids there, I was always extremely careful as it was borderline dangerous.

I have not experienced anything close to that feeling at the Coliseum v.2 and I've had kids in tow both times I've been this year. I'm not sure whether the inner track has something to do with that, the 2k less people or the new layout with a food court downstairs, but its a fundamentally different feel. Granted, I didn't spend each intermission circum-navigating the arena, but I wasn't anchored in my seat either.

Just from the perspective of the fan's experience (not economics, etc.), it was a step up and the cosmetic changes at least made you feel that you weren't in a an early 1970s hovel.

I know they moved the concessions back a few feet too, so maybe it actually has made a difference? I'm debating taking my little one (less than a year) to a game at the Coliseum this year, but the more I think about it the more I think it'd be a bad idea. She definitely needs to go at some point, because it's the Mecca of Islanders hockey, except it won't always be accessible for that purpose. She won't remember it, but at least I'll know I did my job. :laugh:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I know they moved the concessions back a few feet too, so maybe it actually has made a difference? I'm debating taking my little one (less than a year) to a game at the Coliseum this year, but the more I think about it the more I think it'd be a bad idea. She definitely needs to go at some point, because it's the Mecca of Islanders hockey, except it won't always be accessible for that purpose. She won't remember it, but at least I'll know I did my job. :laugh:
100% take her. We've taken all our kids when they were under a year and it works out fine. We took my daughter to her first hockey game at 6 weeks old. Granted it was a preseason game at Barclays (so the mall was probably more crowded) but she made it. She may not remember it but the pictures you'll have will make it completely worth it. There's undoubtedly family bathrooms (find out where they are) if you need to change her, you'll get on the Simba camera (another Kodak moment), and you'll dress up in infant Islanders gear and you'll get major street cred. And if you have to leave early, si la vie...its just a game.

Get seats in the upper 100s section so you're close to the exit.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York
I'd like the new arena to have 17,500 seats for hockey. That's ideal to me. The fan base needs to grow, it can't just be the 12,000 people that show up now.

I actually wish the new arena would be "cozier" - say 15,500. I'd rather a sell out at 15.5 than 3,000 empty seats every night. 15,000 would be "roomier" also. I'd pay a few bucks more per ticket so that the revenue evened out. But that's just me. Go ahead and jump on me! :)

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I actually wish the new arena would be "cozier" - say 15,500. I'd rather a sell out at 15.5 than 3,000 empty seats every night. 15,000 would be "roomier" also. I'd pay a few bucks more per ticket so that the revenue evened out. But that's just me. Go ahead and jump on me! :)

It just doesn't makes sense economically. That's 2,000 less people who are getting a live experience, and hockey is best consumed live. If you're trying to grow the fan base, more seats is necessary. I agree that I'd personally prefer less if I were it was an ideal world though.

The arena will also be used for concerts too, so more seats makes more sense for that as well.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Question for some of the older folk around here.....was there ever a time when you could walk around the Coliseum on the inner track? From my recollection, there has always been those luxury boxes (with the TVs) that blocked your path to walk around. Was there a time when those weren’t there and you were able to walk all the way around?

Having an inane argument with someone over this.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Question for some of the older folk around here.....was there ever a time when you could walk around the Coliseum on the inner track? From my recollection, there has always been those luxury boxes (with the TVs) that blocked your path to walk around. Was there a time when those weren’t there and you were able to walk all the way around?

Having an inane argument with someone over this.
Yes. Those boxes were added in the late 1980s or early 1990s.

You also used to walk most of the way around the 300 level. The original press box was behind the last rows on the bench side of the building and the organ was in a cage behind Section 306. Over the years rows R and S were added. Remember, hockey capacity when the Coliseum first opened was 14,865.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
It just doesn't makes sense economically. That's 2,000 less people who are getting a live experience, and hockey is best consumed live. If you're trying to grow the fan base, more seats is necessary. I agree that I'd personally prefer less if I were it was an ideal world though.

The arena will also be used for concerts too, so more seats makes more sense for that as well.
At 17.5k we better start contending next year. It’s going to be embarrassing not being able to fill our new arena because this team still can’t win.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
At 17.5k we better start contending next year. It’s going to be embarrassing not being able to fill our new arena because this team still can’t win.

Not only that, but even if this team is a winner it is difficult to fill up 17.5K on anything other than playoff games. This is not Canada, it is Long Island.

WagnerGrad96

Mar 30, 2016
West Islip, New York

Everything you say makes sense. I just don't know if the Isles are an 18,000 a night team, especially considering the changing demographics of Long Island. If the Rangers didn't exists, sure, but there are two teams in the market.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Everything you say makes sense. I just don't know if the Isles are an 18,000 a night team, especially considering the changing demographics of Long Island. If the Rangers didn't exists, sure, but there are two teams in the market.

I don't think the team survives without growing the fan base. They won't draw that much in the beginning, but they need to grow it to that point. If we're still getting 12,000 people with a brand new arena, new stable ownership, and a good front office...ugh.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I don't think the team survives without growing the fan base. They won't draw that much in the beginning, but they need to grow it to that point. If we're still getting 12,000 people with a brand new arena, new stable ownership, and a good front office...ugh.
If winning, advancing in the playoffs in the 2 years leading up to Belmont from groundbreaking doesn’t happen, this team will be a tough sell to the fans and top tier players. Then the perception will still be same old Islanders.

Some sembelance of must occur before the move in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad