Player Discussion Colin White signed for 6 years x $4.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Such a good deal. White was one of the guys I thought would’ve been a great target for an offersheet.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Such a good deal. White was one of the guys I thought would’ve been a great target for an offersheet.

The compensation for an offer sheet for White would likely be a 2020 1RD and 2RD pick. That would be interesting depending who signed him to the offer sheet. Would you trade White for a lottery pick in 2020? Would any team give us a lottery pick for him?

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Good deal.

5 years X 4.45 is great value for White. And smartly structured knowing we won't be able to resign him, this way we save on him in real $$$ during his prime and then when he's 27 and washed up we can trade him away to some other sucker who will have to both pay the hefty last year and end up screwing themselves by signing him into his early 30s.

In all seriousness. Good signing. Don't see how he is not either living up to the amount over the course of the contract. All he needs is to avg. is 15-20 goals and 50-60 points in the top 6. The AAV is really not that high and hopefully management will be different by the end of the contract.

Last edited:

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Good deal.

5 years X 4.25 is great value for White. And smartly structured knowing we won't be able to resign him, this way we save on him in real $$$ during his prime and then when he's 27 and washed up we can trade him away to some other sucker who will have to both pay the hefty last year and end up screwing themselves by signing him into his early 30s.

In all seriousness. Good signing. Don't see how he is not either living up to the amount over the course of the contract. All he needs is to avg. is 15-20 goals and 50-60 points in the top 6. The AAV is really not that high and hopefully management will be different by the end of the contract.

It's 6 years x 4,75

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
The compensation for an offer sheet for White would likely be a 2020 1RD and 2RD pick. That would be interesting depending who signed him to the offer sheet. Would you trade White for a lottery pick in 2020? Would any team give us a lottery pick for him?

Not eligible but why would a team that is in the lottery offer sheet Colin White? Makes no sense...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Retroactive perspective - let’s hope White is more Turris/EK than Ryan/Smith

Fans were excited in all 4 of those signings (same as this thread). We got positive value out of Turks/EK and negative value out of Smith/Ryan. Time will tell.

Ryan

Smith

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Fans were excited in all 4 of those signings (same as this thread). We got positive value out of Turks/EK and negative value out of Smith/Ryan. Time will tell.

Ryan

Smith

Between 2 threads on Colin White you have posted about 20 posts at least on how White is not worth X and how the Sens would make a mistake giving him the type of contract he just got.. Are you trying to convince people? How many would you say you have convinced so far?

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Between 2 threads on Colin White you have posted about 20 posts at least on how White is not worth X and how the Sens would make a mistake giving him the type of contract he just got.. Are you trying to convince people? How many would you say you have convinced so far?

Zero. Although I am not the only person who thinks this may be aggressive. My last post didn’t suggest he isn’t worth the money. I just showed typical fan reactions and likely outcomes of these contracts. Fans usually love player signings and those feeling can change over time. Would you prefer me to rubber stamp it is a great signing ? Somewhere down the road we will need an extra $2-3 million to sign a player. I hope this one doesn’t cost us.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It's just his opinion. Not everyone will agree on everything.

In regards to Bobby Ryan as Sweatred just posted, I don't think that contract was a mistake at the time. IMO it had to be done.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Zero. Although I am not the only person who thinks this may be aggressive. My last post didn’t suggest he isn’t worth the money. I just showed typical fan reactions and likely outcomes of these contracts. Fans usually love player signings and those feeling can change over time. Would you prefer me to rubber stamp it is a great signing ? Somewhere down the road we will need an extra $2-3 million to sign a player. I hope this one doesn’t cost us.

Lmao.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario

In regards to Bobby Ryan as Sweatred just posted, I don't think that contract was a mistake at the time. IMO it had to be done.

Don't wanna speak for Anarchy, but I read it as, maybe bring something more to the party for why it was a bad signing than previous fan opinions on other signings.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Money and contract was 100% a problem and mistake, but like you said, the optics made this signing an absolute necessity.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zero. Although I am not the only person who thinks this may be aggressive. My last post didn’t suggest he isn’t worth the money. I just showed typical fan reactions and likely outcomes of these contracts. Fans usually love player signings and those feeling can change over time. Would you prefer me to rubber stamp it is a great signing ?

I think Colin White has drive and will be dedicated and continue to work on his game because he is passionate about the game and wants to get better. Not Bobby Ryan-esque at all.
I think Colin White is more skilled than Zack Smith now. That will improve as well as he works on his game. Zack is a bigger stronger player and White's play and effectiveness in the dirty areas in front of the net and on the boards at both ends of the ice will improve as he gets stronger as well. He displays a willingness to battle now.

Do you think Colin White will ... sit back and collect his 4 + million .. and say thanks a bunch or is he the type of personality to continue to work at and improve his game?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Thanks tips. I am aware its his opinion. Not sure he need you to tell us / me that. I am also aware not everyone will agree on everything... very profound, thought provoking statement.

I agree .. signing Ryan was a must... its almost like signing Duchene was a must after giving up what we did to get either one of them. Turns out Bobby Ryan wasn't the player most of us thought he was.. it happens. Happening with Ryan has absolutely no bearing on what White will or will not do.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Colin White has drive and will be dedicated and continue to work on his game because he is passionate about the game and wants to get better. Not Bobby Ryan-esque at all.
I think Colin White is more skilled than Zack Smith now. That will improve as well as he works on his game. Zack is a bigger stronger player and White's play and effectiveness in the dirty areas in front of the net and on the boards at both ends of the ice will improve as he gets stronger as well. He displays a willingness to battle now.

Do you think Colin White will ... sit back and collect his 4 + million .. and say thanks a bunch or is he the type of personality to continue to work at and improve his game?

I enjoy your reading posts and appreciate your insight. I don’t know White at all but I am a little worried that financial security may shy him away from (what I think) is the tough/dirty game he needs to play to return value on his contract. He will get some goals off the rush but I think he will continue to need to get dirty goals in front of the crease.

The league is viscous and he is undersized to play a physical game. I’m not sure the skill is there to let him play a pure skill game. I don’t now how financial security and a couple of kids (future family) may influence his game. I hope he is motivated for a home run contract in 6 years and spend the next 6 years running through walls for the Sens.

Perspective - I thought the Neil contracts were brutal overpays too. In retro I think we got good value for most of his years.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Don't wanna speak for Anarchy, but I read it as, maybe bring something more to the party for why it was a bad signing than previous fan opinions on other signings.

Interesting - we don’t really have any info here on the White signing other than “fan opinions” saying it is a good signing.

My point was to provide retrospection to the the enthusiasm around player signings. Sorry if it bothered you or you found it useless. You are free to ignore.

We are not the Leafs and we can’t just burry bad contracts. I don’t know if this will be a bad contract but my hesitation comes from a concern for 3 years from now when we may be pinching pennies to pay EB, Bath or AL.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I enjoy your reading posts and appreciate your insight. I don’t know White at all but I am a little worried that financial security may shy him away from (what I think) is the though/dirty game he needs to play to return value on his contract. He will get some goals off the rush but I think he will continue to need to get dirty goals in front of the crease.

The league is viscous and he is undersized to play a physical game. I’m not sure the skill is there to let him play a pure skill game. I don’t now how financial security and a couple of kids (future family) may influence his game. I hope he is motivated for a home run contract in 6 years and spend the next 6 years running through walls for the Sens.

Perspective - I thought the Neil contracts were brutal overpays too. In retro I think we got good value for most of his years.
Don't see that at all from White. He said his goal now is to outplay the contract. He is known for his two way play and work ethic, being a team guy, etc. I don't see him dropping off in that regard.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Don't see that at all from White. He said his goal now is to outplay the contract. He is known for his two way play and work ethic, being a team guy, etc. I don't see him dropping off in that regard.

I would like nothing more than for his health, skill, and work ethic to come together and outplay the contract. I will be cheering for him as much as anyone (well almost anyone;))

Edit - Without trying to argue -

We have seen the Sens take a step back from signing FA. They take a lot of heat for not keeping KT, EK, MD, RD, MS etc.

Kyle Turris is a perfect “I told you so” contract they avoided. I think the Sens have gone Uber conservative about trying to limit contracts that could offer negative value. Personally, I think the EK, KT, and MD contracts will all turn negative before they are over. With limited resources I don’t think this is a bad approach to build a roster. EM will take heat for being cheep (hope he is gone soon) but with an internal budget of ?$70 million we can’t win a cup with $10+/yr of dead value.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol, why would we compare a healthy roster of five games when we have a much larger sample size that can be used.

White’s most common linemates were Tkachuk, Stone and Chabot

Turris’ most common linemates were Silfverberg, Alfredsson and Methot

Which trio are you taking?

Kyle Turris - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

Sorry Micklebot, but this should be clear.
The whole point i was making is that Turris was criticized during that year for his slump, the first half of which only Spezza was missing for. You said you don't recall criticism, i'm just trying to remind you of the circumstances and facts that lead to that criticism.

Heck, a full third of his goals came in the first 4 games when the team was healthy and another two bringing the total just shy of half in the final three games when Karksson and Michalek were back and only Spezza was gone. Over a quarter of his production came from those 8 games when the team was icing its full roster or close to it so if your going to bring up him leading the team in goals lets be clear that wasn't done while all those pieces were missing. Games 15 to 45 when Kalsson Michalek and Spezza were all gone was a similar roster to White after the deadline. During that time Turris production was a 15 goal, 40 pts pace per 82. White only saw 15 games post deadline but his overall production didn't dip putting up 9 pts though just like turris he had more trouble scoing goals.

If you want to compare the two rather than discuss the very real criticism Turris recieved during his goal scoring slump, look at how the performed when the circumstances were similar. Post deadline White to middle of the season Turris. Their production in similar circumstances really isn't that far appart. Turris did better during the small sample when his roster was significantly better, White did better when both rosters were depleted.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ryan

Smith

Who the heck was excited about the Zack Smith signing other than Zack Smith and Pierre Dorion?

I thought everyone called that as a terrible deal the moment it was announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad