Post-Game Talk: Cole's Plus/Minus: Zucker firing candy hearts at the Habs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
I personally like Riikola but I heard something from Sully today that really caught my attention. He said "Pets is not a guy who just fires it off the glass and out and we need that vision on our defense." And I think that's what he hates about Riikola. Riiko is a simple player. I like his skillset. But I think Sully does not.

I agree with Sully on what we need on defense. Not sure I personally agree with his view on what Pettersson is at the moment.

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No it's not "Zooker", it's Zucker. Just like it's not "Ja-Re", it's Jarry (like in to "carry" something). And it's not "Sha-Re" it's Sheary (like in the shear size of it).

Pens players all be like

You want to pronounce it differently you change the ****ing spelling in your passport.

ORDNUNG MUSS SEIN!

Damn y'all, /discussion....Slaypes Hut Her has spoken.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I personally like Riikola but I heard something from Sully today that really caught my attention. He said "Pets is not a guy who just fires it off the glass and out and we need that vision on our defense." And I think that's what he hates about Riikola. Riiko is a simple player. I like his skillset. But I think Sully does not.

Totally bizarre if he believes that.

Riikola is the guy who plays with his head up and I think maybe seems too calm with the puck on his stick for Sullivan’s liking I guess.

Petts has way too many hot potato moments with the puck and throws it up the boards without any support or bumbles it in a panic.

Petts is the McCann of the defense... looks good one shift, total spaz the next.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Pop isn't just a Pittsburgh thing, Canada says pop.

I imagine most Pittsburghers don't use most of these words on a regular basis and it's a special type that do? I've seen videos of Canadian slang, some are accurate (except saying "chesterfield" instead of a couch, the only people who say that are old) but then I heard supposed Toronto slang and I've never heard anybody talk like that and I live just a couple of hours away and know plenty of people from Toronto. I imagine plenty of it is just a schtick and they're talking like idiots on purpose.

Also, I've never heard a single person in my entire life say "aboot" instead of about so I'm not sure where that comes from. Maybe Americans have been talking to Newfies but they all talk funny, that's just a different language entirely.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Pop isn't just a Pittsburgh thing, Canada says pop.

I imagine most Pittsburghers don't use most of these words on a regular basis and it's a special type that do? I've seen videos of Canadian slang, some are accurate (except saying "chesterfield" instead of a couch, the only people who say that are old) but then I heard supposed Toronto slang and I've never heard anybody talk like that and I live just a couple of hours away and know plenty of people from Toronto. I imagine plenty of it is just a schtick and they're talking like idiots on purpose.

I dunno man, my extended family sure drops some of these terms regularly.

And they're from Mt Lebanon, so you would think they would be like...more high class or something?

So either it is still real for 'real' Pittsburghers...or my extended family are idiots.

The second option is quite likely.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
So either it is still real for 'real' Pittsburghers...or my extended family are idiots.

I just wonder if it's the same as people around where I live putting on the fake "country bro-redneck" thing that some do ("going for a rip are ya bud?") when normal people don't speak that way. I've been all over the States when I was younger but unfortunately have never been to Pittsburgh so I don't know.

I must say, the regional dialect/accents in the US varies so much more than Canada (with the exception of the aforementioned Newfies and obviously Quebec/French speaking communities).

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
I just wonder if it's the same as people around where I live putting on the fake "country bro-redneck" thing that some do ("going for a rip are ya bud?") when normal people don't speak that way. I've been all over the States when I was younger but unfortunately have never been to Pittsburgh so I don't know.

I must say, the regional dialect/accents in the US varies so much more than Canada (with the exception of the aforementioned Newfies and obviously Quebec/French speaking communities).

Mine for sure roll out worsh and warter and...some of my family are from Missouri--or...Missurah....

*sigh*

Then there is the other half from Germany that learned English from a Hungarian in a machine shop...so like...f*** lol I was sent to speech therapy as a kid---but I was around my German grandparents and their terrible English, school was laughing when they found out the reason I said 'tousand' instead of thousand.

They got my cousin in trouble too. After a trip to the zoo where they saw a bunch of pigeons. And my little cousin relayed the story to his 1st grade class, as 'they went to the zoo...and was b*tchin' there...." ahhah the Catholic school called his parents and he was crying and they were demanding to know why he was running around saying b*tchins this and that hahahahaha. My grandfather couldn't say pigeons without it sounding like b*tchins lol

Last edited:

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Mine for sure roll out worsh and warter and...some of my family are from Missouri--or...Missurah....

*sigh*

Then there is the other half from Germany that learned English from a Hungarian in a machine shop...so like...**** lol I was sent to speech therapy as a kid---but I was around my German grandparents and their terrible English, school was laughing when they found out the reason I said 'tousand' instead of thousand.

They got my cousin in trouble too. After a trip to the zoo where they saw a bunch of pigeons. And my little cousin relayed the story to his 1st grade class, as 'they went to the zoo...and was b*tchin' there...." ahhah the Catholic school called his parents and he was crying and they were demanding to know why he was running around saying b*tchins this and that hahahahaha. My grandfather couldn't say pigeons without it sounding like b*tchins lol
Haha that's funny.

Kind of reminds me of the story that Krzysztof Oliwa who learned English from hockey players at the rink so he apparently would curse like a sailor and didn't realize some of that language could be inappropriate in other situations.

Reactions: EightyOne

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

And they're from Mt Lebanon, so you would think they would be like...more high class or something?

Ya I was embarrassed by some in my family when they met my Canadian wife (gf at the time) and they started speaking Pittsburghese.

She started asking me what Yinz, crick, warsher meant...

Most of my family speaks normally but a handful got that Yinzer in them I guess.

Also agree with the above about Newfie’s... absolutely love their accent but every time I used to speak to one I had no f***ing clue what they were saying and would just agree with everything.

Eventually had a Newfie neighbor so after speaking to him for a year I got used to the dialect.

Reactions: EightyOne

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
How on earth did McCann not score, he had like ten glorious chances. Then again, we won, Geno isn't fighting for Art Ross or anything so I think he will be okay with setting up his linemates for so many chances without getting rewarded. Sid and Zucker seems like the start of something beautiful, you gotta be excited and pray for no more injuries to star players. Jarry was tremendous, I am taking half the credit because I kept him on the bench for my fantasy team.
And of course, ZAR with a dumb penalty, missing chances and for a change getting a gift-wrapped EN at the end.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Boo hoo poor Riikola, the guy who never went to the A instead directly on one of the NHL’s best lineups.

The posters here cannot process the idea of “depth”. Too busy being fanboys and chasing advanced stats while drafting up a new way to trash one of the best coaches in the league.

Riikola has always been a low risk/high reward project. Everything is going forward as planned. Stop the outrage.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We turned the puck over quite a lot inside our blue line which helped garner the Habs zone time, pressure and some good scoring chances. We need to be better in our end. Very sloppy at times.

Yeah, this is very true, and it means I'd go no further than decent - but I thought we handled the extended zone time well for the most part, 3rd for a little sloppy.

It's more or less about his usage. It's **** mate.

Even if this is true, it's still NHL usage that keeps his career progressing. It shouldn't be a huge issue for him. He's not the first guy here who's had to play his way through excessive depth here.

I see LHD JR playing well enough to get GM JR to drop LHD JJ the player by next year, and I get excited.

LHD JR isn't fantastic but he is functional and cheap. And we need cheap next year since we're friggin up against it.

I don't see what in that take is remotely controversial. Aside from Pixies stawmanning that take into "u think he's first pairing lol."

I wouldn't get excited. Rutherford and Sully clearly value the type of player JJ is. If JJ goes, we're getting another one like him (hopefully better). Maybe Riikola gets lucky and its a RH JJ?

This is an argument that certain posters have been arguing since the Simon Despres days around here.

At least Despres actually deserved that praise.

The fact is JJ and Pettersson are better than Riikola and Riikola is a liability. With our RD being a mess right now we can’t afford to play Riikola regular minutes.

It is why we could look for a Schultz swap. Because having a player to make a solid pairing with Riikola would be great for a third pairing. It is why Ruh and Marino and him have looked really good.

Wonder what would have happened if Marino had emerged slightly less fast and we kept Gudzilla and run him with Riikola like the original plan was.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've beaten a dead horse already on why Riikola isn't going to replace JJ when the team is healthy, so it's a waste of my keystrokes to try and argue it further. Riikola is not even remotely similar of a player to JJ, and saying that Riikola can just step into JJ's role shows a lack of understanding of team building.

Hopefully Riikola gets more comfortable on RD going forward, because he's a logical replacement for Schultz in the long run. I'm at least comfortable with a JJ-Riikola bottom pair, it may need to be addressed later in the year but it's not bad to open the season with it.

But yeah, Zucker is a go, Simon has looked awesome with Crosby and Zucker and I thought McCann had a really good game on LW last night. Your lineup could fall into place pretty nicely if the team gets healthy (sans Guentzel) if McCann can click on Malkin's LW:

Zucker-Crosby-Simon
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR/rental-Blueger-Tanev

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Not that I want any more injuries, but if everybody makes it back, most of our important guys will have had a period of extended time off before the playoffs roll around, which I suppose is the silver lining in the injury clouds. The one I wonder about is Tanev; can he really keep playing his style into June without a break? I'm not so sure.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Totally bizarre if he believes that.

Riikola is the guy who plays with his head up and I think maybe seems too calm with the puck on his stick for Sullivan’s liking I guess.

Petts has way too many hot potato moments with the puck and throws it up the boards without any support or bumbles it in a panic.

Petts is the McCann of the defense... looks good one shift, total spaz the next.

Like I said - i completely see the same thing. Especially with Pets. But those were Sully's words and it really caught me off guard. And that's not bad mouthing Sully as I feel he deserves coach of the year. JR deserves GM of the year. Those 2 are amazing. But like everyone else, I feel Riiko should get more chances as #6 than others.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I've beaten a dead horse already on why Riikola isn't going to replace JJ when the team is healthy, so it's a waste of my keystrokes to try and argue it further. Riikola is not even remotely similar of a player to JJ, and saying that Riikola can just step into JJ's role shows a lack of understanding of team building.

I'm not a "role" guy. I'm a "get good players that coalesce into a certain style" guy.

Riikola is arguably a better player than JJ now and I'd bet my bottom dollar that he'll be much better over the next 3 years.

Reactions: The Old Master

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I've beaten a dead horse already on why Riikola isn't going to replace JJ when the team is healthy, so it's a waste of my keystrokes to try and argue it further. Riikola is not even remotely similar

Hopefully Riikola gets more comfortable on RD going forward, because he's a logical replacement for Schultz in the long run. I'm at least comfortable with a JJ-Riikola bottom pair, it may need to be addressed later in the year but it's not bad to open the season with it.

But yeah, Zucker is a go, Simon has looked awesome with Crosby and Zucker and I thought McCann had a really good game on LW last night. Your lineup could fall into place pretty nicely if the team gets healthy (sans Guentzel) if McCann can click on Malkin's LW:

Zucker-Crosby-Simon
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR/rental-Blueger-Tanev

shows a lack of understanding of team building.

Zucker-Crosby-Simon
McCann-Malkin-Rust
Kahun-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR/rental-Blueger-Tanev

good post especially the lack of understanding of team building part.

like if Riikola wants to be permanently in the lineup he’s going to need to find a way to get his big shot off quicker in traffic 5 on 5.

show some more offense while continually adjusting to the smaller ice.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The coaching staff aren’t allowed to have favorites but the Internet posters are.

Seems....I don’t know...hypocritical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad