Player Discussion Colin White signed for 6 years x $4.75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The White fan base is so hung up on those 41pts last year. Behind that is a undeveloped player who is weak on the puck and a turnover machine. His play prob slots him in the top 6 lines in the org. The worst thing for his development was picking up those points with Stone. It got everyone so excited.

If you don’t see that I agree there is no need to continue here.

This might surprise you, but some of us actually watch the games and pay proper attention to the play on the ice as opposed to simply looking at stats.

I can guarantee you that Dorion did not reward White with that contract just by glossing over the stats sheet at the end of the season. It is insulting that you assume we think that White is a good player with potential based only on his point totals from last season.

99% of posters here have admitted that White is having a bad year, but if you are so quick to discount his "good season" last year because of one bad half season, then we will continue to do the same by discounting this bad half season thus far based on many years of above average hockey from this player over the years.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This might surprise you, but some of us actually watch the games and pay proper attention to the play on the ice as opposed to simply looking at stats.

I can guarantee you that Dorion did not reward White with that contract just by glossing over the stats sheet at the end of the season. It is insulting that you assume we think that White is a good player with potential based only on his point totals from last season.

99% of posters here have admitted that White is having a bad year, but if you are so quick to discount his "good season" last year because of one bad half season, then we will continue to do the same by discounting this bad half season thus far based on many years of above average hockey from this player over the years.

I am not sure what metric you can use other then White’s 2018 MD/MS points that make him look decent .... my entire view on White is based on his lack of execution, give aways, mis plays etc etc both in 2018 and 2019. I think it is fair to say we just disagree on player eval. I didn’t think he was executing well when he was picking up points with MD and MS... I am not really sure what to say when you flip the point card on me other then I am fine to move on. I am eager for him to outplay Ennis, Paul, or Chaplik.

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleBeat

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He is far too disengaged physically. NHL.com has him listed at having only 19 hits in 33 games played. That seems like something well within his control and could help him create some turnovers that could maybe lead to scoring chances. But even then he only had 23 hits in 71 games played last season so maybe he will struggle to commit to a more physical game.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He is far too disengaged physically. NHL.com has him listed at having only 19 hits in 33 games played. That seems like something well within his control and could help him create some turnovers that could maybe lead to scoring chances. But even then he only had 23 hits in 71 games played last season so maybe he will struggle to commit to a more physical game.

He’s got his $26 mill... life is good.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
Colin is definitely looking better as of late. Hopefully he could keep trending in this direction.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
He’s got his $26 mill... life is good.

He probably was busy house shopping,boat shopping, car shopping, vacation home shopping and traveling this summer.
Next year we will see if he can focus, I know if I saw a contract that big I would be distracted by all sorts of big dreams and plans

Reactions: Sweatred

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
nice little game last night.
Looked like he should have had an assist on the Ennis goal...he forced 2 turnovers in a row there.

Will be very interesting to see if any of the chronic complainers are able to give him any credit at all if he turns it around as the season goes on.

He is clearly trending in the right direction and looked much more comfortable at C last night.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Looked like he should have had an assist on the Ennis goal...he forced 2 turnovers in a row there.

Will be very interesting to see if any of the chronic complainers are able to give him any credit at all if he turns it around as the season goes on.

He is clearly trending in the right direction and looked much more comfortable at C last night.

I doubt anyone would want anything but Colin White to earn his $4.75. That would be great for the team, fans etc.

Identifying White’s struggles isn’t any different that recognizing Boro , Brown, or Batherson’s struggles. There just isn’t a corner of the fan base that empathically defends those guys beyond the obvious.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I doubt anyone would want anything but Colin White to earn his $4.75. That would be great for the team, fans etc.

Identifying White’s struggles isn’t any different that recognizing Boro , Brown, or Batherson’s struggles. There just isn’t a corner of the fan base that empathically defends those guys beyond the obvious.

LOL!

It's hilarious how some can view a player, obsessively comment in multiple threads about their perceived shortcomings while removing any context (history of success and production, age, injuries, roster transition, etc...) to create a fabricated narrative (the whole salary thing for 1) and then be aghast when other posters react with measured comments bringing very valid counterpoints.

The fabricated narrative is somehow supposed to be the, "truth" so that posters can then turn around and call those with opposing views, "apologists".

As far as Boro, Brown, Batherson all have posters who can see their positives and specific to the younger ones the same "apologists" probably have the same reaction. Calm down and take a breath - the NHL is a tough league to get your footing in, so have some patience and let kids develop.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
LOL!

It's hilarious how some can view a player, obsessively comment in multiple threads about their perceived shortcomings while removing any context (history of success and production, age, injuries, roster transition, etc...) to create a fabricated narrative (the whole salary thing for 1) and then be aghast when other posters react with measured comments bringing very valid counterpoints.

The fabricated narrative is somehow supposed to be the, "truth" so that posters can then turn around and call those with opposing views, "apologists".

As far as Boro, Brown, Batherson all have posters who can see their positives and specific to the younger ones the same "apologists" probably have the same reaction. Calm down and take a breath - the NHL is a tough league to get your footing in, so have some patience and let kids develop.

Excuse me ? I’m not apologizing for anything . I have said 1000x I don’t think he deserved $4.75 last year. I have also said I expect to get better as he peaks in his mid 25’s... you are welcome to quote anything I have said and I am happy to provide examples if you need them.

Take a big breathe. White has a long way to go. I hope he gets there - I bought my kid his jersey. I’ll buy him Brown’s too but I don’t think he deserves $4.75 yet either.

The only risk of a false narrative around here [are those] who thinks he is a finished project. I’m sorry if you can’t see the development he needs. [mod edited]

Last edited by a moderator:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don’t see White becoming anything more than a Phillip Danault type player, i.e., a second to third line tweener.
What's wrong with White becoming a 2nd line or 3rd line centre, IMO he is going to be better than Pageau offensively before all is said & done? Ottawa just needs their top prospects to eventually step up & support him on the wings.

Reactions: OD99

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What's wrong with White becoming a 2nd line or 3rd line centre, IMO he is going to be better than Pageau offensively before all is said & done? Ottawa just needs their top prospects to eventually step up & support him on the wings.

There is nothing wrong for White to become a 2-3C. It is a good projection for his skill. It is a minor detail... but I think we should wait until our 3C players become 3C players before we pay them. We will get in trouble if this org starts playing players for what they want them to become before they earn it.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don’t see White becoming anything more than a Phillip Danault type player, i.e., a second to third line tweener.
I don't completely disagree but I think he has higher upside potential with a decent chance of being a legit #2C.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Excuse me ? I’m not apologizing for anything . I have said 1000x I don’t think he deserved $4.75 last year. I have also said I expect to get better as he peaks in his mid 25’s... you are welcome to quote anything I have said and I am happy to provide examples if you need them.

Take a big breathe. White has a long way to go. I hope he gets there - I bought my kid his jersey. I’ll buy him Brown’s too but I don’t think he deserves $4.75 yet either.

The only risk of a false narrative around here [are those] who thinks he is a finished project. I’m sorry if you can’t see the development he needs. [mod edited]

I think you either skimmed my post without taking it all in or are quoting the wrong post.

Never asked you to apologize, I explained why people have a differing view.

Explaining the differing view is all about everyone else understanding there is lots of development to be had - a direct contrast to your constant refrain about how bad is contract is because he has had a slow start to his sophomore season after sustaining multiple injuries (one being very significant and taking away one of his best attributes, speed).

Hope that clears my view up for you.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think you either skimmed my post without taking it all in or are quoting the wrong post.

Never asked you to apologize, I explained why people have a differing view.

Explaining the differing view is all about everyone else understanding there is lots of development to be had - a direct contrast to your constant refrain about how bad is contract is because he has had a slow start to his sophomore season after sustaining multiple injuries (one being very significant and taking away one of his best attributes, speed).

Hope that clears my view up for you.

Ya fair enough. It’s hard for me to weed through passive insults in “anti/anti White” threads. To be honest I’m not clear on your point but fine to pass it off to the communication gap of an online forum.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is nothing wrong for White to become a 2-3C. It is a good projection for his skill. It is a minor detail... but I think we should wait until our 3C players become 3C players before we pay them. We will get in trouble if this org starts playing players for what they want them to become before they earn it.

While true, I think he is certainly trending in the right direction & if the cap continues to go up as it has forever now it seems his contract could turn into a bargain in a couple of yrs. Having said that though, I think their could be a very interesting race between White & Norris in a couple of yrs as to who plays 2C or 3C & if the Sens are lucky enough to draft Byfield or another very good centre one of these two could get moved.

And then there is Pinto who could be a C or RW in the NHL to also possibly challenge in a few yrs. Even if White at some point gets passed I'm quite certain that it wouldn't be too difficult to move him if necessary even with that salary.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
While true, I think he is certainly trending in the right direction & if the cap continues to go up as it has forever now it seems his contract could turn into a bargain in a couple of yrs. Having said that though, I think their could be a very interesting race between White & Norris in a couple of yrs as to who plays 2C or 3C & if the Sens are lucky enough to draft Byfield or another very good centre one of these two could get moved.

And then there is Pinto who could be a C or RW in the NHL to also possibly challenge in a few yrs. Even if White at some point gets passed I'm quite certain that it wouldn't be too difficult to move him if necessary even with that salary.

I watched Norris last night and I didn’t see a 2C-3C shut down type Center. I think he will end up on an offensive line as a 2C or winger if he continues his development curve. He is faster and more skilled than I thought but also small... mind you everyone looks small beside Brown , Bath, Form etc.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I watched Norris last night and I didn’t see a 2C-3C shut down type Center. I think he will end up on an offensive line as a 2C or winger if he continues his development curve. He is faster and more skilled than I thought but also small... mind you everyone looks small beside Brown , Bath, Form etc.
My point is that Norris could challenge White for the 2C at some future point since I see him as being slightly better offensively, so I agree with that point. Norris is not small ... check this site ... 6"2, 192 lbs & growing.

Josh Norris at eliteprospects.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad